A&H

Leave it shout

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
Outside of the box a striker shouts leave it. Probably to one of his team mates (I know this is probably an important part). Then he scores.

The opposite team take me aside and say, "got to chop that goal off mate, he shouted leave it, can't do that".

I said I thought he was talking to his own team. So not an offence, goal stands.

Then I heard the team discuss amoungst themselves, "ref doesn't know the law, leave it isn't allowed".

Screenshot_20230422-082714.png

So my question is, if there is a big clump of players, and you clearly hear "leave it" then the ball is rifled into the net.

Do you chop the goal.

The Referee Store
Nope.
Unless you definitely believe what was said/shouted/the noise made was done simply to distract an opponent, no offence occurs.

It’s a massive myth, particularly in England, around “putting your name on it”. Nothing in law requires it or supports it.

Nope.
Unless you definitely believe what was said/shouted/the noise made was done simply to distract an opponent, no offence occurs.

It’s a massive myth, particularly in England, around “putting your name on it”. Nothing in law requires it or supports it.
I think care is needed in the wording here - the law says "verbally distracts", rather than "done simply to distract"
Subtle difference, but gives the referee more scope to penalise

Nope.

Yeah. That was another thing they argued. "they didn't put a name on it ref".

Thank you for a clear concise answer.

It is always a good feeling when you stand your ground and turn out to be correct, especially when you don't actually know and the law is a little vague.

It is always a good feeling when you stand your ground and turn out to be correct, especially when you don't actually know and the law is a little vague.
"Can't say leave it". :rolleyes:
Just another player myth that's been allowed to develop probably through referees not doing their job properly and not explaining their decision to penalise it.
It's right up there with "How can it be dissent Ref - I never swore at you?".

I love 'but they still have the ball'.

I hear it every other game. Last game keeper made contact with striker on one-on-one. Striker fell but got straight up and started running for the ball now with his back to goal.

Whistled for a penalty and had to listen to the defending team go insane for 3 minutes about how the striker still has possession.

Same with advantages. Player gets fouled edge of the box and the foul forces them off to the corner flag or something. "But he still has the ball ref".

And there is no such thing as just an IFK here, either. It is a caution for USB, or it is nothing. And to get there, we need to see an impact on an opponent.

Reactions: one
Nope.

Again, this is people thinking of the LOTG from 30 years ago. It was regularly blown for if a player shouted "leave it" and it distracted an opponent. But that was 30 ish years ago. Same as obstruction and foul language. The LOTG and expectations have moved on, but not the players brains 🧠
Evolution is a great thing 🐒

I have to admit a certain sense of satisfaction when ignoring 'can't shout leave it' claims. Almost always it's clear who shouted, to whom they shouted and what they meant. In 20 years I've only had one incident where it was done to distract an opponent.

I have to admit a certain sense of satisfaction when ignoring 'can't shout leave it' claims. Almost always it's clear who shouted, to whom they shouted and what they meant. In 20 years I've only had one incident where it was done to distract an opponent.
To be fair, I've seen it a few times (players shouting just before a DFK or a penalty mostly). Easy to penalise as long as you know who's done it...!

Again, this is people thinking of the LOTG from 30 years ago. It was regularly blown for if a player shouted "leave it" and it distracted an opponent. But that was 30 ish years ago. Same as obstruction and foul language. The LOTG and expectations have moved on, but not the players brains 🧠

Um, no, they may be remembering misapplication from 30. This isn't something that has changed. It was never just an IFK in the Laws for "not putting a name to it." It was then, as it is now, a question for the R of USB or nothing.

(And impeding an opponent without contact is the same offense that used to be called obstruction--the name changed, not the offense.)

Agree with @socal lurker here. I am not sure you have put this the way you meant it. It is an offence even now " if a player shouted "leave it" and it distracted an opponent." LOTG has NOT moved on from that.

What we have now is a better system where laws of the game are more prevalent and referees learn more from modern tools and teachings than myths and "how it was always done". Those myths will take a few generation to disappear but they will.

To be fair, I've seen it a few times (players shouting just before a DFK or a penalty mostly). Easy to penalise as long as you know who's done it...!
Ditto - had it a few times with a penalty (once retaken after a miss, and they scored the retake) but never above U13s.

Ditto - had it a few times with a penalty (once retaken after a miss, and they scored the retake) but never above U13s.
I've had it a few times in open play with knucklehead kids who call off an opponent to let the ball through--where clearly the opponent hears the call and deliberately lets it through. Players are always surprised they got caught.

Not sure where you're getting this from. I was refereeing 30 years ago and I can assure you that even back then it was only the small clueless minority of referees who would blow up for this.

The LOTG didn't support it any more back then than they do now.

Not sure where you're getting this from. I was refereeing 30 years ago and I can assure you that even back then it was only the small clueless minority of referees who would blow up for this.
It was more common then (especially in Lincolnshire) for there to be a free-kick.....
The LOTG didn't support it any more back then than they do now.
Agreed, there was nothing in the LOTG then, but the players expectation at very, grassroots level was for an offence.

Back