A&H

Jesus - VAR

The Referee Store
It produced the correct outcome under the current laws, surely that is what people wanted from VAR. Whilst the handling wasn't necessarily spotted at the time it would have been subsequently and then people would have been onto the referee, if not on here then certainly on other forums and in the press.

I just don't really get what people expect. If a goal is scored and there is any offence in the build up to it then it will be disallowed, I'm not really seeing why this is coming as any kind of surprise.
I think you're missing the point(s)

I see what you’re saying but it’s a bit of a difficult justification (correct outcome under the laws) when it’s not implemented for other objective law infractions.

Mainly referring to keepers coming off line at penalty kicks/encroachment.

I think they need to get rid or at least seriously reconsider the protocol.

Not going to happen given it is in the first season in England. It might get changed over time obviously, but what is there will be there for at least this season.

They have used it for encroachment, West Ham were penalised last week for it.

I think you're missing the point(s)

Why? Am I missing something obvious or did they get the correct decision?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't the biggest advocate of VAR and I predicted things like this might happen. But now it is in people can't complaint, it's like complaining about people speeding outside your house so the police put speed checks in and you get caught yourself, you can't blame anyone else.

Not going to happen given it is in the first season in England. It might get changed over time obviously, but what is there will be there for at least this season.

They have used it for encroachment, West Ham were penalised last week for it.
So if a goal is scored from a penalty (all goals are checked right?) and the replay clearly shows infringement by attacking players (an objective infraction of law) would VAR require a retake?

I was under the impression that they have a bit more discretion when it comes to those decisions which I think is difficult to justify when you see how it’s implemented with other decisions (the Sterling goal last week being a prime example).

Is this an issue with VAR though? That was just a tool used to highlight a poor law change. VAR actually worked well

So if a goal is scored from a penalty (all goals are checked right?) and the replay clearly shows infringement by attacking players (an objective infraction of law) would VAR require a retake?

I was under the impression that they have a bit more discretion when it comes to those decisions which I think is difficult to justify when you see how it’s implemented with other decisions (the Sterling goal last week being a prime example).

VAR will only get involved if it affects the play. So for example, the keeper encroaches and saves the kick, or a defender / attacker encroaches and influences play (as Declan Rice did leading to the retaken penalty against West Ham)

Is this an issue with VAR though? That was just a tool used to highlight a poor law change. VAR actually worked well
Strangely, although we've seen VAR fumble with subjective stuff in the past, it's now forensic inspection of 'some' black & white stuff which is causing controversy. I think recent events have emphasised how VAR has evolved into something which has no relation to C&O

Correct, We can disagree with the current handball law but it was applied perfectly today. Given that intent has been taken out for handling when a goal is scored, this is now no different to offside, it is black and white and either the attacker handled it or he didn't. The ball hit Laporte's arm, and even though it was totally accidental the only option now is a free kick and disallowed goal..

VAR will only get involved if it affects the play. So for example, the keeper encroaches and saves the kick, or a defender / attacker encroaches and influences play (as Declan Rice did leading to the retaken penalty against West Ham)
But there is some subjectivity as to which factual offending they'll look at. It's a can of worms

I really don’t see how they can justify that.

Encroachment (and keeper off the line) is arguably as objective as it gets when it comes to the Laws yet they’re introducing an objective element.

Which we don’t see when it comes to other laws.

They’re not making it easy for themselves.

Strangely, although we've seen VAR fumble with subjective stuff in the past, it's now the fact that black & white stuff is being forensically inspected which is causing controversy. I think this recent turn of events has emphasised how VAR has evolved into something which has no relation to C&O

Clear and obvious is only when it is subjective. The ball hitting the arm, a player being offside, etc, isn't subjective and is totally black and white.

Clear and obvious is only when it is subjective. The ball hitting the arm, a player being offside, etc, isn't subjective and is totally black and white.
A loosening of the Law with respect to goalkeepers and the goal line on PKs
How can offsides and HB be justified when this other stuff is ignored? An argument is weakened by exceptions
Anyway we've digressed. I'm not debating what's correct in Law, I'm only interested in the wellbeing of the game

Agreed on the goalkeeper off the line thing.

Can't get much more objective than that in law (and requires far less VAR 'scrutiny' if you like than offside) yet that is left to the on field officials?

Whether or not you're for VAR that inconsistency not justifiable.

Back