A&H

Junior/Youth It's a friendly ref!

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
i did a game yesterday and there's 10 minutes to go. White team are winning 4-0.

Suddenly green player kicks white defender 3 times in a few seconds (lashing out i guess).

I whistle, get green player's name and show the red card for VC.

Green manager shouts "it's a friendly re!".

I then reply "that wasn't very friendly so it's a red card and i will be putting that through to the conunty".

Bizarrely, when i go on WGS the player is not featured on the drop down menu so i added the name.

When i googled the player's name, he plays for a diferent team in the same division!

I'm sure the county will deal with it.

A&H International
I then reply "that wasn't very friendly so it's a red card and i will be putting that through to the conunty".
The very line I used when in a pre season friendly a player turned and said “**** off you c*nt, I’ll f*cking have you. f*cking tw*t”. How friendly.

The season is pretty much over, and players often change clubs at the end of the season. "Friendly" games are a minefield, player registration is governed by leagues and is nothing to do with CFAs, as a result there is nothing to stop an unregistered player from playing for a team in a friendly.

The season is pretty much over, and players often change clubs at the end of the season. "Friendly" games are a minefield, player registration is governed by leagues and is nothing to do with CFAs, as a result there is nothing to stop an unregistered player from playing for a team in a friendly.
can anyone,the right age for that game, play?

Probably one of the most infruriating lines heard across the amateur game. I think the best advice I have read on here has always been; they have asked for a proper referee, don't be angry when the game is refereed properly.

Despite the opinion of many clubs, a friendly does not give carte blanche for players to release all the frustration they have built up that week and effectively assault an opponent without repercussion.

Surprised you didn't get the line of "can't we just sub him off", something i'd completely disagree with. I was actually watching the 'Ref's World' YouTube account the other day*, and a club had the audacity to ask to sub off a sent off playing during a league match 🤯

*Not sure if anyone has watched his YouTube videos, a really good insight into refereeing at amateur level, he also analyses and explains his decisions post game. I don't necessarily agree with the way he referees some situations, seems to have a bit of an arrogant 'pay attention to me' personality and is a bit of a flasher, but he did win referee of the year for his county, so what do I know?

Ref's World

The line I’ve seen many resort to in friendlies, and the one I’d be tempted to use in pre match, is “play it like a friendly and I’ll ref it like a friendly”
That's my go to.

Edit - to add, I say this to the captains at the coin toss, and I also say that if your players start acting silly buggers and putting naughty tackles in then the cards will come out. Forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited:
can anyone,the right age for that game, play?
Of course they can, subject to them not being under contract to another team which obviously won't be the case outside of the NLS. Non-competition games are, by their very definition, not under the control of a competition. Therefore anyone can play in them. Even age doesn't really come into it as it is competition rules that define age limits for games.

Of course they can, subject to them not being under contract to another team which obviously won't be the case outside of the NLS. Non-competition games are, by their very definition, not under the control of a competition. Therefore anyone can play in them. Even age doesn't really come into it as it is competition rules that define age limits for games.
when does a youth player's registration with a club or team run out then?

our youth league finished sunday (26th may)

i can see why and how july friendlies can be a free for all but not may friendlies.

when does a youth player's registration with a club or team run out then?

our youth league finished sunday (26th may)

i can see why and how july friendlies can be a free for all but not may friendlies.
It doesn't matter when their registration runs out. They are known as friendlies, but the actual name is "non-competition fixtures" and the fact they are non-competition fixtures means player registrations are totally irrelevant. The rules of any competition, which include player eligibility, don't apply.

As long as a player isn't suspended, and isn't under contract to a club (which isn't allowed at grass roots) they can play in any friendly.

It doesn't matter when their registration runs out. They are known as friendlies, but the actual name is "non-competition fixtures" and the fact they are non-competition fixtures means player registrations are totally irrelevant. The rules of any competition, which include player eligibility, don't apply.

As long as a player isn't suspended, and isn't under contract to a club (which isn't allowed at grass roots) they can play in any friendly.
I assume suspension depends on the type of suspension? If a player was suspended for 3 match standard ban on last game, non-comp games wouldn't count and they would be allowed to participate in preseason non comp games with suspension being served at the start of the following season competition, for whichever club they were signed on too. Added complexities with level suspension is at too. Players at step 4 and above can play at step 5 and below when suspended and vice versa.

I assume suspension depends on the type of suspension? If a player was suspended for 3 match standard ban on last game, non-comp games wouldn't count and they would be allowed to participate in preseason non comp games with suspension being served at the start of the following season competition, for whichever club they were signed on too. Added complexities with level suspension is at too. Players at step 4 and above can play at step 5 and below when suspended and vice versa.
Yeah, suspensions would only apply to friendlies if they were days rather than games, i.e. if they were suspended from all football for x number of days. If suspended for x number of games the friendlies wouldn't apply as they aren't competition games.

Apparently suspension for a red card in a friendly is a 1 match friendly suspension.

But the CFA don't have any details on who is playing who in friendlies so it's "done on trust".

Apparently suspension for a red card in a friendly is a 1 match friendly suspension.

But the CFA don't have any details on who is playing who in friendlies so it's "done on trust".
I’d imagine this can depend on who is involved as well. I remember a couple of seasons ago Wolves played a friendly in Spain (possibly Portugal, one of them) which finished 9v9 due to red cards. Neither of our players got official bans I don’t think due to it not being organised by the fa but they didn’t feature in the next friendly.

Back