A&H

Ipswich v Northampton

The Referee Store
I think that the ref didn’t cover himself in glory here.

However, what infuriates me is that players STILL surround referees and intimidate them in the professional game.

Football needs to play nicely with Rugby and share some of their practices.

I have seen referees seperating players from each other but not players doing that to referees. Not a good look at all. Obviously he lost it. Very aggressive. This type of thing is usually one's personality and if so my thoughts are how did he get where he is with that type of personality. Personality is an attribute all referees are assessed on.

Was quite surprised when I first seen it, I don't think that's an acceptable way to react as a match official. If the player (Judge) did abuse them then surely you send him off for foul and abusive language, or book for dissent and send him off for 2 yellows (one for the initial act of simulation). I don't think squaring up to him is the best way to go about it, Refs are surely supposed to stay above all that sort of behaviour on the pitch and keep their cool, however hard it may be!

That is appalling by the ref. Maybe Judge said something but that's not the way to react. And I'd have given a pen.

I think the ref is in big trouble cos I fancy he'll be docked marks for not awarding the PK

Can't believe how many people are getting out of their pram on social media about him being charged. You can't react like that and not expect something to happen to you.

Given Drysdale has acknowledged his error, I would say the FA provides the same punishment that they gave Sergio Aguero for his conduct toward Sian Massey-Ellis in October - in other words, no formal punishment. The FA can basically say, "Yes, he was wrong, and he admitted it. Let's move on."

I wonder what the player said to illicit that sort of response. There are lots of reasons why the referee might have done what he did, but I’m not condoning it.

He should face a tougher sanction than a player would get in a similar situation.

Given Drysdale has acknowledged his error, I would say the FA provides the same punishment that they gave Sergio Aguero for his conduct toward Sian Massey-Ellis in October - in other words, no formal punishment. The FA can basically say, "Yes, he was wrong, and he admitted it. Let's move on."
Agreed. He knows himself he was wrong and will probably have a few sleepless nights as a result but it shouldn’t be a career ender for him. We all make mistakes and if it’s a one off I.e not a trait of his then it should be accepted as just that. Pardew and Pearson have done similar things to players in the past as managers, got a temporary ban and a financial penalty, I feel this should be the same.

Mr Drysdale is also an RAF regiment SGT so he could certainly hold his own
Then I imagine he will also face administrative action from the RAF. There army have a nice catch all of “bringing the service into disrepute” and I imagine the RAF will have something similar.

As for holding his own, RAF Regt aren’t anything special.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that none of us know what's happening in Drysdale's personal life or if something distressing happened in the lead-up to the game. We also don't know exactly what was said on the FOP. Assuming such extenuating circumstances, I'd like to think he'll be given the opportunity to further develop as a Referee and bank this incident as an 'experience definitely not to repeat'

Back