A&H

How's the sin bins going?

Aloha referees. I stumbled across your site and thanks so much. US-based ref, grade 7 here. I have used it 3 times in a variety of age groups. Dissent for a player in a U16 game and it was positive. Second time was if you all can believe this one, was on a U12 girls game and the player in the discussion was my commissioner's granddaughter. She was playing very rough for her size in my mind of her age level and was a very big girl. After three warnings of consistent infringements. I blew my whistle on the fourth one and immediately subbed her out like I was the coach. Now this is, of course quite unorthodox, but I did not explain it to her, I just did it and it gave the young lady a break. Should I have shown this young lady a yellow? At that time and in that game I chose not to. And it worked. The third time was for a player in U18. I showed the yellow card to dissent and he sat out only to come back and earn the red very quickly, Cheers and Mahalo.

The Referee Store
Only one experience of the sin bin this season. I was AR. Player gave dissent to ref and was rightly sent to the sin bin. Player returned 10 mins later. 5 mins after that the player kicked out (petty stuff) at another player after a tackle and was sent off. He didnt calm down or learn his lesson.

Also the league have had to sent out a reminder that dissent is not the same as USB (AA). Refs using this as an eccuse to get out of using it. Even if you dont think its right (like me) it still should be trialled properly!

Was the player given a straight red for the kick out or a caution?

I'm several matches into the new season and I have not shown a card for dissent yet. That is a big difference. I always remind captains about sin bins before the game and nearly always hear them remind their players.

Yesterday a yellow player was about to take a throw that I had given to blue. The moment he opened his mouth to complain his captain shut him up. Brilliant.

Sin bins weren't around in my time but I'm sure I could have filled a few deck chairs on the side with the idiots I used to have to put up with.
Not sure if i'm a fan or not??? Yellow cards were last chance saloon, this seem to prolong the agony I suspect!! Need to see it in action!!

I'm several matches into the new season and I have not shown a card for dissent yet. That is a big difference. I always remind captains about sin bins before the game and nearly always hear them remind their players.

Yesterday a yellow player was about to take a throw that I had given to blue. The moment he opened his mouth to complain his captain shut him up. Brilliant.

That is exactly how it is now here, the sin bin threat is enough. There is no need to remind the captains of it, they all know it WILL be used.

It is very easy to concede one (sometimes two) goal(s) in the ten minutes, so dissent is now (almost) non-existent.

Aloha referees. I stumbled across your site and thanks so much. US-based ref, grade 7 here. I have used it 3 times in a variety of age groups.
Note that you can only use it a) if your FA (in your case USSF) has allowed it for use (the USSF has not yet to this point in time allowed it for use in US-based matches) and b) if the league ALSO allows it for use.

We allowed, starting last fall. The state allows it. The league allows it. Thanks for making sure I checked before I started using it. And please take note that on my tiny rock, which there are only 3 adult certified referees, also take note that I took this admin job after refereeing for years and its one hot mess. Also I really only think a dozen people on the entire island actually know about it because no one reads anything and the senior referees here are retiring.

I sin binned my first player yesterday. The away team have a reputation for dissent (and worse) and are nearly always bottom of the 'sportsmanship' table, but I've personally never really had much trouble from them.

The ball was out of play for a throw and had gone down a big hill so there was a minute's pause while it was collected. I was chatting to a player who had a genuine query about a previous decision, and I was not paying attention when the throw-in happened. Schoolboy error. A big cry of 'foul throw ref' which I waved away. The away team caption simply would not shut up. I nearly always issue warning before I caution a player for dissent but iwth the ball live that wasn't an option and eventually I had to blow the whistle to card him.

The reaction was really interesting: I heard "We could have done without that Rob" and "Jesus Rob, every week" among others. Being chastened by your teammates is WAY more effective than being told off by a ref.

Not so much as a peep out of anyone for the rest of the match.

I sin binned my first player yesterday. The away team have a reputation for dissent (and worse) and are nearly always bottom of the 'sportsmanship' table, but I've personally never really had much trouble from them.

The ball was out of play for a throw and had gone down a big hill so there was a minute's pause while it was collected. I was chatting to a player who had a genuine query about a previous decision, and I was not paying attention when the throw-in happened. Schoolboy error. A big cry of 'foul throw ref' which I waved away. The away team caption simply would not shut up. I nearly always issue warning before I caution a player for dissent but iwth the ball live that wasn't an option and eventually I had to blow the whistle to card him.

The reaction was really interesting: I heard "We could have done without that Rob" and "Jesus Rob, every week" among others. Being chastened by your teammates is WAY more effective than being told off by a ref.

Not so much as a peep out of anyone for the rest of the match.
If you werent looking at the throw in that tells me you werent ready for the restart and could have, probably should have, not allowed play to continue imo.

Back