A&H

How to effectively follow the action at corners?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
I am finding corners the hardest part of refereeing games.
At the level I am refereeing the players are not necessarily certain of the drop zone of the ball from a corner and this means there is often a lot of contact, accidental or not.

It is hard to follow 16 bodies, watch for offences against/by the GK, follow the drop etc. Perhaps I am a bit concerned I might be ball watching.
I am proactive before corners with warnings, positioning is fine... with no ARs I take up more varied positioning e.g. back post goal line, and I move more... that and the friendlier nature of those no AR games means less contact and potential offences. It is the higher level games with NARs and feisty teams that are the challenge. I am using typical positioning, adjusting for the drop etc...

I am asking for (advanced) tips here... what are your tricks for what to focus on...?

The Referee Store
Harder for the first few but as the game progresses make a mental note of who is taking corners and where they are likely to place them, which will allow you to adjust your positioning for subsequent corners. Adapting your position also makes players aware that you're watching what's going on. As for the earlier ones, I think the best thing is to do what you've said - be proactive. Players know that from that point on, you'll be (in theory) watching them. Look at the danger areas - check for any players crowding the keeper (which could potentially lead to an infringement), as well as any players getting intimate with each other before the corner has been taken. In reality it's impossible for us to watch 16+ people at a time; we're only one person. Get as wide an angle as possible to give you the best possible view, and look for the common potential troublemakers. It's all about maximising your chances of seeing something.

Look at the danger areas - check for any players crowding the keeper (which could potentially lead to an infringement), as well as any players getting intimate with each other before the corner has been taken. In reality it's impossible for us to watch 16+ people at a time; we're only one person. Get as wide an angle as possible to give you the best possible view, and look for the common potential troublemakers. It's all about maximising your chances of seeing something.
Crowding the keeper and wider angle - interesting.
I am really quick to warn about arms and holding generally, but I very rarely warn about jockeying with a keeper - OK, that's something to consider.
The wider angle - hmm - probably not reality but I feel like a lot of corners are landing back post, edge of the GK area - and I am hesitant to go wider as I then don't get a good view of the GK or pushes. This is a tough one. In midfield I think I am good at anticipating the drop and changing the angle so e.g. I can easily see pushes - but at corners I am not getting that certainty...

I echo what Alex states. Infringements from the corner mark just don't happen, there's no point looking at the kicker - your assistant, neutral or not will alert you if there is anything that's wrong.

For me, I stand just inside of the penalty area on the side of the corner, where I stand looking at the goalkeeper until the moment the ball is kicked. My peripherals enable me to see any pushing in the area. As soon as I hear the ball being kicked, I don't look at it - there will be no infringement from a ball in mid air. Instead, I look at the players eyes. They tell me exactly where the ball is and where it will drop, with that, I will take a step or so to the left or to the right to get the best possible view of the majority of the players. You will certainly miss things, players are clever. The only thing you can do to minimise it is to be vocal before the kick is taken. Even if there isn't any pushing, I will always shout comments such as "No foul, no push, no pull, get your arms down" etc Just so it makes the players think that I've spotted something.

You will never see everything in the box from a corner, but positioning yourself well is the best way to be able to deal with it. That changes with every corner.

I've been told to establish a position where all of the players including Asst whether it being club or not insight so that you can see everything and if you don't see anything let it pass and wave away, you cannot give what you cannot see. I find corners hard aswell it is alot to watch out for but i give all players a warning before the kick is taken.

Tip: I tend to say i'm focusing on the in and around the keeper, that has worked for me as no players have gone near him when I've said that which is a bonus because that's a less part we need to focus on!

Corners become easier with experience!

You’ll never win, moaners will moan, if they’re all at it let them get on with it! Also you can brighten up a dull game in giving that surprise penalty too.... a pull or tug from a defender is a penalty, But do the same at both ends! Hopefully the penny will drop!

I tend to position myself at the corner of the Penalty Area at the side of the FoP the corner is being taken. The reason for this is twofold, and if you'll indulge me for a few moments I shall explain why my CK positioning is as such
Firstly it allows me to see if the ball is correctly positioned inside the 1yd arc prior to the ball being put back into play
Secondly I can pivot from the position mentioned above and have visual on the drop zone and therefore see any infringements occurring within the Goal Area

There was a corner a few weeks ago at Bramall Lane, away player placed it clearly clipping the line but on the pitch etc. Old bloke at the side of me was doing his nut, had to tell him to STFU as it was perfectly ok and the Lino wasn’t ‘f’kin useless’

I tend to position myself at the corner of the Penalty Area at the side of the FoP the corner is being taken. The reason for this is twofold, and if you'll indulge me for a few moments I shall explain why my CK positioning is as such
Firstly it allows me to see if the ball is correctly positioned inside the 1yd arc prior to the ball being put back into play
Secondly I can pivot from the position mentioned above and have visual on the drop zone and therefore see any infringements occurring within the Goal Area
When you are on your own there are much bigger things to worry about than correctly placed corner kicks imo.
For me when on own the 2 most important decisions at a corner are
1) goal no goal.
2) fouls and misconduct.

I was always coached and personally an advocate of taking a position on the goal line. This can be varied between far side and side the kick is taken from (for short corners).

With NARs then your position would be more suitable but in most cases opposite side to your assistant although this should be varied to suit style of corners, positioning of players to get optimum viewing angles.

With regards to following the action the best thing you can do is to have as much in view as possible. You will never spot everything but with as much in view as possible you get the best chance of seeing an infringement.
Also try and look for who is jostling and pushing before the kick is taken and if possible nip it in the bud before the corner comes in by verbal warning players involved or delaying the kick to have a chat.

