A&H

Its good you can have a laugh

No no, slid as in passed through.

The game would have finished probably 15/16-0 if it was both sides best elevens as it was tp v bottom.
I understand what's gone on this game. No digs from me as such. I'm just saying, repeat with caution as you can get too friendly with 'teams'. I know this from my relatively limited experience

The Referee Store
In my long experience, don’t drop your guard and do something you wouldn’t do in a normal game!

Moving the goal posts slightly ( i didnt do that)

One team had eight one had twelve, are you saying in kids football U15s you wouldn't have allowed the game to go ahead because two players played for the other team who were a) clearly not registered b) had incorrect kit on ?

One team had eight one had twelve, are you saying in kids football U15s you wouldn't have allowed the game to go ahead because two players played for the other team who were a) clearly not registered b) had incorrect kit on ?
Surely, the result was not official. It was played as a friendly, right?

Trying to avoid... but no...

Fair enough to the OP, you had to be there, sounds like you got a smile. So, yes, well done, friendly, good.

On the serious side, in any game, stopping early is a risky move as there might be someone who will use it against you.

In any league game, stopping before full time is a no-no because you might get in trouble with the league. Stopping early because a player/coach asked is a nightmare waiting to happen.

In more serious leagues I have been asked to not play added time by a losing team, or both teams. Even if you know the league and don’t think GDiff is important IMHO don’t do it. It will get used against you. My response on several occasions: smile, say it’s the same for everyone, make light of it, play a respectful amount of added time.

In 'casual' football no problem but in a properly affiliated and organised league I would not have gone ahead on this basis, even at U15s.

At the risk of being a kill-joy, is it permissible in organised football (even youth level) for teams to swap players in such a scenario? My local leagues would not sanction this.

I run a Veterans team ( the polar opposite of youth!) and we have the provision for this in our league, we even have “player loan forms” that we can fill in on the day to borrow a player from the other side. It is an official, county FA run & affiliated league that recognises the problem of getting a team of eleven together and so tries to be pro-active to overcome the problem.

The team with eight accepted 5-0 defeat before play, the league only counts 5-0 as maximum score even if its 6.8,12 or 20.
Although I understand that goal difference should not be published or used to determine league standings in youth footy. Sure i've read that on the FA site as well

Maybe some leagues differ, i think most go either head to head or a play off if points level at the end of the season.

I run a Veterans team ( the polar opposite of youth!) and we have the provision for this in our league, we even have “player loan forms” that we can fill in on the day to borrow a player from the other side. It is an official, county FA run & affiliated league that recognises the problem of getting a team of eleven together and so tries to be pro-active to overcome the problem.

That is a remarkably good idea.

Fair enough to the OP, you had to be there, sounds like you got a smile. So, yes, well done, friendly, good.

On the serious side, in any game, stopping early is a risky move as there might be someone who will use it against you.

In any league game, stopping before full time is a no-no because you might get in trouble with the league. Stopping early because a player/coach asked is a nightmare waiting to happen.

In more serious leagues I have been asked to not play added time by a losing team, or both teams. Even if you know the league and don’t think GDiff is important IMHO don’t do it. It will get used against you. My response on several occasions: smile, say it’s the same for everyone, make light of it, play a respectful amount of added time.

It's far better to be known for not pandering to player requests. If you are seen to do anything to benefit one team no matter the circumstances, it could bebus3d against you at another time. It will give the impression that you can be influenced and that will cause problems later. I'm not the fun police, I enjoy a laugh with the players whenever possible but we all know how quickly players and managers can turn in the next match. I'm sure they'll be no issue from this match but you don't need the nonsense that could possibly come your way at a later date. Remember, player a and managers will pigeon hole you from the first time you ref them. We are all the useless ref, ref with no idea, biased ref, best ref in the league (usually because we've allowed that team to get away with something they shouldn't) etc. You're instantly pigeon holed,that's just the way it is so don't give them any bullets to fire

Some kids need to learn what the word ‘failure’ means, too much smoke blown up their ar5e these days to affirm mediocrity! Too much nambypambyism if you ask me!

Last edited:

This. Law says that halves must be equal, and they aren't if you blow up early. I'm aware of at least one game that had to be replayed because of this. Only needs a jobsworth to report you and you either have to lie and claim that you didn't blow up early, or admit what you have done, neither really being a good idea.

I can understand @spuddy1878 despairing at some of the responses, but we were all normal once :yawn:
That said, as soon as you emerge from the phonebox in your back costume & FA badge, it's a bad idea to get too friendly with anyone. "They'll" only tread on your kryptonite as soon as your back is turned

It sounds to me like this game was played like an exhibition game and the referee knew that he could get away with what he did. He did what he did to raise a smile from both teams and show a human side to a referee whilst knowing full well his actions would not effect anything by way of result, goal difference or anything else for that matter. Also nobody but him would of been aware that he blew up 45 seconds early, so as far as anyone else was concerned 90 minutes was up.

So why doesn't everyone just get down off their high horses and give the lad a break.
This.
I seriously don't understand the amount of unfair criticism here for a game that the result was pre-determined and the team had made it clear they are playing the game to just have a bit of fun and have a lough. If he is appointed to one of these teams again in a serious game, he will go in with a good rapport and in all likelihood they will be more tolerant of his mistakes.

I have had similar games before and even got involved in play on the occasional instance (e.g the occasional cheeky intercept to pass the ball to the opponent). I await to be shut down in a similar way.

Referees are not heartless b@$t@1d$ some players make us out to be. Although reading this threat one can understand why they think that way. Showing your human side is not a bad thing so long as you understand your limits. For me the OP understood the limits for that game and acted within those limits but added to the enjoyment of everyone in the game.

Back