A&H

IFAB AGM 133

Good to see WBA Rodriquez get booked for a blatant HB goal, phew. Ironically WBA cheating to gain points, in the same week as Leeds are fined for essentially the same thing!

The Referee Store
Now, the handling offence proposal that I really don't like but that I have a sneaking suspicion they might adopt, is the one on the IFAB's Play Fair! website which says:
a goalkeeper who handles a deliberate pass or throw-in from a team mate should be penalised with a penalty and not an indirect free kick (and the appropriate disciplinary sanction)

I think it is against the whole rationale for having a goalkeeper in the first place to consider potentially awarding a penalty and sending the keeper off for stopping a misplaced but deliberate pass from going into the net but based on something Mr Elleray said in one of his replies to me on a law enquiry I had submitted, he certainly made it sound as if they were leaning this way.

Now, the handling offence proposal that I really don't like but that I have a sneaking suspicion they might adopt, is the one on the IFAB's Play Fair! website which says:

I think it is against the whole rationale for having a goalkeeper in the first place to consider potentially awarding a penalty and sending the keeper off for stopping a misplaced but deliberate pass from going into the net but based on something Mr Elleray said in one of his replies to me on a law enquiry I had submitted, he certainly made it sound as if they were leaning this way.

Interesting idea....I must admit the IDFKs from 5 yards out currently are very messy with 15 players on the line...

I agree, ball kicked to GK is tricky enough to officiate without adding the tariff of a PK. More eveidence that IFAB just want more goals at any cost. I fear games are progressing towards glorified penalty shoot-outs with the effect of VAR to boot

I had seen two different things that might be part of handling. One was the non-deliberate-handling that leads to a goal. The other was completely removing deliberate and only evaluating arm position. I'm guessing that it is the first that we will actually see. But I've seen nothing about specific language--and that is going to matter a lot.

I don't recall seeing anything about DBs. I thought the big restart idea on the table was removing the requirement that GKs/FKs leave the PA to be in play.
a lot of refs seem to have removed deliberate already given some of the riciculous accidental hand ball i have seen recently beibg penlised

Do we know the individuals who sit on the IFAB board? Just curious as to their backgrounds and some explanation as to why their ideas are so frequently ill thought through

IMHO the problems come in a couple of ways. First, drafting by committee is always a potential problem--sometimes the reason for unclear drafting is that the committee wasn't actually agreeing. Some thought the language meant one thing and some something else. So no wonder we can't figure out what it meant. Second, they deal with issues that someone brings. And someone brings it up when they feel aggrieved about something. So many changes are narrowly focused on a bad thing that happened to somebody. The "closest spot on the field" was certainly proposed by someone who felt aggrieved that not enough time was added when an opponent was subbing and slowly leaving the field. And then we get the laws of unintended effects. Third, I think there is inconsistency as to whether they think beyond the professional game when they make some changes. what makes sense in a game in the controlled environment of a stadium with 4 officials, clear technical areas, and very limited substitutions does not always translate to the 90%+ of games in much more more chaotic settings.

In the UK (and equivalently worldwide), the Laws should be appropriately amended for any football played outside the National League System (i.e. below Step 7)

Interesting... I always thought that, potentially/effectively, a free kick should benefit the kicker (in this case attacker) more than the defence....

ABERDEEN, Scotland — Defending against a free kick will become a little less disruptive.

A change that can be approved Saturday by soccer lawmakers attempts to stop attacking teams jostling and jumping in defensive walls.

They would not be allowed in the barrier alongside defenders, with the change forcing them to keep a minimum 1-yard distance.

The tactical advantage for the defending team would be enhanced, and goalkeepers likely would get clearer sight of free kicks being taken.

Referees would be freed from focusing on shoving in the wall, which often forces them to intervene.

While defenders would still have to be 10 yards from the free kick, attackers would remain able to form a wall on their own in front. That, though, would further inhibit the space for the free-kicker to bend the ball into the net.

The law change just needs to be rubber-stamped by The International Football Association Board and would be introduced from June.

FIFA has four delegates and the British nations have the other four, with six votes required for a change to the laws.

“I think it would be a good improvement to the laws of the game,” said CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani, one of FIFA’s representatives in Saturday’s meeting as a vice president of the global governing body.

There was a flashpoint of controversy in the World Cup last year when England was preparing to take a free kick as its round-of-16 game against Colombia became more heated. Colombia midfielder Wilmar Barrio was booked for appearing to headbutt England counterpart Jordan Henderson amid the pushing in a defensive wall.

In the future, if the law change is approved, Henderson would have to be a yard away from Barrio.

Also on the agenda in the main annual IFAB meeting is a change to reduce uncertainty on handballs by specifying when an incident is not deliberate.

Delegates will also look to allow players being substituted to leave the field anywhere rather than at the halfway line.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8734ca9c21f9

Personally, I think this is stopping an obvious goalscoring opportunity myself...
10 seconds in:

For me, though, he had to dive/jump on it to get it before Brentford striker could pounce.
If he'd have ran for it instead could he have then not fouled the striker who was going for it?
He dived on it to stop the ball rolling to the goal and also stop Brentford striker from getting it (John Terry clearly not going for it so only other player getting it was going to be the striker).
This, to me, is a more DOGSO back pass but only an indirect free kick is given and no card.

Back