A&H

IFAB AGM 133

The Referee Store
Some unexpected bits in there. Goal kicks no longer have to leave the area. No more contested drop balls - and it's up to the ref to decide who gets it, not sure I like that bit.

Keeper can handle the ball from a backpass if he fluffs a kick back into play. Can't see that being exploited.

Captains can also now choose to kick off when they win the toss.

Taken literally, and I think I have worked the reasoning, is the fact that goal nets must not be moving when a penalty kick is taken:eek:

Good luck with that in the current weather!:rolleyes:

No time to read the detail yet but the summary of the handball changes look better than I expected......

Captains can also now choose to kick off when they win the toss.

Taken literally, and I think I have worked the reasoning, is the fact that goal nets must not be moving when a penalty kick is taken:eek:

Good luck with that in the current weather!:rolleyes:
Must not be moving due to the GK's intervention. That's all that they care about with that.

No time to read the detail yet but the summary of the handball changes look better than I expected......
I agree. They're exceptionally clear and actually match up well with what has been taught and interpreted around the world* the last few years.

*Except in England of course. ;)

No attackers allowed in defensive wall is interesting.

Re GKs/Defensive fks - now in play when kicked, but as not mentioned, I'm guessing attackers still not allowed in PA, until ball is in play?

Wow, you must have had really bad expectations! When it takes a full page to describe handling and uses "usually an offense if . . ." I just don't see this as likely to drastically clarify anything.

And my head hurts reading the DB stuff.

No attackers allowed in defensive wall is interesting.

Re GKs/Defensive fks - now in play when kicked, but as not mentioned, I'm guessing attackers still not allowed in PA, until ball is in play?

Correct. I think being in the PA when it is taken is now completely analogous to being within 10 yards when a FK is taken.

I thought the handball summary and facing up to the reality of the ā€œnon-deliberateā€ handball was excellent - the exampled were great too.

Our season starts in May and these changes come too late. We wonā€™t have these until 2020...

There are a few biggies in there for the game and for refs: the KO choice, cards for coaches (big like!) the wall (3 players plus+!) dmz, delayed card after a quick FK possibly the biggest of the lot.

The wording of the dub departure part was also very good and clearly gives refs control. We can caution if a subbed player tries to go thr long way. We can also choose the long way on safety grounds. Of course, this does mean that lots of big game (derby) subs are going to have to be managed by the officials in new ways... surely itā€™s going to have to go into the pre-match (ā€œno subbed players leaving in front of the kopā€ etc)...

Good stuff though

The dropped ball part is poor.

The sporting highlight of some games is the act of the uncontested dropped ball. I donā€™t understand the underlying rationale or scenarios there. Creating a problem out of nothing.

... the second line of the dropped ball guide (outside the box only contested by a player of the team that had the last touch) makes it sound like a FK!!! Bizarre.

... the second line of the dropped ball guide (outside the box only contested by a player of the team that had the last touch) makes it sound like a FK!!! Bizarre.

Except hat the opponent only needs to be 4 meters away until the ball touches the ground.

Stopping for injury when the ball is in the attacking third last touched by an attacker just became more perilous for referees. The new guidelines mean that teams aren't going to be thinking about fairplay restarts if they are awarded the DB. So the ref is going to be out of position as the team quickly attacks. I'm not sure the DB changes are going to have a significant impact at top levels where DBs are rare, but in youth games we just got handed a bigger mess--and that's before we start talking about the balls that hit the ref.

"Explanation ā€¢ Attackers standing very close to, or in, the defensive ā€˜wallā€™ at a free kick often cause management problems and waste time. There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ā€˜wallā€™ and their presence is against the ā€˜spirit of the gameā€™ and often damages the image of the game. "

Innovation like Sweden's stamped out, because referees have allowed attackers to push defenders in the wall without punishing it...

Keeper can handle the ball from a backpass if he fluffs a kick back into play. Can't see that being exploited.
That's a strange one for me. Can see it now, keepers deliberately slicing the kick then handling...

Back