A&H

Leaving the FOP without permission

one

RefChat Addict
Interesting scenario in my game on Wednesday night.

Ball goes out for a Red TI about 5 meters away from their TA. Red player walks to the edge of the fence grabs the ball comes forward to shape for a TI then just underarm throws the ball to a nearby team mate on the FOP. Walks to the TA and grabs the Dencorub a sub was using and starts rubbing it on his thigh. In the meantime the teammate with the ball proceeds to take the TI.

I was really not sure what to do at first. He clearly left the field as part of play for grabbing the ball for a TI but while he was out he decided he wanted to treat himself to some Dencorub. I gestured to the teammate with the ball to pause and told the Dencorub player "don't come back on before asking me" and then gestured for the TI to be taken.

From a game control point of view no card was needed and in fact it would have made it difficult for me. But would have i been technically right to caution him.

The Referee Store
Unless this is very grass roots, then I would say yes. You would technically be good with a YC for LFOP but absolutely within your scope to deem it trifling and let play continue. Players may leave the field of play temporarily to retrieve the ball. They are also temporarily off the field for a throw in. These are both normal and necessary to get the ball back into play. Leaving the field without permission to return to the technical area for medical treatment (self applied) would warrant a YC if you wished. I would venture that unless this is a very high level match, or done in a manner of dissent (storming off, etc.) few would disagree with letting it play. Good catch telling him that he must wait for permission to re-enter.

Isn’t it an old fashioned type ruling this. It’s like something from public school times! I get why it’s there but it’s quite archaic.

I'd always argue that if you're not punishing him for leaving the field and you're aware of it, then you can say the permission given was implied on your part. A bit of game management basically, so you can let it slide.

But of course, absolutely caution him if he trots onto the pitch again without asking permission.

Reactions: one
What you can do, and what's best, are often different things. Technically it could fall under leaving w/o permission - as he only has an implied permission to get the ball. But you can also see why he wouldn't have thought he was doing anything wrong - he's already off the field, after all. So common sense refereeing - it's an act which most people there wouldn't recognise as a breach, has no impact on the game, is not done for any tactical gain or anything.....why card him?

Just tell him, as you did, to stay off until you provide permission - I'd even suggest to have a word. Doesn't have to be a harsh one.

tbh even if I was assessing I'd prefer to see you handle it as you did.

Agree with the others, I think you nailed the handling of this. A YC would have felt incredibly officious, but it was smart to make sure he didn't come charging back on and challenge for the ball immediately after the throw-in.

tbh even if I was assessing I'd prefer to see you handle it as you did.
Note for others who read this:

Assessors/Observers aren't always looking for you to be a stickler for the Laws... but proactive and practical refereeing are other things that are looked at carefully... and the scenario in the OP meets both of these categories nicely -- practical in not giving caution (implied permission), proactive in ensuring that he lets you know when re-entering to get permission.

Note for others who read this:

Assessors/Observers aren't always looking for you to be a stickler for the Laws... but proactive and practical refereeing are other things that are looked at carefully... and the scenario in the OP meets both of these categories nicely -- practical in not giving caution (implied permission), proactive in ensuring that he lets you know when re-entering to get permission.

Making it up as they go along then?? Cheers! :angel:

I've never penalised a referee for not cautioning when a player leaves the FOP, and I doubt I ever will unless it is so obvious and blatant it can't be avoided. On the contrary I once observed a L7 who cautioned a defender for going to get the ball after a shot had gone miles wide, his logic being that only the keeper can do that .... :( He was given suitable words of advice, including looking at the size and mobility of the keeper who would quite possibly have had a coronary running that far to get the ball. I've also seen referee caution when a player stepped off the FOP to grab a water bottle, and whilst I can't criticise them for that as it is supported by law it certainly isn't something I'd be recommending.

Get on with it. If it's done quickly and the throwin isn't delayed I wouldn't even bother making him stay off after a quick spray.

World Cup 1994 there were bottles all around the pitch, players would frequently 'leave' the field of play to grab a quick drink when the ball was out of play.

We thought about trolling the referees instead, but realised that you do more than enough for the rest of us ;-)

Horsecrap CB :hmmm:, We have very specific Laws, things we are supposed to do, and certain individuals, in positions of education and advancement who choose when and where they want to ignore stuff...... Can we have a full list of stuff they ignore please, whats involved in this list, dissent, VC, offsides..... who knows, they've already admitted to ignoring stuff of their own personal choosing!!! One ref doing it right, one ref doing it wrong, who actually knows!!!

Yawn, I already know you don't believe that with the fervour you pretend to. Not sure if you think you're playing devil's advocate.
I presume that if a player, clearly short of breath, ran off the field and grabbed an asthma puffer, you'd book them?

Yawn, I already know you don't believe that with the fervour you pretend to. Not sure if you think you're playing devil's advocate.
I presume that if a player, clearly short of breath, ran off the field and grabbed an asthma puffer, you'd book them?
I'm happily retired.... what does the LOTG say I should do??

Back