A&H

I messed up with understanding of offside rules so law 11

Kref

Been reffing now for like 1 and half seasons just wanting to check about this.

Situation:
If player A plays a pass in their own half and player B (Both of which same team) receives the pass in the opposition's half in an offside position.

Is that offside or onside?
As I've been thinking since they received from own half they would be onside but I think I may have just misunderstood the ruling for being off and onside.

This is for England

The Referee Store
Yeah misunderstood, deffo off. You may be misunderstanding the part of the law where you can't 'be offside in your own half' (with the caveat that if your offside and come back into your half to receive it you'll still be off). That all make sense?

Yeah misunderstood, deffo off. You may be misunderstanding the part of the law where you can't 'be offside in your own half' (with the caveat that if your offside and come back into your half to receive it you'll still be off). That all make sense?
Yeah I think that is what I was misunderstanding, ironic thing is I had an argument with a club lino today for like 10 minutes during half time about it. Either way its not good as I thought it was like that.

Although I don't necessarily understand about the being offside in your own half thing now?

Been reffing now for like 1 and half seasons just wanting to check about this.

Situation:
If player A plays a pass in their own half and player B (Both of which same team) receives the pass in the opposition's half in an offside position.

Is that offside or onside?
As I've been thinking since they received from own half they would be onside but I think I may have just misunderstood the ruling for being off and onside.

This is for England
I think your issue is in the description of player B as receiving the ball in the opponents half. That's irrelevant.

What matters is the position he's in at the point the ball is played. So if you take a mental snapshot at that moment, that's the point at which their positions matter. If there's a player offside at that point, all you're then waiting for is them to become active, then you blow.

I think your issue is in the description of player B as receiving the ball in the opponents half. That's irrelevant.

What matters is the position he's in at the point the ball is played. So if you take a mental snapshot at that moment, that's the point at which their positions matter. If there's a player offside at that point, all you're then waiting for is them to become active, then you blow.
So in that I mean,

Situation:
Player A is about to pass the ball to Player B, Player B is in an offside position and receives ball in offside position

So if that is offside then how about

Player A is about to play the ball to Player B, Player B is in an onside position but receives the ball in an offside position

(This one I don't really know)

Without sounding like a kn*b, that's football 101. Take a read of the law in depth
I already understood it to that degree but I would say my biggest fault as a referee is offsides and I rather have someone overexplain to me so that I get it then like previously misunderstand something.

I presume you watch football? You must have a base understanding of offside from that and the absolute basic principle is that you're judged on/off at the moment the ball is played by a teammate

I presume you watch football? You must have a base understanding of offside from that and the absolute basic principle is that you're judged on/off at the moment the ball is played by a teammate
I don't really watch football at all, I don't enjoy watching it, I only watch when I do those refereeing video to practice my decision making

Sorry for sounding so blunt, but you'll learn so much by watching the game, be that down a park or the fa cup quarter final

Sorry for sounding so blunt, but you'll learn so much by watching the game, be that down a park or the fa cup quarter final
now back on to the thing you were saying about being off in your own half, is the because you were in an offside position when ball was played and received in onside position

Yeah, so if you're in an offside position when the ball is played, you'll always be offside, no matter where you receive it. If you're not offside what the ball is played, you can never be offside.

Yeah, so if you're in an offside position when the ball is played, you'll always be offside, no matter where you receive it. If you're not offside what the ball is played, you can never be offside.
ah I thinks that what I didn't understand I think I was thinking of it being otherway round

Reactions: es1
There are many nuances to how the law is applied in reality which you'll need to know, but that's the basics

There are many nuances to how the law is applied in reality which you'll need to know, but that's the basics
Yeah I thinks just because of misunderstanding the law for offside on my course which screwed me up so im just gonna review games

Back