A&H

Jimenez Double Yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Hopefully the second one will make these calls more expected at grassroots.

Every time I've ever gave one for the same thing there's been arguments left right and center.

Good call from Moss.

Was the first a yellow?
Perhaps some previous in first 45?
Unsure about the "management" of the situation to get to the second.

Was the first a yellow?
He had just cautioned two Man City players for SPA, so it was always going to be a caution.

I don't think any management of the situation is needed, you can't legislate for a vastly experienced international footballer making such a stupid, stupid decision.

Was the first a yellow?
He’d just given Rodri and Dias a yellow for the same thing so couldn’t back out of giving Jimenez one. And for the second it looked like, in the ground, that Moss had already warned Jim five seconds before, about the same thing so he didn’t have much choice for the second yellow either. Served Jimenez right for being a knob imo

He had just cautioned two Man City players for SPA, so it was always going to be a caution.

I don't think any management of the situation is needed, you can't legislate for a vastly experienced international footballer making such a stupid, stupid decision.
I agree with "stupid", but ...
IF the caution/word had been sorted away from the foul and not "on top of it", it wouldn't have happened, unless player went back.
I would love to see the second Yellow offence applied more frequently at this level, but it won't be in any other TV game this weekend.

Really don’t think that first foul is a caution. But he’s made his bed with the 40seconds after.
If there was nothing earlier in the game from either team I agree, I think no card. But the tempo of the game was creeping up and the 2 cards within 5 minutes before meant there was no real option but to not give one.

Maybe its a US thing.

Was the second yellow for Delay or FRD?

If the referee was telling the defender to give 10 yards, that's new as I posted a thread about this. Its abused in Premier and the refs allow failure to retreat (there's a FK later with 2 mancity defenders, within 10, preventing a pass)

If the ref gave the card for DL, then I guess that is just unbelieveable.

As for FRD, in US soccer training, a quick free kick can be intercepted by a defender and play is NOT stopped. Its only FRD if the FK is prevented from being taken/defender closes distance.

The 2nd caution is 100% a caution BUT we will see it happen a dozen times this weekend with no action.

I was listening to this on the radio. At the time I didn’t get it. A ref should never have a distance problem after a yellow card - because the restart is on the whistle.

Now that I’ve seen this I think it is firstly, poor refereeing and also, I think it’s a mistake in law.

Moss has not blown the whistle. There is no restart, the ball is not in play.

I think this is s huge balls up by the ref. And it’s compounded by a series of errors: not penalizing obvious offences earlier, losing the game, giving arguably soft yellows in a bid to win back control, and then this.

Unless the DFK is taken quickly and the card delayed (not the case here) this is a ceremonial restart, Moss should manage the players, blow the whistle when ready. He doesn’t blow for restart, he’s lost it, and gives a second yellow, when what he should have done is point at his whistle and ger the restart taken cleanly.

Car crash for me

The 2nd caution is 100% a caution BUT we will see it happen a dozen times this weekend with no action.

No we won't. We will see players "stand on the ball" to try and stop it being taken quickly, but we won't see them stick a foot out after it has been taken to block it. And if we do it certainly won't be by a player who is already cautioned, and most definitely not from the free kick that he was cautioned for.

Why cant they block the pass from a free kick taken quickly?

It's in the law of offenses and sanctions. "If a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.5m from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue.

If the complaint is the defender didn't retreat 10 yds during a non-ceremonial free kick, well...that happens in every Premier match.

Watch later in the match and you'll find two MC defenders within 10 yds moving to prevent a pass on a FK forcing the restart to go backwards.

As referees, consistancy is a must. When young players watch abuse, they dont understand why they cant do the same thing.

It's in the law of offenses and sanctions. "If a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.5m from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue.

If the complaint is the defender didn't retreat 10 yds during a non-ceremonial free kick, well...that happens in every Premier match.

Watch later in the match and you'll find two MC defenders within 10 yds moving to prevent a pass on a FK forcing the restart to go backwards.

As referees, consistancy is a must. When young players watch abuse, they dont understand why they cant do the same thing.
It wasn't a non-ceremonial as there had just been a booking. The whole thing makes no sense IMHO.

That's intended for when a free kick taker just kicks the ball at an opponent to try and get them cautioned. And in reality it almost always gets retaken in that situation even though law says play should carry on. Had Jimenez done this, i.e. just stand still, I would have been very surprised if Jon Moss had cautioned him, but he didn't.

Just another law that is badly worded, and it goes back to the old style of football where pretty much every free kick was taken long. These days players aren't bothered about opponents being 10 yards away as they just want to play quickly and will more often than not go short, whether that is backwards, sideways or forward. But they are bothered about someone who isn't 10 yards away then intercepting the free kick. Classic case here of what football expects, almost everyone in football expects a caution there, including his own manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back