A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question, why, what difference would that possibly make as a positive to the situation?? The PFA haven’t come out of this too well, this is just another example of how out of touch they are!

The Referee Store
Prem bods today talking about shortened matches to help finish the season! That surely won’t fly. It would start to become a different sport.
I also don't really see how it will make that much difference? If one of the players is carrying the virus, I don't see how playing for only 60 minutes would really significantly reduce the risk of contamination with such a contagious virus.

One question, why, what difference would that possibly make as a positive to the situation?? The PFA haven’t come out of this too well, this is just another example of how out of touch they are!

I agree, its like saying the virus wont get you in the 13th minute but to make sure it does not get you in the 43rd minute, we will stop on 30min
Damage limitation? Taking chances? Granted nothing in life is fail proof, ffs the player could crash his car on the way to the game, but, its either deemed as safe as it can be too play, or, its not.
i feel if we are going through the match process, the preparation, the medics on hand, the media circus, the match officials role, the diet, the cool down, the everything, then, the very least we can do is respect the duration of the match, or else, there is an underlying current of, well, if we are cutting corners on that, what else is being compromised?

I would make a guess the competition laws couldn't be amended, esp given as I doubt few, if any, contained a, global pandemic , clause....

the duration could not be changed, its impossible, as the phone in caller who had no idea what they were talking about indicated
Fixed it for you. I've been involved in football administration too long now to think that such a sweeping change could be made.

Anyway as your later post says, it won't matter if you catch it in 13th or the 43rd minute, you've still got it.

Fixed it for you. I've been involved in football administration too long now to think that such a sweeping change could be made.

Anyway as your later post says, it won't matter if you catch it in 13th or the 43rd minute, you've still got it.

not sparring for an argument but, your first line there (imo) sums up a lot of whats wrong with people in responsible positions.
that phrase, if you do always do what you have always done then you will always get what you have always got, springs to mind.

anyone can hold a tick box meeting exercise. Takes someone a bit more responsible to think outside that box.....

The idea of shortening halves was to deal with player fatigue because a lot of football will need to be played over a shorter period of time.

However, I think shortening halves would just result in matches being played at a much higher intensity (since energy will not need to be conserved to cover the whole 90 minutes), which basically defeats the purpose of easing player fatigue.

Lys Mousset hasn’t played 90 full minutes all season, usually lasts 65 minutes or comes on as a last 30 flying sub. He’s obviously got issues playing his high intensity speed game so any reduced game time would obviously suit certain players especially speedsters! Not really an issue for defenders and keepers surely!

The idea of shortening halves was to deal with player fatigue because a lot of football will need to be played over a shorter period of time.

However, I think shortening halves would just result in matches being played at a much higher intensity (since energy will not need to be conserved to cover the whole 90 minutes), which basically defeats the purpose of easing player fatigue.
I think it would have the same affect as the Golden Goal. Nervousness and defensive football. One of many square pegs in one of many round holes
Project Restart is not driven by nothing other than the path of least litigation resistance and financial consequences (which is understandable I guess)
Suppose it's obvious the integrity of the competition will take a back seat. The players would be a damn site safer than many normal folk, so that's less of a consideration imo

Last edited:

What a ridiculous idea though!! They're meant to be professional athletes!!
That's like saying, "Okay, let's have the Olympics as well but let's shorten all the track races!!"

(Can I say Snowflakes yet? :D)

A comparison of the cost of employing Gordon Taylor at the PFA £2,292,000 and his Scottish counterpart on £87,000. To put it another way, it takes 13.9 days for Gordon to earn the Scottish annual salary cost.2C198041-D01F-43AD-8CDA-B940A066DDA0.jpeg
Some people need to give their own head a shake before pontificating to others!!!!

Ifab has said that competitions can ditch VAR for the rest of the season according to the Guardian but I can’t find a citation.

That would be a fairly significant effect of Corona on football.

Also I’m aware of the syndrome where one uses the pandy as a lever for one’s own passion topics!

Notice how it's the clubs threatened with demotion who are vociferously claiming sporting integrity issues with restart proposals
Comical, that it's the integrity of these club's protestations which is glaringly conspicuous

Notice how it's the clubs threatened with demotion who are vociferously claiming sporting integrity issues with restart proposals
Comical, that it's the integrity of these club's protestations which is glaringly conspicuous

Try being up here, its Hearts v the world, ( as Partick and Stranraer have accepted their place in the pond).

Football here needs a board made up of three businessmen/woman from Tibet, who run say a successful prayer mat company, those three should be given a ten page factual document explaining the facts and asked to make a decision based on what they read
And whatever they say, even if it means Elgin win the top league, is how it must be

they might not have much knowledge on the workings of Scottish football

but what they report back will at least be honest and without self preservation,

not sparring for an argument but, your first line there (imo) sums up a lot of whats wrong with people in responsible positions.
that phrase, if you do always do what you have always done then you will always get what you have always got, springs to mind.

anyone can hold a tick box meeting exercise. Takes someone a bit more responsible to think outside that box.....
No argument forthcoming and I'm all for the proposal of new ideas to get to the end of the season HOWEVER, they are professional athletes, this is their job, they would face a similar fixture pile up if we'd been snowed off for 4-5 weeks in January and February. Compare it to your own employment whether current or in the past, how would your employer feel if you were only working say 24 of your 35 hour working week?

During the 70s it was common for teams to have to play several games over a very short period. It usually only affected the more successful teams and often influenced the outcome of the competitions, with some missing out on trophies they might otherwise have won. In this situation today, ALL teams are affected, so all will be affected by this compression. Of the ideas proposed, I think the shortening of games is one of the least viable.

And its nice to see you back after your hiatus.

No argument forthcoming and I'm all for the proposal of new ideas to get to the end of the season HOWEVER, they are professional athletes, this is their job, they would face a similar fixture pile up if we'd been snowed off for 4-5 weeks in January and February. Compare it to your own employment whether current or in the past, how would your employer feel if you were only working say 24 of your 35 hour working week?

During the 70s it was common for teams to have to play several games over a very short period. It usually only affected the more successful teams and often influenced the outcome of the competitions, with some missing out on trophies they might otherwise have won. In this situation today, ALL teams are affected, so all will be affected by this compression. Of the ideas proposed, I think the shortening of games is one of the least viable.

And its nice to see you back after your hiatus.

Oh, trust me, I am not in favour of shorter game, i was saying though, it was possible
And thanks, I trying very hard to be objective from now on!

Unless am really convinced on something!

Oh, trust me, I am not in favour of shorter game, i was saying though, it was possible
And thanks, I trying very hard to be objective from now on!

Unless am really convinced on something!
You were never convinced by the building of the new Falkirk Stadium were you? 🙈

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back