A&H

Kick Off

DaleM

Was doing an U16 game yesterday, my 4th game refereeing. Got there, introduced myself and realised that one goal was smaller than the other so got that corrected, got the match ball, warmed up etc.

Just before 1.30pm (KO time), the home side let me know they're ready to go. At this point one side is still on the side of the pitch receiving a team talk. I'm eager to get under way on time so I blow the whistle and call for skippers. The home side get in to position, the away side stay where they are. I give them a minute and still no sign, so give the whistle another couple of peeps.

Still nothing - I have to wait around another minute for them to get on the park. Eventually get them on and get under way around 3-4 minutes late.

What should I have done differently in that situation? I know it's nothing major but I suppose if the home side had made a noise about the fact they were ready on time and the away side weren't bothering their arses, it could have easily threatened my match control before I'd even got the game under way - I certainly felt a bit of a turnip getting zero response from two attempts!

The Referee Store
Start without them?!;)

I, too, would appreciate advice on this - it is a bubgbear that annoys me. (and for the start of the second half, to.)

Was doing an U16 game yesterday, my 4th game refereeing. Got there, introduced myself and realised that one goal was smaller than the other so got that corrected, got the match ball, warmed up etc.

Just before 1.30pm (KO time), the home side let me know they're ready to go. At this point one side is still on the side of the pitch receiving a team talk. I'm eager to get under way on time so I blow the whistle and call for skippers. The home side get in to position, the away side stay where they are. I give them a minute and still no sign, so give the whistle another couple of peeps.

Still nothing - I have to wait around another minute for them to get on the park. Eventually get them on and get under way around 3-4 minutes late.

What should I have done differently in that situation? I know it's nothing major but I suppose if the home side had made a noise about the fact they were ready on time and the away side weren't bothering their arses, it could have easily threatened my match control before I'd even got the game under way - I certainly felt a bit of a turnip getting zero response from two attempts!

Regardless of the side on time, use an opportunity like this to assert your authority.

Firm but fair and polite.

I'm assuming from what you said about the goals this is a junior game, so direct your conversation to the coach of the slow ass team.

First time 'captains please'
Second time *harder and slightly longer blast* 'OK red/blue/green, I need your skipper now please, we're all ready to go. Thank you' (make eye contact with coach and really bellow it so everybody can see you're dealing with it and they are the problem)
Third time *hardest and longest blast in history and firm icy stare at the coach concerned* 'OK red/blue/green we've all waited long enough and we're now past kick-off time. If you're not prepared to start now I'll have to abandon the game and class it as a refusal to play'.

I guarantee there will be an awful lot of other people shouting at them by this point, and rightly so.

Front up to a challenge to your authority like that full bore mate.

At this lower level when you speak to the team advise them blah de blah 1330Hrs KO so ready in X (however long it is minus 5 mins ie at 1310 = ready in 15 please).

At your T-5 blow and a strong "captains please" - if a team doesn't ackowledge you after 10 seconds - "Reds, captain, please."

Get to the middle with the other captain - bit of chat or banter, or awkward silence and if nothing after a further minute I'd be going over and probably interruting - coach, can we go please, no one wants a late KO fine please, and back to the middle. They are now in their own time.

Anything after a few seconds, no movement that I'm waiting and they are getting fined for the late KO by X minutes.

If you dont do a team talk / speak to the coach, now might be a time to do one (and if not, when do your check their kit .....?)

So, does that mean I'm the only person who would be warning them that if they don't take the field within the next 10 seconds, I'll be starting the KO the moment they're on the field and not wait for them to get into position? No problems following through on that threat!

If the coach warrants speaking to during the match then you could certainly consider this prematch nonsense his first warning as well....

So, does that mean I'm the only person who would be warning them that if they don't take the field within the next 10 seconds, I'll be starting the KO the moment they're on the field and not wait for them to get into position? No problems following through on that threat!
LOTG requires a coin toss; without that you can't legally start the game.

Check your competitions rules, find out the fine for a late start, report to the league secretary.

I'm assuming from what you said about the goals this is a junior game, so direct your conversation to the coach of the slow ass team.

Cheers all for the advice so far. It was an U16 game so full size goals but had put the wrong cross bar in one.

Think the points on communication can help this especially. It's odd that we should have to tell them given they undoubtedly know that when the whistle is blown, they're expected to get into position, but I suppose it's about getting rid of their excuse.

I gave my first penalty early on in this match (stonewaller thankfully!) and after watching highlights of a fairly high profile referee 'walking in' as a penalty is taken and thinking it was a bit odd, have only just realised I was stood in absolutely the wrong place for the penalty on Sunday. Odd one but glad I've finally realised!

Cheers all for the advice so far. It was an U16 game so full size goals but had put the wrong cross bar in one.

Think the points on communication can help this especially. It's odd that we should have to tell them given they undoubtedly know that when the whistle is blown, they're expected to get into position, but I suppose it's about getting rid of their excuse.

I gave my first penalty early on in this match (stonewaller thankfully!) and after watching highlights of a fairly high profile referee 'walking in' as a penalty is taken and thinking it was a bit odd, have only just realised I was stood in absolutely the wrong place for the penalty on Sunday. Odd one but glad I've finally realised!

You're absolutely right, it is odd you should have to tell them to get into position. But they know what they're up to, they're not being naive.

See it as a direct assault on your authority and take the 'I'll fckn show them...' mentality.

Really ruffle? :rolleyes:

In terms of the team ignoring you, depending on the strength of your shout, I personally go with blasting the whistle as if I'm giving a penalty and a red card and if I'm still ignored I'll shout over to get on with it

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LOTG requires a coin toss; without that you can't legally start the game.
Uhh yes, that pesky thing. Well, I guess it's applicable if they've done the toss and then they went back to the coach for the last hurrah....
I'm all for reporting them.
Although in my leagues, due to tight scheduling we're instructed to reduce the time off each half if the match starts late. I might decide near the end of the first half whether that team would benefit from doing so or not ;-)

Yep, I've never had cause to report a late kick off so far, but it sounds like this team was asking for that. If you're feeling generous, walk over and make it clear that you intend to do that if they don't get in position now, but that's far from mandatory.

Back