A&H

Incident today

The Referee Store
"takes action against team officials who fail to act in a responsible manner
and may expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds;
a medical team official who commits a dismissible offence may remain if the
team has no other medical person available, and act if a player needs medical
attention."

If a team, especially of children, has one coach - does that person fall in the 'medical' category above?

"takes action against team officials who fail to act in a responsible manner
and may expel them from the field of play and its immediate surrounds;
a medical team official who commits a dismissible offence may remain if the
team has no other medical person available, and act if a player needs medical
attention."

If a team, especially of children, has one coach - does that person fall in the 'medical' category above?
My understanding of the laws says Yes :)

In my experience local and competition ROC have usually stated that if no other coach/administrator from the same club with valid and acceptable coaching credentials can take over than the match must be abandoned or forfeited. Some random U13 coach should most certainly not be assumed to be a medical professional, and while your quote doesn't explicitly state that the person must be a 'professional,' I believe it to be implicit. Of course, if the coach actually is a medical professional, good luck with dealing with that headache :rolleyes:

Game Under 13s not too many decisions in the game certainly no big ones.

Ten minutes to go game is 1-1 free kick given for defensive team for a push 25/30 yards from own goal towards the touchline.

Opposition manager says "Ref you are a f****g joke"

I walked off the side of the pitch away from rest of parents and said manager a word please, he replied NO, i asked him a further three times manager come here please, NO

What should my decision have been ?
The procedure for dealing with misbehaving managers (or any team official) is pretty standard.

1. Ask (them to behave nicely)
2. Tell (them firmly to behave or else)
3. Remove (them from tech area and vicinity)

It has to be in that order on the sequence of sequence of incidents to deal with but you can skip any step(s) depending on severity. Don't ignore misbehaviour as it only leads to worse behaviour and escalation.

From your description I'd skip 1 and 2 and remove him straight away. If he refuses tell him you will abandon. If he doesn't leaves, give him a minute or two and if still there abandon the game.

Depending on context you may also go to step 2 first up. While telling him to behave if he is refusing to listen or aggressively responding, go to step 3 on the spot.

The approach for every step is similar. Stay calm. Don't make it a conversation. Let him stay in the TA. Get close to the TA but stay in the field about a yard away from touchline. Say what you have to say and walk off. You are not there to hear from him and you certainly don't need his permission to talk to him.

The only exception is for a junior team with an only adult carer, the protocol may differ from area to area. In the remove step you ask him to step behind the tech area from where he can oversee his players. You also let him know any further misconduct will result in abandonment. If you hear any protest from him after than you abandon the game immidiately.

Last edited:
And if he refuses to even speak to me...................
As I said, you are not there for him to speak to you, you are there for you to "ask him to mind his behaviour", "tell him to behave or you will have no option but to remove him", and "tell him to remove himself from the tech area and vicinity". Make yourself heard and walk off. There is no need for him to speak to you and in fact its a good thing if he doesn't speak to you. Don't engage in a conversation.

If he refuses to listen what you have to say, go to remove, and abandon if you have to as above.

The only exception is for a junior team with an only adult carer, the protocol may differ from area to area. In the remove step you ask him to step behind the tech area from where he can oversee his players. You also let him know any further misconduct will result in abandonment. If you hear any protest from him after than you abandon the game immediately.

This is the correct course - remove him from the immediate touchline but not the vicinity of the pitch. Warn him, any other comment or action will result in a misconduct charge as well as the existing dismissal. Remind him that he is only staying to be the medical carer and without him being there, you would have to abandon immediately.

The biggest concern is why a minor football team only has one coach/first aider with them......

team only has one coach/first aider with them......
I'm in the US so there are a good number of differences, but having only one coach on the sideline is not out of the ordinary, although it becomes less and less common as you increase the level of play. Again, here in the US local ROC generally spell out what to do (here's an example from a league I commonly work for): "If at any time during the game the team does not have a person with a valid coach’s passcard able to be responsible for the team, the game shall be abandoned and the team shall forfeit the game." While that example is moot when talking about any other league, it's always best to check the local/competition ROC and make sure it matches the advice you've been given.

The procedure for dealing with misbehaving managers (or any team official) is pretty standard.
1. Ask (them to behave nicely)
2. Tell (them firmly to behave or else)
3. Remove (them from tech area and vicinity)

This.

And remember, if they refuse to go when instructed to, calmly and politely inform them that if they don't leave within 30 seconds you will abandon. Bring your watch wrist up so that it is clear you are monitoring the time. At the 30 second mark, bring your whistle to your lips, and slightly pause (because the action of bringing the whistle to your lips may trigger them in to action and moving away) . If they still aren't leaving, then blow for the abandonment. Remember - YOU are not ruining the game of football, the coach is.

@spuddy1878 - as an aside, as this was an U13 match - are you yourself 18 or over? If not, I would be concerned about the additional child protection issues this raises, and as a minimum - even if you didn't dismiss the coach - I would report it to your refsec who may choose to either monitor or speak with the club's welfare officer.

As I said, you are not there for him to speak to you, you are there for you to "ask him to mind his behaviour", "tell him to behave or you will have no option but to remove him", and "tell him to remove himself from the tech area and vicinity". Make yourself heard and walk off. There is no need for him to speak to you and in fact its a good thing if he doesn't speak to you. Don't engage in a conversation.

If he refuses to listen what you have to say, go to remove, and abandon if you have to as above.

a colleague of mine was known for saying "this is a one way conversation, and am doing the talking" I think it sums up the above nicely.

Only ever removed 2, a grandad at a kids game and a &*ob manager who changed his coat to a parker coat and the cheeky bugger returned.... Till I re-spotted him and sent him away again!

I think binning a manager is the last thing left on my major firsts. ie red card abandonment etc

Back