A&H

Ifab question in LOTG

Viridis1886

That doesn't matter. It's still a foul!
Level 5 Referee
Screenshot_2024-04-15-22-59-23-070_com.theifab.lawsofthegame-edit.jpg

I can't work out from this if it should be 2 cautions or 1 at the discretion of the referee.

The Referee Store
Actually... I take it back. I get it now. 2 offences, 1 caution. I was missthinking 2 offences as 2 cautions.

"So close together"? It's either simultaneous or not. In this case it isn't. You can play advantage for the first office which means you only punish the handbal. If you punish for USB then there is no handball as the ball is out of play. So caution and IFK.

When is ifab media going to stop making things up 😂

I actually pretty much had this offence last season.

Player standing to shield the ball and went down under absolutely minimal contact. I decided nowhere near enough for a foul as he was clearly looking for it. He assumed he was going to get the free kick so grabbed the ball and was getting ready to place for dfk. I then whistled and gave handball. He wasn't very happy.

View attachment 7257

I can't work out from this if it should be 2 cautions or 1 at the discretion of the referee.
I think it would only get tricky if there is SPA is handball. Deliberate handball is not a caution offence.

Essentially, as one says the better restart is direct so you "play advantage", penalise the handball for the free kick but still caution the simulation as you would "go back" and caution any misconduct post advantage.

It's not easy this refereeing lark is it!

All this mental juggling either in 2 seconds before you blow the whistle or the few seconds after when you need to explain it to the players. I reckon on balance we all do a pretty good job.

I think it would only get tricky if there is SPA is handball. Deliberate handball is not a caution offence.
Ok since you insist I will ask the question then. What if the handball stops a promising attack? Both the technically correct decision and what would you do if it's different please.

Ok since you insist I will ask the question then. What if the handball stops a promising attack? Both the technically correct decision and what would you do if it's different please.
If the Handball stops a promising attack two caution able offences occur sequentially. So it would be 2 yellow cards, 1 for simulation and 1 for stopping a promising attack by handball.

If the Handball stops a promising attack two caution able offences occur sequentially. So it would be 2 yellow cards, 1 for simulation and 1 for stopping a promising attack by handball.
"Cautionable" is one word James. ;)

Also, what's with the new avatar pic? No Sir!! I much prefer you in yellow so change it back please ... :D :p

With that said, while correct in law, this would be a very tough sell. (Unless it's a very clear act of simulation including a short wait to see if the foul is given before then deciding to grab the ball).

In a situation where a player falls on the ball and holds it I think I'd only ever give one caution max...

With that said, while correct in law, this would be a very tough sell. (Unless it's a very clear act of simulation including a short wait to see if the foul is given before then deciding to grab the ball).

In a situation where a player falls on the ball and holds it I think I'd only ever give one caution max...
Agreed. Two cautions would have to be clear simulation with clear SPA. Then I'd say it would be what the games expects and not too hard to sell with good communication and body language.

In most cases the games expects only the one caution.

Back