There was a corner a few weeks ago at Bramall Lane, away player placed it clearly clipping the line but on the pitch etc. Old bloke at the side of me was doing his nut, had to tell him to STFU as it was perfectly ok and the Lino wasn’t ‘f’kin useless’

Happens at most grounds every week - even happened to me - specie using almost those exact words.

How you can get quite so worked up over a few inches at a corner at any level is amazing, at my humble level it defies belief!

Without neutral AR's, I 'm a big fan of standing off the goal line.
There's no such thing as perfect position. It's a matter of weighing up what is more likely to happen, what's more significant, and how much Position A enhances your ability to see one thing but compromises on another, versus position B.

The most important thing that can happen from a corner is a goal. That's a close ball in/out situation in the goal. It doesn't happen often, but there's only one position on the field that allows you to see it.

Ball going out on the way in is pretty important too, because missing that can lead to a goal or a penalty kick that shouldn't have been awarded. That's the problem with the 'off goal line' position - you do need to glance at the incoming ball while monitoring players. A quick glance shouldn't compromise too much.

It's probably the best position to spot deliberate handling too, especially on the goal line.

Other potential compromises of this position:
- your angle of view isn't as wide - I've never felt like this is a problem though. You can still see all the players in the box when you're looking back into them. I don't think I've ever had anything occur out of my field of view. Even the pushing and shoving behind the drop zone is still in my field of vision. I don't think happening out of your field of view is the issue, so I don't think this is a problem
- The angle means you may miss some contact. To be honest I also don't think this is a compromise - for every incident this gives you a worse view of, it gives you a better view of another one. I've caught plenty of holding/pushing in the back from players running in. That's probably the hardest one to see from this view, but I don't think it compromises that too much. Conversely, it gives you a great view of the pushing and shoving immediately around the keeper - and when players are falling over on the goal line and scrambling, your view is perfect, as opposed to trying to look through a crowd
- You're behind play if there's a counterattack. Yes, but these scenarios end 1 of 4 ways. 1) The ball is intercepted and goes out. 2) The ball is held up near the halfway line. 3) There's a foul, probably around the halfway line. This one is usually fairly clear and you can spot from anywhere on the pitch. 4) Ball goes all the way to the other goal and there's a tackle in the box. Worst case scenario, extremely unlikely and you're still pretty likely to be able to see what happens there. (see what I was saying earlier? Your position may be compromised for this a little, but you're not left completely incapable of the decision)
- I think the worst thing that can happen is the corner goes long to the far side, and play gets held up there. That's about the only scenario where your vision is pretty heavily compromised. So, if corners keep being long, you may not want to stand off the goal line on the short side. It's hard because you want to try running out but not through the centre of goals. I think I've ended up running behind the goals on low-level games at some point!!!
- Offside - I think this position is easier for some offside infringements, harder for others.

For me, considering what I said before about the most significant decision and where the pros/cons lie, I feel like standing off the goal line is almost always the best solution without a neutral AR. Basically, this is a detailed consideration of WHERE is play going to go? WHERE can I go to get the best view of it? GO there!

By all means, try different positions. As an assessor I might suggest that referees try this position but not tell them to.

And some games I've mixed it up if corners tend to go a certain way.

And of course, if it looks like the corner is going to be taken quickly - don't get in the way by running to the goal line!!!

Your issue, as others have said, may be too much ball watching. Glance between players and ball. When you can see the kick is being taken, glance back to the players. Hear the thumb, glance at the ball. Is it travelling down the line? Then you have a problem - which one do you watch? Maybe keep your head on a swivel. If you know it's staying in, forget the ball, watch the players.

With a NAR I'll position myself somewhere between the penalty arc and the corner of the PA, opposite side to the AR (to maintain the principle of a triangle of you-ball-AR). Move around, but there's no need to be off the goal line here, not unless you think there's a particular reason for you to be that close.

Last edited:
If there are two players exchanging shirts before a corner, hold up the corner, have a swift word, stand as close as you can to them players to see whats going on and tell them not to be shocked if free kicks or penalties happen if they don't behave. If they carry on its their own fault not yours!!!

Will standing on the goal line have a negative impact with assessments? It does not specify in the LOTG (other than as an AR) - have personally found that standing on ball side (as opposed to opposite AR) gives a better angle as the players are facing you and often running towards you.

If they carry on its their own fault not yours!!!

Always liked this approach with anything abuse is aimed at offender and not you!!

Will standing on the goal line have a negative impact with assessments? It does not specify in the LOTG (other than as an AR) - have personally found that standing on ball side (as opposed to opposite AR) gives a better angle as the players are facing you and often running towards you.

Always liked this approach with anything abuse is aimed at offender and not you!!

It shouldn't, but it does. Mix it up a bit then the observer can't complain, also make sure you move as the ball is in the air rather than remaining static.

The correct place to be......is a position in which you can make the required decision

Be that ball out of play, push, foul on gk, ball over or not for goal, no call because there is nothing to give, and a position that leaves you free to anticipate the next phase of play, a ball that ends up back with the kicker in the corner, or a 60 yard punt up the park

Nobody can get them all. But if you get the call right, and your position is sensible, then for me you are in the right place.

It shouldn't, but it does. Mix it up a bit then the observer can't complain, also make sure you move as the ball is in the air rather than remaining static.
Yeah, defenders rate 'changing positions' highly on their 'list of things that people with a clipboard think is important'.
Assessor should give you suggestions on your positioning but not mark you down unless you were in the wrong position and it affected your decision making.

But you're right, both good tips for when you're getting assessed. Though if you're standing off the goal line you can't move as the ball is coming in.

Back