A&H

Is this pedantic?

Assessment at Level 4. Lots of snow on the pitch but playable. Away team 3-0 down and about to kick off after conceding the third goal. The assessor advised afterwards the player kicking off was slightly in the opposition half when he took the kick off. How he saw in the snow, I'm not sure. Now I have seen this before, but very rarely call it. Yes according to LOTG he is correct, but is it pedantic?

Thoughts!!!!!!!!

The Referee Store
Assessment at Level 4. Lots of snow on the pitch but playable. Away team 3-0 down and about to kick off after conceding the third goal. The assessor advised afterwards the player kicking off was slightly in the opposition half when he took the kick off. How he saw in the snow, I'm not sure. Now I have seen this before, but very rarely call it. Yes according to LOTG he is correct, but is it pedantic?

Thoughts!!!!!!!!

You already know the answer: It's both correct in Law and pedantic ;-)

However, this is one of those simple ones you can take control of. Always check. Especially since players will always try it on (typically the winger behind you when you are in your kick-off position).

Thoughts!!!!!!!!

Being pedantic is (to my mind) part and parcel of being a referee. :)

Sounds like he was struggling to come up with anything to mark you down with mate...... ;)

Thoughts!!!!!!!!
Great Assessing, these are the things we need to watch out for. This, undershorts, etc really make a difference to your performance ;)

On the sensible note, these things should be second nature to a L4 and you should always be aware of this. Not spotting this, what else technical haven't you seen.

Last edited:
Oh I prevented two yellows, defused an incident before it kicked off and prevented a second yellow. However these were not picked up. Nothing else technical though. however most assessments are fairly ok. I just thought in the context it may have been pedantic.

Ooohh lincs. Not a chocolate fan but my missus would love some thanks. ;)

No problem doing what I normally do but if an assessor is going to be that pedantic, then everything should be done as per LOTG. All trips, pulls, pushes etc cautioned irrespective of degree of consequence. I just think in the context of the game it was pedantic. As said earlier maybe nothing else to pick up. I'm happy with 99% of what was said afterwards.

@Denis McCarthy - I do agree that is sounds (and is) very pedantic. Earlier replies sent from the phone, it does not allow icons... so how gone back and edited the earlier posts.

Oh I prevented two yellows, defused an incident before it kicked off and prevented a second yellow. However these were not picked up. Nothing else technical though. however most assessments are fairly ok. I just thought in the context it may have been pedantic.

How do you "prevent" a yellow? Is that really a euphemism for "I didn't issue a caution when I should have but had a good enough excuse to justify not applying the LOTG"?

If the offence has been committed its either a caution...or it isn't? The only way of preventing it is for the player not to commit the offence in the first place.

No Padfoot the offence was not committed. Preventing a reaction from players to offences enabled me not to issue a caution. It's how I manage the game. Should they not take notice then that's a different story.

Thoughts!!!!!!!!
Must have been a dull game with little in the way of incident. But then again, it's a little like the direction of a throw-in. If you can't get that right, why should the players trust you with anything else. Being in your own half and the ball going forward at kick off are the very basics taught to all players. if you can't be bothered enforcing the law around that situation correctly, what else will you let go?

This is the point your assessor was trying to make.

I see your point Padfoot. However getting key match incidents correct is far more important than a player being half a yard inside the opponents half. I understand your point about basics but to me, it's slightly pedantic given other KMI's in the game. Otherwise let's have every throw in from the exact point etc. It just came across that way. I'm happy that was all that could be found and a decent mark. Maybe I wanted a bit more development.

Poont taken though.

Assessors will always pick up on this. It's a very basic aspect of the law that takes no effort to get right. A smile and a 'just step back into your own half, thanks' manages it. IMO as long as a player has a foot in his own half it should be ok though.
Assessors should be picking this up as well as the other major incidents. Some assessors think that an assessment is more about passing a test rather than coaching and don't like to mention things well done.

The player taking a kick off with one or two feet in the wrong half can be seen on TV screens from the big leagues every weekend.
As can abusive language towards officials.
As can throws with one foot in the air
As can blatant simulation (thwow him to the grwound centuwion!)

The new rule change that means players can kick the ball backwards at kick off is going to make this interesting. When a player takes a kick off and tries to hoof to the fullback or goalkeeper (which is going to happen, a lot), the player kicking off is going to have at least their standing foot in the wrong half.. will it still be so pedantic to blow then?

Back