A&H

Ipswich v Northampton

Judge(alledgely) made the abusive comments but don't get banned, ref gives some back and heads slightly touch and he has been banned from his job for 4 games or so. Does not seem right too me.
Just to be accurate, both parties involved and the findings of the FA disciplinary panel say that, "at no time was there any physical contact" between the two.

The Referee Store
What we've all known finally confirmed: If you sanction OFFINABUS, you will not progress in refereeing.

Not that I'm good enough anyway, but I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I let some little twerp speak to me like that every match for the tiny chance to make it to being an EPL ref (and then getting mocked in papers/on TV).

Not sanctioning OFFINABUS makes us weak. It normalises this behaviour from players, managers and fans. We accept it and therefore we tolerate it. We all know why it happens, but how weak we are as a collective for allowing it. From PGMOL all the way down.

Anyway, it will reduce at the higher levels soon because tv will demand that refs are mic'd up for VAR etc. It will happen despite clubs protests, what tv wants tv will get as the main pay masters.

We just have to hope there is a drip down of behavioural change. Probably take a generation.

We are weak and I hate it.

I'm pretty sure that clubs still mark referees even at FL level. There are hardly any red cards for OFFINABUS at that level, but we've all heard players screaming abuse at referees. I wouldn't go as far as saying there is a directive not to send off, rather referees are effectively conditioned as they move through the levels that upsetting clubs will stop them progressing. It would need FL, SG1 and SG2 referees to act together to fix this, as one or two referees acting on their own are just going to affect their progression and quite possible find themselves demoted.
They do Rusty. One one of the RA Zoom meetings an EFL referee shared a screenshot of marking sheet and club marks definitely on there, without looking it up, can't remember the exact proportion, but the club marks definitely made up a smaller proportion of the overall mark than the observer's.

If Judge was so adamant about wanting to clear his name, he would have appeared or provided a statement to the FA.

Generally when people “take the Fifth” as we say in the US, it’s because they would be implicating themselves for future punishment.
However as the referee didn't send him off and the FA didn't take any separate action he had no need to 'clear his name'

I remember going to a event a few years back where a PL referee was giving a talk.

He was asked why they don’t deal with offinabus, he said because clubs and spectators don’t want to see their star players get sent off because the referee doesn’t like being sworn at.

I don’t know whether this is/was official guidance but considering the PL is the majority shareholder in PGMOL it’s not unreasonable to assume that referees might find it harder to progress if they upset clubs by sending players off for offinabus.

He was asked why they don’t deal with offinabus, he said because clubs and spectators don’t want to see their star players get sent off because the referee doesn’t like being sworn at.
Did anyone point out to him why they should send off for offinabus at referees? Because if they don't players, kids and adult, do what they see on TV and abuse the referee, including minors. Respect camping and 'educating' campaigns have been tried and don't work.

I would love to hear a response to that.

I remember going to a event a few years back where a PL referee was giving a talk.

I don’t know whether this is/was official guidance but considering the PL is the majority shareholder in PGMOL it’s not unreasonable to assume that referees might find it harder to progress if they upset clubs by sending players off for offinabus.
100% agree that they've collectively agreed to tolerate any language whatsoever. So guess what 'they' get and guess what get's copied. Football does not understand it's social responsibility to set any sort of example to the Global audience
Behaviour in society (in many many settings) mirrors that on the FOP. I'd even say it's incumbent upon the Govt. to step in and tell the EPL to sort its act out, because they won't do it off their own back unless there's a commercial motivation

It's not just PL. In the last WC there were at least two occasions in which it was clear from video that a player was screaming F you in the referee's face. (IIRC, one was Rolando.) Neither was sent off--I don't even think they were cautioned. As I've said before, this has created an expectation. The only way to change the behavior is to change the expectation. The only way to change the expectation is to send folks off until they understand the expectation has changed. But no one at the highest levels has the stomach to accept the pain that will take place in the transition, so nothing changes. We get lip service, but without the actual belief in the players that there would be consequences, nothing will change.

It's not just PL. In the last WC there were at least two occasions in which it was clear from video that a player was screaming F you in the referee's face. (IIRC, one was Rolando.) Neither was sent off--I don't even think they were cautioned. As I've said before, this has created an expectation. The only way to change the behavior is to change the expectation. The only way to change the expectation is to send folks off until they understand the expectation has changed. But no one at the highest levels has the stomach to accept the pain that will take place in the transition, so nothing changes. We get lip service, but without the actual belief in the players that there would be consequences, nothing will change.
Whole heartedly agree. The FA have their RESPECT campaign but it's not worth the paper to make the posters when we constantly watch abuse on TV

I remember going to a event a few years back where a PL referee was giving a talk. He was asked why they don’t deal with offinabus, he said because clubs and spectators don’t want to see their star players get sent off because the referee doesn’t like being sworn at.
I wonder if the powers that be actually ever ask spectators what they want rather than just assuming?

Removing my ref hat and speaking as a life long footy fan, nothing annoys me more than things like unpunished timewasting (especially the likes of Pickford holding the ball for 18 seconds) and players aggressively confronting and mouthing off at the ref/ARs. Lost count of how many times I have found myself screaming at the tv saying something like come on ref, deal with it or how much longer are you going to let him get away with it? :mad: This usually gets greeted with "They can't hear you" from my long suffering better half! :)

I wonder if the powers that be actually ever ask spectators what they want rather than just assuming?

Removing my ref hat and speaking as a life long footy fan, nothing annoys me more than things like unpunished timewasting (especially the likes of Pickford holding the ball for 18 seconds) and players aggressively confronting and mouthing off at the ref/ARs. Lost count of how many times I have found myself screaming at the tv saying something like come on ref, deal with it or how much longer are you going to let him get away with it? :mad: This usually gets greeted with "They can't hear you" from my long suffering better half! :)
:) My better half enjoys me shouting at the TV as well!!!!!!

Back