A&H

Jesus - VAR

The Referee Store
Lots of people thought they wanted this but perhaps they now wish they could put the genie back in the bottle........

Yep, but too late now and it isn't going anywhere. It may well be tweaked over the years but I can't see it ever going to a challenge system, and certainly not whilst the current FIFA refereeing bosses are in place.

Very much a case of be careful what you wish for I'm afraid. People wanted perfection from referees and that isn't possible with the naked eye, it is using video replay but that does mean delays and that very tight margins will be penalised / allowed.

Yep, but too late now and it isn't going anywhere. It may well be tweaked over the years but I can't see it ever going to a challenge system, and certainly not whilst the current FIFA refereeing bosses are in place.

Very much a case of be careful what you wish for I'm afraid. People wanted perfection from referees and that isn't possible with the naked eye, it is using video replay but that does mean delays and that very tight margins will be penalised / allowed.
I agree, they won't be doing a handbrake turn in their oil tanker (again) with the existing FIFA crew at the helm, regardless of the unfolding outcome
They'd rather choke on their whistles before coughing up a stat of < 98%

As an aside, I tolerated Talk Sport of a few nano seconds this morning. Just enough time to catch Mark Halsey enthusiastically point the finger of blame for the HB Law change, squarely at Elleray
Bit harsh, but I like a man that shoots from the hip

FIFA don't write the laws, and they don't have a voting majority so they can't implement any law changes without at least 1 of the home nations voting with them.

Halsey has never liked Elleray, I think it stems from when Halsey was on the Premier League his face didn't fit with Elleray (who was the boss at the time at the FA) and blamed him for stopping him from getting an FA Cup final.

But he has a point, the HB changes are a mess, and while under the previous laws it could be hard to determine whether an offence was deliberate or not the changes have far to many "it's normally an offence" which just complicates things further that will be even more confusion for teams etc.

Right I've had a think about this and I'm not sure the decision is supported in law. Take this clause from Law 12 which I believe is the one VAR will have use to chalk the goal off - it is an offence if:
"A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity."

In this instance, Laporte categorically does not gain control or possession of the ball after it has touched his hand/arm. The ball is gone in a matter of milliseconds after it touches him, so he cannot be said to have either gained control (the ball is bouncing around away from him) or to have gained possession of the ball (Jesus has it, not Laporte).

I originally thought this would still be an offence as Laporte's touch takes it to Jesus who scores (thus Laporte 'creates' the goal-scoring opportunity, as it were), but given that Laporte neither gains control nor possession of the ball after it touched his hand/arm, by the wording of the law, he cannot be penalised. I have no doubt this is the lawmakers' intention but it seems to me this caveat was not included in their thinking.

FIFA don't write the laws, and they don't have a voting majority so they can't implement any law changes without at least 1 of the home nations voting with them.

Halsey has never liked Elleray, I think it stems from when Halsey was on the Premier League his face didn't fit with Elleray (who was the boss at the time at the FA) and blamed him for stopping him from getting an FA Cup final.
But David Elleray is the IFAB technical director. I am thinking of referring to the new HB rule as the "Terry Henry rule"; as I think it was caused by his "unintentional handball" for France against Ireland in the WC play-off. That is what the law was designed to stop, not the Laporte on Sunday. The Wolves goal the previous weekend was also an example of what it was designed to stop, where the ball went in from his arm.

TELEMMGLPICT000206208110_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqJoJJwbSFFB6FIbXJ7mwEDJJ8IjL1YlPJBDBZyBKm58o.jpeg

Last edited:
But David Elleray is the FIFA technical director. I am thinking of referring to the new HB rule as the "Terry Henry rule"; as I think it was caused by his "unintentional handball" for France against Ireland in the WC play-off. That is what the law was designed to stop, not the Laporte on Sunday. The Wolves goal the previous weekend was also an example of what it was designed to stop, where the ball went in from his arm.

TELEMMGLPICT000206208110_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqJoJJwbSFFB6FIbXJ7mwEDJJ8IjL1YlPJBDBZyBKm58o.jpeg
I thought he worked for IFAB, as he is the person all law enquires go to

Neil Swarbrick (head of implementing VAR) on 5live this morning RE the Rodri incident: “Arm was around top of body yet Rodri fell forward not back as if he was pulled. Ref view was he felt contact, didn’t think he can he win header so went for pen. VAR looked at replays, what ref said was right so check complete."

On MNF they went over the incident with Dermot Gallagher (who went through some ridiculous mental gymnastics to avoid saying they'd made a mistake) and they all agreed Oliver wasn't even looking at the incident. Those at the top are either incompetent, willfully lying or so arrogant to admit they've made a mistake.

They'll use this as proof VAR is accurate as well. Stinks to high hell

i think they should learn from the MLS and put a video out every week explaining decisions, how VAR worked and whether they (the league) think the decision or use of VAR was correct.

we're all in one big VAR experiment at the moment and those in power need to find a solution, and fast, that satisfies all of footballs stakeholders.

i think they should learn from the MLS and put a video out every week explaining decisions, how VAR worked and whether they (the league) think the decision or use of VAR was correct.
Let me save you some time and save them some money. Next week's VAR decisions will be 99.7% correct. 99.8% the round after that. I'll let you guess the rest .

Let me save you some time and save them some money. Next week's VAR decisions will be 99.7% correct. 99.8% the round after that. I'll let you guess the rest .

missing entirely the point of this whole conversation

Out of interest, what % of decisions do the MLS claim were right and wrong every week, or is that not stated in the videos?

not sure, i dont watch them often (perhaps not even often enough to understand the purpose of the video) but at least they put our a clear and concise message.

i saw one recently with the corner/throw in situation which led to a goal a few weeks ago in the red bulls v new york city game, they explained very well why the decision wasn't reviewable under the VAR rules.

it would be good to see a senior figure within PGMOL appointed to do something similar. majority of the time us 'in the know' know what's going on but it would be useful for 'normal' fans who arent so clued up on the laws

it would be good to see a senior figure within PGMOL appointed to do something similar. majority of the time us 'in the know' know what's going on but it would be useful for 'normal' fans who arent so clued up on the laws

Won't make much difference if, like Neil Swarbrick's appearance today, they seem to distort the facts to fit their truth. Incapable of admitting when mistakes are made.

Reactions: es1
If they are not acting on certain stuff does that count towards the decisions they got right?
Or is it a second set of re-decisions later checking the initial checks?

They make more stats up than 98.7% of my posts! 🤥

Back