A&H

Law 11 offside

Forlan

Scenario:

Attacking Red player is pressing defending blue player as the defender clears the ball red player is onside. The ball then ricochets off another blue defender to attacking red player who is now behind the 2nd last defender.
Offside awarded??

The Referee Store
If he plays the ball or prevents the blue from playing it and if he was in an offside position when it hit the other red player, then yes it is an offside offence.
Is this the case because it was not a deliberate pass back, and attacking player gains advantage by being in offside position? Thanks!

@RefJef from this time next year I'll be setting and marking the damn stuff ;)

Fantastic- great to hear you are joining the profession. Although we moan about it, it can’t be too bad as I’ve be doing it for over twenty years now!

When I took up refereeing, I found my experience as a teacher helped hugely, I’m sure you’ll find the same going the other way - an awful lot of crossover in managing 22+ players on the pitch and 22+ pupils in the classroom

Scenario:

Attacking Red player is pressing defending blue player as the defender clears the ball red player is onside. The ball then ricochets off another blue defender to attacking red player who is now behind the 2nd last defender.
Offside awarded??

Correct me if I've misread this, but there seems to be only one red attacker included in this scenario so I'm not sure of the thought process for thinking this was offside? Are you essentially asking if a blue player kicks the ball to a red player, is he offside?

Correct me if I've misread this, but there seems to be only one red attacker included in this scenario so I'm not sure of the thought process for thinking this was offside? Are you essentially asking if a blue player kicks the ball to a red player, is he offside?
I think the confusion in the OP is caused by the fact that "a rebound from a defender does not reset offside". It can be wrongly interpreted that because in the OP the ball last rebound off a defender and went to an offside player then it should be offside.

What is not considered in this wrong interpretation is that there was never an offside before the rebound so whether it should be reset or not is irrelevant.

Not only does infinity exist, there is more than one infinity. In fact, there are an infinite number of infinities.
I don't think that helps me with the pickle i'm in
I can't get to sleep at night imaging Rondon being offside an infinite number of times. Now i have to picture this unimaginable infinite nightmare, over and over until the end of time. Hold on, does time truly exist? I feel an anxiety attack coming on... 😕

And as this thread has taken a rather surprising turn, can I offer you my latest thought:

Schrodinger’s offside - until you have checked the (VAR) box, a player is both simultaneously onside and offside
Deep for this time of night @RefJef ........and if that's the case then my decision will always be correct, but then again it always was........

Back