A&H

Ignored as assistant

No CARs used in sunny Helsinki. You are on your own in the middle and only get AR in 5th div and above.
I had a 35+ game today. Great new big pitch. Low sun. No ARs. Players who have played much higher and get niggly.
We are instructed to keep to the diagonal even though there are no ARs. I work hard to extend the diagonal so I can get closer to high defensive lines and try and do a good job for both teams on the offsides. It is a real challenge. But CARs - especially with the latest offside changes - must be a nightmare!

The Referee Store
Where I used to referee we didn't use CAR's, so I'd often referee by myself - but then again, there were so many referees there that it wasn't too unusual to get a full complement of 3 officials on an U/10 (11-a-side) match!. Where I moved to used CAR's. I'm undecided as to what I prefer. If anything I probably prefer none.

As for being ignored - always ticks me off when I get ignored as a NAR, especially over things that I'm clearly in a better position to see. I just spend the rest of the game telling myself how that proves I'm a much better official than the ref :D

With some of the hills grounds we play on they clearly ran out of string and/or paint, and and at least with CARs there's a bit of a muddy track and someone standing there to mark the edge of the pitch.

In my current role as taxi driver for my daughter out in the middle, I now pass time as a neutral helping out CARs when they want it. Junior referees, daughter included, generally need to do a lot more to acknowledge CAR decisions good or bad. They get plenty of incorrect advice and pointers from the coaches and parents, and are often uncertain whether they've done the right thing or not. But most of them are keen and really appreciate the official word over the rabble behind them.

Back