A&H

Lack of Oxygen

Well you assumed wrong dintcha!! ;)

"Medically trained" is a very broad term to use anyway.

Lets just say I am "medically trained" but that I'm not a doctor okay? :)

I actually explained away my cynicism in post #14 but, for the record, oxygen is generally given to any injured athlete who has been "injured" in such a way where it's believed they won't be continuing in their sport in the short term ie that day/match/whatever except where it's a head injury. It's given as a matter of course because it's immediate effect on the body does much to aid the recovery process, both short and long term.

Medical staff can normally quickly assess the extent of a persons injuries during contact sport on site - even complicated soft tissue damage such as ligaments etc.

Rightly or (wrongly as you seem to think) I was just a bit incredulous at the immediate application of oxygen to a player who was suffering with nothing more than (as it turns out) bruised ribs.

Like I said, I'm a bit cynical with the drama side of stuff these days, but having been in a situation where I've had to administer first aid and medical treatment to a person who was fighting for their life, I sometimes marvel at the "Nanny State" hysteria that the media induces in society on so many levels today that's all.

No offence by the way. :) :cool:

The Referee Store
Well you assumed wrong dintcha!! ;)

"Medically trained" is a very broad term to use anyway.

Lets just say I am "medically trained" but that I'm not a doctor okay? :)

I actually explained away my cynicism in post #14 but, for the record, oxygen is generally given to any injured athlete who has been "injured" in such a way where it's believed they won't be continuing in their sport in the short term ie that day/match/whatever except where it's a head injury. It's given as a matter of course because it's immediate effect on the body does much to aid the recovery process, both short and long term.

Medical staff can normally quickly assess the extent of a persons injuries during contact sport on site - even complicated soft tissue damage such as ligaments etc.

Rightly or (wrongly as you seem to think) I was just a bit incredulous at the immediate application of oxygen to a player who was suffering with nothing more than (as it turns out) bruised ribs.

Like I said, I'm a bit cynical with the drama side of stuff these days, but having been in a situation where I've had to administer first aid and medical treatment to a person who was fighting for their life, I sometimes marvel at the "Nanny State" hysteria that the media induces in society on so many levels today that's all.

No offence by the way. :):cool:
images.jpeg
Come on @Kes fess up, you got a first aid badge as a cub scout in 1975!! :devil:

Reactions: Kes
It is poor that the home team apparently ignored the league rules requirement on have oxygen on hand, and it baffles me that the league wouldnt require an ambulance to be present.

Whether an injured player requires oxygen is up to the medical professionals present.

Player safety is always obviously a consideration for every referee, but like you say, it's the trained professional's call - not the referee's whether or not a player should receive oxygen. I know that it's considered standard practice for any traumatised or badly injured sportsman to receive it on-field these days but she had bruised ribs!
She had seriously bruised ribs and sternum and was having difficulty breathing. This wasn't just the 'standard practice' of giving oxygen for something like a leg injury, this was oxygen that was needed in order to keep her breathing properly. The medical professionals that attended her felt that her condition was serious enough that they wouldn't even allow her to be moved off the pitch for a full 30 minutes, so I don't think this was as trivial an injury as you are trying to make it sound. Also, the doctors at hospital she was taken to were sufficiently concerned that they kept her in for observation overnight which I doubt they would have done for just some minor bruising.

I have to say that to me, your dismissive remarks and unsympathetic attitude come across not simply as 'a tad cynical' but more like callous and uncaring, especially for a referee who as you yourself say, should have players' welfare as one of their primary concerns.

Last edited:
I have to say that to me, your dismissive remarks and unsympathetic attitude come across not simply as 'a tad cynical' but more like callous and uncaring, especially for a referee who as you yourself say, should have players' welfare as one of their primary concerns.

Nah. I think "a tad cynical" pretty much nails it.

And for the record, I might have player safety (not welfare) in my mind during a match I'm refereeing myself Peter but this particular match was someone else's concern.
Be as "caring" as you like from your armchair mate, we can all do that. Perhaps I was a bit "dismissive" but it was only my own opinion based on my own experience.
Maybe confine yourself to what you do best ie trawling dated and historic amendments to the LOTG for our our enjoyment instead of trying to assassinate my character on here.

Good day to you Sir. :cool:

If they'd of mixed the Oxygen they had with some Potassium, then i'm sure things would be OK by now!!! :)

Ah yes, the trusty water bottle. A player once twisted his knee in the ground in one of my games which was later discovered to be ligament damage. I was incredibly surprised to hear that the person from the sideline who came on the pitch and squirted water over his knee was unable to prevent that!
at least we have moved on from one spray of ralgex fixes everything

I could do with a tank of oxygen on my back during games; just for a quick self-administered 'pick-me-up' or to act as a rapid response unit for any sternum injuries ;)

Back