A&H

Open Age Incident

Grassrootsref

Hi

I had an incident the other day at a game. where a spectator was shouting and swearing at me I gave said spectator a yellow card where they continued shouting and swearing and refused to give me their name and instead gave a false name from a cartoon series, so I showed them the red card and ordered them to leave the playing field the game was being played on.
The spectator was stood with one of the teams bench but a lot of spectators stand along the side with the benches so I don't know if the were with them or not.
My question is what will the county FA do in this case as in how would they investigate a spectator and how would you deal with the situation.
I am still very new to reffing so trying to learn still

The Referee Store
1: You’re correct to deal with this as an unacceptable situation. However,

2: You cannot show card to spectators. Only players including subs, and team management can be shown cards.

3. You have 2 options here. Either request that the team they’re supporting as a grassroots game, or the home side if it’s in a private ground remove them.

4. Report to the FA as an Extraordinary Incident, using the Misconduct report function. This will apply irrespective of whether the spectator was removed, or refused to leave.

I expect the county discipline admin staff will likely switch the report to a Misconduct charge anyway and should be I touch with you explaining my point 2, but this is intended to help you avoid issues in the future as you’ll come up against some smart a—- who knows the regulations and will use that knowledge to make your life even more difficult.

Hope this is helpful 🙂

Hi

I had an incident the other day at a game. where a spectator was shouting and swearing at me I gave said spectator a yellow card where they continued shouting and swearing and refused to give me their name and instead gave a false name from a cartoon series, so I showed them the red card and ordered them to leave the playing field the game was being played on.
The spectator was stood with one of the teams bench but a lot of spectators stand along the side with the benches so I don't know if the were with them or not.
My question is what will the county FA do in this case as in how would they investigate a spectator and how would you deal with the situation.
I am still very new to reffing so trying to learn still
To add to the very comprehensive reply from @Tealeaf if the home team / spectators team don't deal with it and you are uncomfortable continuing then you also have the option of abandonment.
I would use this as part of a stepped approach, ask them to deal, tell them to deal, warn the consequences of not dealing and then follow through with the abandonment.
Normally the threat of abandonment will trigger some action, even the most idiotic of teams know the FA and the league's will come down heavy on them or their action, or inaction is found to be the cause of a game being abandoned.

I agree with above and I posted a similar thread back at the start of this season because I also engaged with spectators stood around the manager. I believe channels like IST and US Based content has caused this habit, because US grassroots seem happy to engage with supporters causing grief.

That's the good thing about this forum! Because lord knows until I go for promotion there's not much other place to get this kind of advice or feedback

Sorry that you had a horrid situation.

As mentioned, you can't show cards to spectators - however as @JamesL correctly says, if you are being abused, you have every right to make it clear to the team that is linked/related to the spectator that you are not ok with this.

As soon as players get a sniff of an abandonment, I recon they will recipricate their discontent towards them.

As @Tealeaf said though - well done for not accepting that behaviour. It is the absolute cancer of the game.

If the league have Respect stewards in place, which most well-run leagues do, the referee should ask the home club manager to speak with a steward to get it sorted. Delay the restart until they carry out your instructions as that way the players will tell the offender to "go away" if they won't comply with the steward's request.

Back