A&H

Juv vs Sal

The Referee Store
Don't really see the issue here, he was clearly in an offside position and clearly made an attempt to play the ball.

The fact that the scorer has rocks for brains and takes his shirt off when he is already on a yellow has got nothing to do with VAR, that's just pure stupidity.

Don't really see the issue here, he was clearly in an offside position and clearly made an attempt to play the ball.

The fact that the scorer has rocks for brains and takes his shirt off when he is already on a yellow has got nothing to do with VAR, that's just pure stupidity.

It's actually not clear. The var seemed to miss the defender standing over near the corner who was probably keeping him on.

I think it's a massive stretch to say that Bonucci's attempt to play the ball has impacted the goalkeeper here. He less-than-halfheartedly puts his arm up, but if he was genuinely affected by Bonucci's being there then I guarantee you he would be appealing much more vociferously.

I think due to all the madness theres a shirt pull on Bonucci thats been missed. Not sure if hes in an offside position first when it happens.
The shirt pull definitely happens before the offside 'offence' (it doesn't matter if he's in an offside position when he's fouled, it only matters whether he commits an offside offence before or after the foul happens).

Last edited:
It's actually not clear. The var seemed to miss the defender standing over near the corner who was probably keeping him on.

I can understand making the judgement call about interfering with an opponent (even if I disagree with it), but to have missed that is appalling. If it's a case of the VAR not having access to an angle which shows all the way across the pitch, then that's something that clearly should have been identified and sorted in advance. If they had a view which showed it and they've just missed it, then that is utterly amateurish.

I can understand making the judgement call about interfering with an opponent (even if I disagree with it), but to have missed that is appalling. If it's a case of the VAR not having access to an angle which shows all the way across the pitch, then that's something that clearly should have been identified and sorted in advance. If they had a view which showed it and they've just missed it, then that is utterly amateurish.
I’m fine with the interfering due to the attempt—the GK to deal with someone attempting to head the ball that close to the goal. I think this is the kind of play that language was put in for.

On the OS, part of what I find as mystifying is I would expect the AR to have been saying that it was the player on the far side that kept the attacker on. So if they can’t find a video with that player’s location, shouldn’t that in and of itself mean there can’t be a C&O error?

was watching this live...i called var straight away though I don't for a second think this should be an offside offence. there's no way he's impacted the keeper saving it, was flying in regardless.

the pic you've posted @cwyeary is incredible...if they missed that then var want shooting

There's something very odd about that screenshot - the slant of the lines and the seats is hurting my brain! But assuming it's a legitimate complaint, that's a bad miss by the VAR.

There was confusion. VAR added to the confusion by the unexpected very late intervention
The rest was just an embarrassing. Pretty much where the game ends up so frequently. Partly the fault of the participants, mostly the fault of the way the game is officiated IMO (players/managers only behave the way they've been conditioned or allowed to)

There was confusion. VAR added to the confusion by the unexpected very late intervention
The rest was just an embarrassing. Pretty much where the game ends up so frequently. Partly the fault of the participants, mostly the fault of the way the game is officiated IMO (players/managers only behave the way they've been conditioned or allowed to)
Your prejudices are stopping you taking a fair look at this.

If we ignore the wide player, this is textbook VAR and exactly what it exists for - a game that would have otherwise been decided by an "unfair" goal is 100% what people would have moaned about pre-VAR and is absolutely part of the justification for it's existence.

The players are a full-on disgrace though. They have no idea what he's being sent to the screen for - so what are they arguing about? He's given the most mandatory of mandatory yellows, which happens to be a second, then has been asked to review "something" - these are incredibly standard calls, nothing controversial happens until well after the bench-emptying brawl has already occurred. Awful discipline from these "professionals", it's a shame the actual VAR call is going to overshadow that, because that's the real story here for me.

If we ignore the wide player, this is textbook VAR and exactly what it exists for - a game that would have otherwise been decided by an "unfair" goal is 100% what people would have moaned about pre-VAR and is absolutely part of the justification for it's existence.
The goalkeeper makes no adjustment whatsoever due to Bonucci attempting to play the ball. His feet are planted, he doesn't move, he just watches the ball fly straight in the net. There is simply no evidence that Bonucci's presence has impacted the goalkeeper.

Reactions: es1
The goalkeeper makes no adjustment whatsoever due to Bonucci attempting to play the ball.

The fact that he's challenging for the ball is surely enough to be involved in active play?

The fact that he's challenging for the ball is surely enough to be involved in active play?
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched
by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
[...]
• interfering with an opponent by:
• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by
clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
• challenging an opponent for the ball or
•clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts
on an opponent or
•making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an
opponent to play the ball
Just attempting to play the ball isn't an offside offence on its own.

It certainly could qualify under either of the last two bullet points you quote. Does it definitely in this situation? Well that's up to the referee to decide - he was sent to the screen, took one look and immediately decided it needed to be disallowed.

To be honest, this is a pointless debate. The defender near the far corner arc is clearly keeping everyone in the penalty area onside. It’s not even close. This is one that if it was given as offside on the field in MLS (where Hawkeye lines are not in use and the call on the field stands unless there is clear evidence to overturn an offside), the mowing lines of the field and the goal area line would clearly and obviously show everyone in the penalty area as onside.

It’s just a shocking miss by the VAR team.

To be honest, this is a pointless debate.
I disagree - any of us could have a situation like this (ignoring the matter of the defender playing him onside) when we're officiating this weekend, so it's good to discuss it.
It certainly could qualify under either of the last two bullet points you quote. Does it definitely in this situation? Well that's up to the referee to decide - he was sent to the screen, took one look and immediately decided it needed to be disallowed.
Again, there is no evidence from the replays that Bonucci's presence has impacted the goalkeeper.

I disagree - any of us could have a situation like this (ignoring the matter of the defender playing him onside) when we're officiating this weekend, so it's good to discuss it.

Again, there is no evidence from the replays that Bonucci's presence has impacted the goalkeeper.
Rightly or wrongly, I think football expects this goal to be chalked off because of the attempted play on the ball (in the scenario where the attacker is deemed to have been in an Offside position). You're right, there's no evidence that the GK was impacted, however the argument would be that he didn't move because of the possible header from the attacker in an offside position. It's the same kind of logic as chalking off the goal because of an offside attacker clearly in the light of sight of the GK, even when it's blindingly obvious that the GK wouldn't have saved it regardless. I have sympathy with your POV but would still have been massively surprised to see VAR or the referee follow through with that logic

Back