A&H

Incident in last minute of match

Nottsman

How would you guys deal with this?

Blues vs Reds. Blues are winning 2-1 in the last minute, however down to 10 men (2 x YC).

Reds swing a cross in, which both GK and attacker go for. I'm not in the best position, however it looks like it's come off the keeper last, so I award a corner. The blues defenders are telling me it was clearly off the attackers head. I have Club assistants, however the assistant for the blues is a qualified referee, and I have worked with him previously. He tells me it was 100% the attackers head that headed it out.

Do you stick with your original decision, or listen to the club assistant?

The Referee Store
With club assistants I always tell them at the start, with captains present, that if there's any doubt we go with my call as I'm the only one truly neutral. I'll try and have a word with the CAR if I overrule them and basically say it's not that I don't believe them, but that I have to go with my decision in such cases.

Someone recently told me to go with my (possibly) incorrect decision, then blow for a minor infraction while the ball is in the air giving a fk to the defence.

In that instance, unless you now think you were wrong, stick to your original decision. Players will claim anything so they aren't a good barometer of correct or incorrect decisions. As for the CAR, he is not neutral. :)

You may have done this, but it might be worth thinking about delaying your decision when you have a decision to make but aren't 100% sure what you saw, to see if the players give you a clue as to which way the decision should go. Sometimes their body language will help you out. At the very least you would have seen the CARs flag and could have just gone with him. Going one way and then changing your mind after based on a CAR flag invites problems.

Last edited:
I have Club assistants, however the assistant for the blues is a qualified referee, and I have worked with him previously. He tells me it was 100% the attackers head that headed it out.

When you say you've worked with this guy before - do you mean with him as a properly appointed referee/assistant or just as a CAR?

I'd worked with him as a properly appointed assistant.

That's fair enough. :)
All I'll say then is you should go with your gut and your original decision 99.9% of the time. As for the qualified assistant - like somebody else already said - he's there with his club - so he's not neutral. ;)

All fair comments.

Unfortunately, I went against what most of you are saying and changed the decision. I was in no way 100% of my original decision, and despite him being not neutral, trusted what the assistant had said.

Learning point here is to take my time before making the decision.

Reactions: SM
Someone recently told me to go with my (possibly) incorrect decision, then blow for a minor infraction while the ball is in the air giving a fk to the defence.
This!
Every single person in the ground knows what you're doing...but it's easily sold!

What happens if there isn't a minor infraction available?
Padders, have you EVER had a corner come in where you can't sell any decision for a defensive FK? I honestly don't think I have. So much minor pushing & shoving etc goes on, that you can always sell one

Padders, have you EVER had a corner come in where you can't sell any decision for a defensive FK? I honestly don't think I have. So much minor pushing & shoving etc goes on, that you can always sell one

So why aren't you giving them at every corner then?

Seems a little bit unsporting to me to only give them as infractions to make yourself look better?

So why aren't you giving them at every corner then?

Seems a little bit unsporting to me to only give them as infractions to make yourself look better?

Are the god-forsaken words "club marks" marching with ill-conceived confidence towards this thread? :rolleyes: :D

I agree with Padders for what it's worth. :cool:

Unless of course, anybody wants to suggest that we should also start "selling infractions" that didn't take place whenever we're given cause to ponder the possibility that we might have got that last penalty/card decision wrong...... :rolleyes:

"Come on ref, you owe us at least 3 DFK's and a reckless challenge for that awful penalty decision you gave against us in the first half"...... :hmmm:

Just throwing it out there........ ;) :D

Mod Edit: I'll just merge your posts for you mate, no worries! :D sm

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally in the last minute of a match with the score 2-1 I'm giving a GK if I'm anything less than 90% sure it's a corner

Damned if you do, damned if you don't here. The key issue is the CAR. What the players are saying shouldn't affect your decision, but it's the CAR you'd be worried about - and I think you would need to be pretty sure of your decision to override the CAR. If you weren't sure, consider whether the best decision was really CK or a GK.

Maybe given the conflict came up, it might have been worth while to run over to see how certain he was of the decision. But no matter what happens here, one team will be upset.

I hope you duly ignored that person.

I had a situation where I was unsighted on a goalmouth scramble and the CAR didn't give a signal, so I took my best guess and pointed for a GK. Everyone was furious and the CAR immediately responded by flagging for a corner. When I went over to discuss it, it turned out that from his angle, it was so obviously a corner that he didn't think he needed to tell me. With all of this evidence, and the fact I knew my original awarding of a GK was not much better than a guess, I changed my decision.

Of course, the attacking team went on to score from that corner and the defence kicked off.

Back