A&H

Law Questions

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
I have a few questions and I just cannot find the answer.

What happens if the wall keeps shuffling forward. Who receives the caution, especially if I think they are doing it to waste time.

What happens if no one shows up to take a set piece, as in the teams wasting time, nobody approaches and 20 seconds or so have passed.

Indirect free kicks in the box. If they are in the 6 yard box, they get moved to the closest area to the 6 yard box, and everyone must remain 10 yards away or on the goal line.

If the defensive team takes a throw in higher up the field, while you are communicating for the to move it back. Do you swap the throw over. Same with what happens if a team takes their throw in 20/30 yards deeper than they are supposed to. Would you swap teams over taking it?

Is there any good solid material for learning the laws of the game outside the app. Like a podcast/youtube/something else.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Firstly the laws cannot cover every scenario, so we revert to spirit of game and what football expects.

I have a few questions and I just cannot find the answer.

What happens if the wall keeps shuffling forward. Who receives the caution, especially if I think they are doing it to waste time
Pick one. Probably best to pick one not already on a caution
What happens if no one shows up to take a set piece, as in the teams wasting time, nobody approaches and 20 seconds or so have passed.
Eventually some has to give themselves up to take the restart. Easy pickings. I'd be very very clear with skipper what the consequences are. Ultimately, complete refusal to continue the game is likely abandonment but a ridiculously unlikely scenario.
Indirect free kicks in the box. If they are in the 6 yard box, they get moved to the closest area to the 6 yard box, and everyone must remain 10 yards away or on the goal line.
This is in law.
If the defensive team takes a throw in higher up the field, while you are communicating for the to move it back. Do you swap the throw over. Same with what happens if a team takes their throw in 20/30 yards deeper than they are supposed to. Would you swap teams over taking it?
Technically this is a foul throw. No surprises. Try and stop them from taking it. Blow the whistle before its thrown and Get them back.
Is there any good solid material for learning the laws of the game outside the app. Like a podcast/youtube/something else.
No substitute for learning the laws. The q&a section is good for learning.

Nit pick: the ball moves to the part of the goal area line parallel to the goal line, not the closest part of the goal area line. (A MLS ref famously got this wrong in a game!) And the opponents must be 10 yards away or on the goal line between the goal posts.
agree with the Q&A section, as well as rereading and rereading the Laws and guidance in there. And, as you’ve already found, forums like this are a great place to play with the nuance of many of the Laws, both technically and practically—you’ll learn a lot just hanging out here. Be careful with what you find on the web. While there is good stuff out there, like any part of the web, there is also outdated stuff and stuff from those who think they know far more than they do.

Thanks gents. I find googling most questions a nightmare as it is geared towards players and searching ifab is a nightmare for a novice.

If you put in a keyword, half the time it doesn't show up. Then when you eventually find it, the keyword you entered is actually in the text.

Thanks gents. I find googling most questions a nightmare as it is geared towards players and searching ifab is a nightmare for a novice.

If you put in a keyword, half the time it doesn't show up. Then when you eventually find it, the keyword you entered is actually in the text.
I find using the diet version that ifab set up recently, and then going from there the the full fat version of the laws can be helpful if you're not quite sure.

Yeah absolutely. Probably cause I'm an idiot, but I find it is a right pain to find something.

I know it is all in there, but if I'm looking for something vague, I just tend to go back and forth on the search function.

Not bashing the app, defo a me issue.

Yeah absolutely. Probably cause I'm an idiot, but I find it is a right pain to find something.

I know it is all in there, but if I'm looking for something vague, I just tend to go back and forth on the search function.

Not bashing the app, defo a me issue.
you can also use the table of contents. Doesn’t take long till you pretty much know what section to go to in oreder it find things.

Back