A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My decision is made... Just like Leonardo Di Caprio...... 'I'm not Leaving..... This S***tshow Goes on'!!!!

The Referee Store
Interestingly, the virus was originally referred to as WuFlu (as many other viruses are known by their origin), but that was name quashed so as not to hurt anyone's feelings, despite the likely jump to humans in the ghastly wet markets of Wuhan

Interestingly, the virus was originally referred to as WuFlu (as many other viruses are known by their origin), but that was name quashed so as not to hurt anyone's feelings, despite the likely jump to humans in the ghastly wet markets of Wuhan
It wasn't "originally referred to as WuFlu" as far as anything I can remember reading about it. Some people on social media stated calling it that after a while but that was never its real name. Although cases were first publicised in Wuhan, it's not been scientifically proven beyond doubt to have come from the Huanan Seafood Market.

I'm not sure what you mean by "quashed" - the WHO always takes some time to come up with an official name for a newly-emerged virus but even though they have now done so, some people still refer to it as WuFlu. The name doesn't even make any sense, for starters it's not even a form of flu.

It wasn't "originally referred to as WuFlu" as far as anything I can remember reading about it. Some people on social media stated calling it that after a while but that was never its real name. Although cases were first publicised in Wuhan, it's not been scientifically proven beyond doubt to have come from the Huanan Seafood Market.

I'm not sure what you mean by "quashed" - the WHO always takes some time to come up with an official name for a newly-emerged virus but even though they have now done so, some people still refer to it as WuFlu. The name doesn't even make any sense, for starters it's not even a form of flu.
Thanks Peter. I'm sure you're well read on the subject, but I was just quoting something a Virologist said on the radio

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I'm sure you're well read on the subject, but I was just quoting something a Virologist said on the radio
I'd be surprised if a virologist said it was "originally" called the WuFlu as that was never its official name but what they would have said (because it's true) is that current practice is to avoid giving a name to a virus that identifies it with a particular location, as it tends to stigmatize that location and its people. MERS was a recent exception but it didn't tie it down to a specific town, province or country.

Regardless of what is was originally called, the panic buying that some people are engaging in is absolutely ridiculous. Even if you do get self-quarantined, there's this thing that most people have surely heard of called home delivery. It is also incredibly selfish, not just because in buying 20 packs of anti-bacterial soap / sanitiser you are denying others the chance to follow recommended hygiene steps, but also there are a lot of people on low income, including the elderly, that can't afford to buy weeks in advance and are now suffering as they can't get everything they need in their weekly shop.

Society really hasn't made itself look very good in the past couple of week ....

Regardless of what is was originally called, the panic buying that some people are engaging in is absolutely ridiculous. Even if you do get self-quarantined, there's this thing that most people have surely heard of called home delivery. It is also incredibly selfish, not just because in buying 20 packs of anti-bacterial soap / sanitiser you are denying others the chance to follow recommended hygiene steps, but also there are a lot of people on low income, including the elderly, that can't afford to buy weeks in advance and are now suffering as they can't get everything they need in their weekly shop.

Society really hasn't made itself look very good in the past couple of week ....
Society rarely does.........

I'd be surprised if a virologist said it was "originally" called the WuFlu as that was never its official name but what they would have said (because it's true) is that current practice is to avoid giving a name to a virus that identifies it with a particular location, as it tends to stigmatize that location and its people. MERS was a recent exception but it didn't tie it down to a specific town, province or country.
Thanks for questioning my integrity. Distasteful

Last edited:

I've never been put off by going to Spain!!

WuFlu is a much better name than covid-19. How can you put numbers in the name of a virus? And, when is covid-20 coming out?

How are the residents of Hull doing with this new washing hands lark @Mintyref

Washing hands....no..don't think they all do that........panic buy loo roll, beans, bread, frozen chips and all the alcohol (except the fortified wine....) yes....

WuFlu is a much better name than covid-19. How can you put numbers in the name of a virus? And, when is covid-20 coming out?
Covid 20 (the sequel) is due for release in some far flung region of the Peoples Republic of China, some time late this year, just on time for the holiday season I believe.....

Covid 20 (the sequel) is due for release in some far flung region of the Peoples Republic of China, some time late this year, just on time for the holiday season I believe.....
I went into the Chemists earlier and asked the assistant for that stuff that helps get rid of the virus!
‘Ammonia Cleaner’ she said....
‘oh, sorry, I thought you worked here’ 🥰

I've never been put off by going to Spain!!
To be fair that was 1918, and I'd wager that many people have never heard of it at any rate.

Interestingly, experts believe that Spanish flu could have originated in a British camp in France, an American Army camp in Kansas, or, it originated in China and was bought to Europe by the Chinese labourers bought in by the French and British.

Spain was merely the first country to report the deaths, they were neutral so had no reason to hide potential weaknesses.

On the matter of panic buying, I suspect that most people aren't doing it because they're scared that supply chains will break down etc, but more that they are worried that there will be nothing left for them by the other people panic buying.

Let’s get our priorities right, let’s get some milk, eggs, tins, flour, cereal........ nah,,,,,,, sod that.... lets fill the car with bog rolls! 😂

Thanks for questioning my integrity. Distasteful
I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention - I was meaning to convey that I would be surprised at a virologist for saying that. As I say, it's not a flu and that was not the original name (in scientific/medical circles it was originally just referred to as a 'novel coronavirus') so I couldn't imagine why such a person would say that.

WuFlu is a much better name than covid-19. How can you put numbers in the name of a virus?
OK, so I'm going to have to go into 'pedant mode' here (some might say I never leave it). :)

Firstly, it's not the name of the virus (which is SARS-CoV-2), it's the name of the disease it causes. The chosen disease name contains the number to indicate in which year it was first detected and is short for 'Coronavirus disease 2019'.

WuFlu is in no way, shape or form an accurate, scientific name for the disease or the virus - if for no other reason than the fact that as mentioned several times, it is not a flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back