A&H
Make sure you report the team to their league, otherwise future referees will come up against the same problem that you had.
I would have done but the league a week earlier changed their rules and now allow coloured shirts if there is a clash. Common sense prevails.
do you have badges on your coloured shirts, here in scotland we can wear any colour, but you must have a referee badge on it
No I haven't, but I always put my black shirts on which are both badged so they see that before I change. Do I need a refs badge on this shirt?
Polite guidance needed please!

The Referee Store
I would have done but the league a week earlier changed their rules and now allow coloured shirts if there is a clash. Common sense prevails.

I am fine with the league allowing you to wear a coloured shirt. What league was this on, as the Standard FA rules specifically ban balck and dark kits at grassroots football. That is what you should be reporting them for.

FROM SCOR 2018/19
CLUB COLOURS
19. Every Club must register the colour of its shirts and shorts with the Secretary by [date] who shall decide as to their suitability.
Any Club wishing to change its colours during the Playing Season must obtain permission from the Management Committee.
Goalkeepers must wear colours which distinguish them from all other Players and the Match Officials.
No Player, including the goalkeeper, shall be permitted to wear black or very dark shirts.

So, the order is you accept the dark kit, change into your other kit ,THEN the goalkeeper has to find another colour to play in. The third line is very specific that the goalkeeper is the last one to chose his shirt colour. If necessary, he has to do any and everything to avoid a clash including long sleeved training top / shirt on backwards.

If it is an affiliated league at step 7 or below they MUST adopt the standard code of rules as Lincs has said otherwise they won't get sanctioned to operate. They may well allow referees to wear a coloured shirt, but they can't change or not adopt the SCoR rule about dark shirts.

from what I understand these teams have worn these colours for a long time. Certainly be wearing them longer than the 3 years I have been reffing the league. This year the league decided to change its stance on coloured shirts, the clubs voted for this at their agm, so I imagine there will be teams in black this year or they have now realised that in the winter months the teams who play in dark blue are clashing with the the ref. I know one team have been in dark blue for twenty years.

from what I understand these teams have worn these colours for a long time. Certainly be wearing them longer than the 3 years I have been reffing the league. This year the league decided to change its stance on coloured shirts, the clubs voted for this at their agm, so I imagine there will be teams in black this year or they have now realised that in the winter months the teams who play in dark blue are clashing with the the ref. I know one team have been in dark blue for twenty years.

Doesn't mean it is right though as they are breaking sanction rules and could risk having their affiliation withdrawn.

I assume that this is a sanctioned league by a CFA. Then how did the rules get approved by their CFA - they are meant to uphold the SCoR foundation.

This could be expensive for the league, as the only exemption (I think) for wearing black or dark kits is to supply referees with suitably sized tops to anybody you will referee them.

It depends how the club colours are stated on their entry form. We had a team whose stated colour was "red and black shirts, black shorts and socks" When they turned up for their first game they were actually black shirts with red pinstripes, and black everything else. When I and others reported them they pleaded poverty because they'd spent all their money on a nice new kit, and the league allowed it for a season because otherwise they'd fold.

The team obviously knew it wasn't allowed because otherwise they would have stated "black shirts" and this would have been picked up - they were not red and black or even black and red. The league rules state, as all others should, no black or very dark shirts, but teams assume that a tiny bit of colour makes everything ok. They don't think about why it's not allowed because they see teams in black on TV.

Back