A&H

Its good you can have a laugh

your game lasts the amount of time its meant to last?
Chalking off valid goals is not funny? You are there as referee to enforce the lotg, not audition to be Kevin Bridges stunt double

The Referee Store
I disagree with some posts here. I would have done the same and have done the same and have received respect for the decision as well. Well done.

This is a refereeing forum and people are agreeing that stopping the game early to prevent a player getting their hat trick because it's funny is acceptable. I'm getting confused as to what LOTG people are working towards with some threads on here these days

This is a refereeing forum and people are agreeing that stopping the game early to prevent a player getting their hat trick because it's funny is acceptable. I'm getting confused as to what LOTG people are working towards with some threads on here these days

I feel bad even replying to the thread tbh, we have all stopped xx mins early when its 9-0 and all players want to go home and as much as its not right, its understandable
But to do it on purpose as a laugh?
And next week, might as well put on the clown outfit instead of the ref one and use a squirty flower in place of a whistle

I feel bad even replying to the thread tbh, we have all stopped xx mins early when its 9-0 and all players want to go home and as much as its not right, its understandable
But to do it on purpose as a laugh?
And next week, might as well put on the clown outfit instead of the ref one and use a squirty flower in place of a whistle
Even then its debatable. As I've put above, goal difference plays a part in most leagues and I've won a division title as a player through GD alone so for me, 90 minutes is 90 minutes.

Even then its debatable. As I've put above, goal difference plays a part in most leagues and I've won a division title as a player through GD alone so for me, 90 minutes is 90 minutes.

Totally agree, am talking those once a season games where team only has 11 players, they lose one injured, its 9-0 and freezing and nobody from either side is interested for the last 20 mins and all players and coaches are begging for the whistle,
Or indeed the same senario in a cup tie
Or a school game

Its not perfection i agree but the over riding point being no way can it be regarded amusing for an official to stop "just cos" it seemed like it would be funny

Back to the OP
1) i'm not in it for the money, so would have no interest in taking to the middle for the friendliest of friendlies
2) Whilst having a laugh worked out ok this time; word of caution that these things can easily turn sour as footballers and coaches have a tendency to stab you in the back at a moments notice
I'd be downcast to end up on such a game

I think some people really need to lighten up (probably the same people who thought it was ok when the referee booked Gazza after Gazza shown him the yellow card)

At the risk of being a kill-joy, is it permissible in organised football (even youth level) for teams to swap players in such a scenario? My local leagues would not sanction this.

I think some people really need to lighten up (probably the same people who thought it was ok when the referee booked Gazza after Gazza shown him the yellow card)

There is one of two ways of looking at that. Its either taken in good spirits or its taken as undermining the referee. I fail to see how anyone can be critical of either

Extreme but I know I did a top v bottom few year back on a day the other teams fixtures had come to an end. I had players and officials from the other teams as very interested spectators. Tbh I have no concern pre match for who needs how many goals for what
But I do have concern to play the required time
As and if you progress you also have betting markets who really wont take kindly to referees picking and choosing the time
There are enough variables in the game we can be flexible with
Why trifle with a factual matter

Maybe it was you had to be there.

Just to reiterate, one team had their regular GK playing up front trying over head kicks from every cross, the then regular keeper was trying nut megs in his own box, the lad who scored the goal playing for opposite team grabbed the ball out the goal and shouted come onnnnnn we can win this (it was about 15-2 at the time)

Final one this from me, when walking away from the pitch both lines were laughing and joking about what had happened.

Maybe it was you had to be there.

Just to reiterate, one team had their regular GK playing up front trying over head kicks from every cross, the then regular keeper was trying nut megs in his own box, the lad who scored the goal playing for opposite team grabbed the ball out the goal and shouted come onnnnnn we can win this (it was about 15-2 at the time)

Final one this from me, when walking away from the pitch both lines were laughing and joking about what had happened.

Fine for a charity match or closed door, imo not fine for a real fixture. As ever, each to own.

This had me laughing; they must have been a good set of lads given the recklessness to which some teams will descend when losing that heavily. One point: now I understand, but when you said 'slid through', I initially thought you were saying that the goalkeeper had taken the striker out and you were blowing for full time to avoid DOGSO!

Just to add Goal Difference has no impact on the final standings in kids football (not in these leagues anyway)

This had me laughing; they must have been a good set of lads given the recklessness to which some teams will descend when losing that heavily. One point: now I understand, but when you said 'slid through', I initially thought you were saying that the goalkeeper had taken the striker out and you were blowing for full time to avoid DOGSO!

No no, slid as in passed through.

The game would have finished probably 15/16-0 if it was both sides best elevens as it was tp v bottom.

It sounds to me like this game was played like an exhibition game and the referee knew that he could get away with what he did. He did what he did to raise a smile from both teams and show a human side to a referee whilst knowing full well his actions would not effect anything by way of result, goal difference or anything else for that matter. Also nobody but him would of been aware that he blew up 45 seconds early, so as far as anyone else was concerned 90 minutes was up.

So why doesn't everyone just get down off their high horses and give the lad a break.

Back