A&H

IFAB AGM 133

Before you take issue with what I said, it would be sensible to read it closely. I am certainly not saying we cannot gripe about changes. Gripe away. Some changes are good, some are bad, and analysis and criticism are healthy and useful. All I took issue with is the "why they are messing with the game" type of argument, that assumes making major Law changes is a modern disease.

However "amateurish" the Laws may seem, they have kept the game as the single most popular sport ever invented (by mankind, God invented sex) for a lifetime or two and they have have done it through constant change.
It is interesting that football leads the way in terms of participation and fan-base. The 24 hour news channels would struggle if the Laws were coherent and implemented properly. I've indicated before that the amateurish officiating is part of the draw. In a strange way, the inherent difficulty of implementing the rules (that's what they should be called) is what also ensnares me. They make it damn difficult for us, which is both stupid and great

The Referee Store
For me the handball rule should be either

- All contact with hand or arm should be a foul, regardless of intent, and without trickery from attacker, IE chipping it into someone’s hand

Or

- Leave as it is, Deliberate act or unnatural position = free kick, with the addition of no goals can be scored directly from hand or arm because it feels unjust the majority of the time(see Boly goal)

All these ifs and buts they add in just make everything over complicated, give more room for error and more room for interpretation and debate

Is this going to be a situation where it is safer to just call all instances of handball?

I think the "silhouette" concept is actually intended to reduce handling calls. Elleray explained it in one article as defenders shouldn't have to try to play with their arms behind their backs to avoid getting called for handling. The actual language of these changes and any explanations that go along with them are going to be very important for those of us trying to get it right. (I know I'm going to struggle with how to teach this to newbie refs--"it has to be deliberate, except . . .")

This was posted on Sky Sports as one of five major changes.

2. No rebounds from penalties
One of the changes Gallagher believes will have a big bearing on how we look at football is play stopping for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post.
This means players will no longer line up on the edge of the area or attempt a rebound.
Gallagher said: "We've seen Manchester United's Paul Pogba this year score a penalty from his own rebound and on Saturday the Arsenal penalty was saved and the players chased it down and the ball was still alive.

"Now if it hits the post or the goalkeeper saves and it comes back out to the forward, the game will be stopped, there'll be no second chance."

Actually I think this is a great change if it's true. Just very suspicious that I have seen it reported almost nowhere else.

One of the changes Gallagher believes will have a big bearing on how we look at football is play stopping for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post.
This means players will no longer line up on the edge of the area or attempt a rebound.
Gallagher said: "We've seen Manchester United's Paul Pogba this year score a penalty from his own rebound and on Saturday the Arsenal penalty was saved and the players chased it down and the ball was still alive.

"Now if it hits the post or the goalkeeper saves and it comes back out to the forward, the game will be stopped, there'll be no second chance."

Actually I think this is a great change if it's true. Just very suspicious that I have seen it reported almost nowhere else.
Gallagher was speaking on 5 Live a little earlier. Quote, he said the word 'deliberate' was being taken out of the HB Law

Sky have since updated their website. Disappointed that Gallagher didn't verify the change came from IFAB and was true.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-rules-how-will-new-ifab-laws-affect-the-game

1912 Goalkeepers, who had been allowed to handle the ball anywhere in their own half, confined to penalty area (this will ruin the game).

Well they were right about this one, it did.

Yes, I'm a former goalkeeper.

It's maddening that they have been "dropping hints" about the upcoming law changes since the AGM but refusing to publish details of the proposed changes. If they'd put out the details of what was up for review / approval it would have completely avoided the false reporting of penalty kick changes. The problem is that people can speculate on items and imagine things that aren't there.
Along those lines, I'm wondering exactly what "changes to the dropped ball procedure" means. It's a separate item from the desire to award dropped balls when the ball hits the referee. Am I reading it correctly?

It's maddening that they have been "dropping hints" about the upcoming law changes since the AGM but refusing to publish details of the proposed changes. If they'd put out the details of what was up for review / approval it would have completely avoided the false reporting of penalty kick changes. The problem is that people can speculate on items and imagine things that aren't there.
Along those lines, I'm wondering exactly what "changes to the dropped ball procedure" means. It's a separate item from the desire to award dropped balls when the ball hits the referee. Am I reading it correctly?

It's honestly pissing me off at this point. If the changes have been approved at the AGM, then release the new text of the LOTG. What's the dropped ball change? What is the exact text of the handling law? Why are they keeping this hidden if the decisions have been made?

I have a feeling they may have changed the change process (pun intended). In the past a proposed change had gone to the AGM with the previous wording, the new wording and a reason. Once approved, it was for the exact new wording (sometime subject to a amendment to the new wording that was specified in the minutes).

I think the new process only approves the change to a specific law/clause in principal and the exact new wording is to be decided at a later time (by whom?). So they don't have the new wording of the 19/20 change as yet. This is only speculation. Speculation is the order when the masses are not kept informed.

I had players shout to me today 'but it wasn't his natural silhouette'. WHY they've had these press releases without the actual wording changes is beyond me. Just makes life harder for us

I had players shout to me today 'but it wasn't his natural silhouette'. WHY they've had these press releases without the actual wording changes is beyond me. Just makes life harder for us

I never had that but I did have coach before game asking me about the Man Utd pen.....
Esp in this day in age, with worldwide clips/coverage of things avail in seconds, FIFA/UEFA/Whoever, really must realise the impact of what folk see or hear on tv...
And yes as above, it be nice to least be a step ahead, rather than player telling us the new (percieved) guidelines

Back