A&H

Last of my five games

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I had a game around 2 weeks ago where in the first 10 minutes there was a lot of dissent from one player in particular, needless to say he got cautioned. In the same half another player from the same team dicides to give a bit of verbals, nothing offensive, again he gets cautioned.

In the second half a player who I have already cautioned for dissent carries on and find themselves with a second caution for dissent. Final whistle goes and the second player goes "well done ref. w****r" cue his second caution. Though I could've given a straight red for that I didn't feel it was strong enough for offinabus.

My learning from this game was that you can warn a player to a point if they are stupid enough to keep going after that then they need to learn that their actions have consequences.

Like the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

I had a game around 2 weeks ago where in the first 10 minutes there was a lot of dissent from one player in particular, needless to say he got cautioned. In the same half another player from the same team dicides to give a bit of verbals, nothing offensive, again he gets cautioned.

In the second half a player who I have already cautioned for dissent carries on and find themselves with a second caution for dissent. Final whistle goes and the second player goes "well done ref. w****r" cue his second caution. Though I could've given a straight red for that I didn't feel it was strong enough for offinabus.

My learning from this game was that you can warn a player to a point if they are stupid enough to keep going after that then they need to learn that their actions have consequences.

Like the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

Well done mate.

Far too many players think they are immune to a second after one dissent caution. Far too many players think they can say what they want after the final whistle.

@Chrisp72 - I hope that you are OK and will continue the wonderful joys of refereeing. We have all been there, wishing the ground would open up. All referees have had matches they wish they could delete from their memories.

The test is how you develop your refereeing skills after such a match.
1. Ensure that you are confident to take the next match. This may be tomorrow, next weekend or after a couple of weeks.
2. Moving into adult football is difficult. In York, we try and get new referees to act as assistants first to get an understanding of what is required. Perhaps acting as a NAR may give you tips.
3. If you ever feel the game is getting away from you, then "strangle the game". Give every infringement, allow no advantage, free-kicks to the blade of grass, caution all dissent. Players will learn quickly, and once they do, let the game breath again.
4. Don't ask for calm. The players realise that you have lost it - as the player said after the first penalty award, he should have been cautioned for his comment.

On the last point of the abandonment, did you get paid?
I trust that you have reported the abandonment to both the BCFA and the league - they will take action against both clubs for it. And the joy, since it is the fault of both clubs - They will probably order the match to be replayed. That with be a joy for the appointed referee - are you available @Padfoot ?

@Chrisp72 - I hope that you are OK and will continue the wonderful joys of refereeing. We have all been there, wishing the ground would open up. All referees have had matches they wish they could delete from their memories.

1. Ensure that you are confident to take the next match. This may be tomorrow, next weekend or after a couple of weeks.
2. Moving into adult football is difficult. In York, we try and get new referees to act as assistants first to get an understanding of what is required. Perhaps acting as a NAR may give you tips.
3. If you ever feel the game is getting away from you, then "strangle the game". Give every infringement, allow no advantage, free-kicks to the blade of grass, caution all dissent. Players will learn quickly, and once they do, let the game breath again.
4. Don't ask for calm. The players realise that you have lost it - as the player said after the first penalty award, he should have been cautioned for his comment.

I trust that you have reported the abandonment to both the BCFA and the league - they will take action against both clubs for it. And the joy, since it is the fault of both clubs - They will probably order the match to be replayed. That with be a joy for the appointed referee - are you available @Padfoot ?
Hi mate , yes I have been paid they gave me the fee before the ko.
I have reported the incident to the league and the Bcfa which was last Thursday evening i am yet to hear back from either .
Thanks for your reply I will take all the advice on board

Who's paying my travel expenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back