A&H

I keep forgetting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sunday had a late challenge but played advantage. Probably 5 mins before the ball went out of play. I had completely lost track of who the offender was and it happened behind me with no chance of seeing a shirt number. I turned to the Captain and said your left back is going in the book ( the foul took place on the left side) unless you identify the offender. He mumbled something about I cant do that and I said just watch me. He pointed out the central defender who had committed the foul and I cautioned him.
I didn't feel I was being unfair and I was not prepared to let the matter drop.

The Referee Store
Not so bad at this when it's just one person, but when more players get involved, I completely forget who it is I'm booking.

Also, pretty terrible at remembering the player after playing an advantage. Ball will go out of play and I'm looking around for someone to caution. Probably my proudest moment was cautioning a player after playing advantage and the ball had stayed in play for a good 5 minutes.
wont always work but try blowing your whistle and loudly shouting over here player, you will be amased how often it works lol

As long as you know roughly where they are (ie. in among a group of players) then walking to a neutral area, signalling over towards them to join you with a loud 'yes please' can also be surprisingly effective!

Whenever you whistle a foul, try to catch a glimpse of the player's number and read it aloud in your mind along with why you're whistling "White 5, shirt pulling". This way you're more aware of who commits fouls so that you can identify a problem player or persistent offender. If you're planning on taking disciplinary action, get the number and say it out loud. Then you know who you'll come back to punish, and it's almost impossible to get anything wrong, as you'll have several players and perhaps an assistant who'll be quick to remind you of what number you said out loud. The same goes for mass confrontations where it's incredibly easy to lose track of everything. When you identify an offence that you want to punish, you simply say out loud "White 6, caution, aggressive behaviour", or "red 10, sending off, hands in face". Repeating it once or twice helps too, as the situations often are chaotic and you never know when they end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back