A&H

Leeds vs Man City

dylanbailey4444

Level 5 Referee
Stuart Atwell in the middle and not a single card yet. I am slightly surprised. I thought that there were quite a few tackles which could have been cautions. The commentator just said he doesn’t mind it as long as he’s consistent because he thought there should have been some cards. Anyone else watching?

The Referee Store
Stuart Atwell in the middle and not a single card yet. I am slightly surprised. I thought that there were quite a few tackles which could have been cautions. The commentator just said he doesn’t mind it as long as he’s consistent because he thought there should have been some cards. Anyone else watching?
First card just came out. Definitely a caution.

If this were grassroots I’d have been angling for a team PI for the constant fouls on Grealish, and probably one for Rodri too for PI.

I never feel that confident watching Atwell, he never seems that sure of his decisions. Think he plays bizarre ‘advantages’ in the defensive third as well

I watched it and Stuart Attwell was pretty much faultless. There were possible cautions that he didn't give, but I'm sure they have been told to avoid giving too many cards, and he was certainly consistent.

There is no doubt that this approach of letting more go and giving less cards is great for the spectacle and makes for much better games. Long may it continue.

I watched it and Stuart Attwell was pretty much faultless. There were possible cautions that he didn't give, but I'm sure they have been told to avoid giving too many cards, and he was certainly consistent.

There is no doubt that this approach of letting more go and giving less cards is great for the spectacle and makes for much better games. Long may it continue.
I agree. I think the way I worded the post criticised him but I didn’t mean it like that. He was consistent to be fair and I felt like he had been told to keep the cards in his pocket. Although, with some of those challenges, they had to come out at some point! I also think he gave a booking for a player touching him!

If this were grassroots I’d have been angling for a team PI for the constant fouls on Grealish, and probably one for Rodri too for PI.

I never feel that confident watching Atwell, he never seems that sure of his decisions. Think he plays bizarre ‘advantages’ in the defensive third as well
I get what you mean. Today, I thought he looked quite confident, especially when he got his flow in handing out cards towards the end of the game

Tbh I thought there was an off the ball shirt pull which allowed cancelo the space to break. Seen in the ground, maybe not on tv

I saw that incident too (I've got Cancelo in my FPL so wanted some points!). No one argued at all so I figured there was something off camera that was pretty clear cut.

Don't believe every bit of fan fiction that you read (or hear). Just had a look at the video and the free kick was clearly given for an obvious pull back by Haaland on Koch, not for anything Cancelo did.

It's not totally revealing of what's happening, but the still below shows the moment that Haaland grabs Koch by the wrist. As the video advances, it is clear that Koch is pulled to the ground by Haaland, which is what allows Cancelo to gain possession.

IMG_20221229_154407.jpg

Last edited:
Don't believe every bit of fan fiction that you read (or hear). Just had a look at the video and the free kick was clearly given for an obvious pull back by Haaland on Koch, not for anything Cancelo did.

It's not totally revealing of what's happening, but the still below shows the moment that Haaland grabs Koch by the wrist. As the video advances, it is clear that Koch is pulled to the ground by Haaland, which is what allows Cancelo to gain possession.

View attachment 6260
Yeah, not that obvious live.

Yeah, not that obvious live.
I didn't watch the game live but watching the video at normal speed and from the original camera angle, it was crystal clear that there was a foul by Haaland.

In fact the only thing that made it slightly unclear was the replay from a different angle (the same one as in the Twitter post) that didn't show the foul, just Cancelo latching onto the ball and running with it.

I thought Stuart Atwell had a great game. He got the mood of the game early on and rode with it. Couple of times I thought he got a GK/CK wrong but it happens. No complaints about the result. City were awesome, toying with a patchwork Leeds team. Haaland is a beast, Grealish is a fantastic player and I absolutely love Mahrez (have done since Leicester) as he does a quiet but effective job. As for my team, we're going to struggle for the rest of the season but I'm sure there's at least 5 worse teams this season this season. Atmosphere in the ground was subdued. My 11th game this season (best in the last 18 years).

You're definitely right about the atmosphere @Brian Hamilton, I hoped it would be bouncing like last year but it wasn't. Could/should have been 3 or 4 up at ht but predicted 1-3 pre match so I'm happy

I think this approach can work but there is nothing wrong with showing a yellow card in the first 20mins if there is a tackle or incident that's warrants it, it shows you got some sort of authority on the match and not afraid to show a yellow if its warrants it.

It's reminds me of the Robbie Savage and Howard Webb debate on when to show a yellow card and I could see both sides to it(both managing the game but to show consistency with the cards), just ashame Savage was being an idiot by interrupting Webb which kinda overshadowed a fair point he was making.

I think this approach can work but there is nothing wrong with showing a yellow card in the first 20mins if there is a tackle or incident that's warrants it, it shows you got some sort of authority on the match and not afraid to show a yellow if its warrants it.

It's reminds me of the Robbie Savage and Howard Webb debate on when to show a yellow card and I could see both sides to it(both managing the game but to show consistency with the cards), just ashame Savage was being an idiot by interrupting Webb which kinda overshadowed a fair point he was making.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't advocate taking that approach at grass roots level, or even supply / contrib. But the Premier League is a different animal, and being lenient on potential cautions is a lot less likely to cause match control issues as it could at lower levels.

You're definitely right about the atmosphere @Brian Hamilton, I hoped it would be bouncing like last year but it wasn't. Could/should have been 3 or 4 up at ht but predicted 1-3 pre match so I'm happy
I also predicted 1-3. Thought we'd get an early goal then have to endure an onslaught. Instead we were just passed to pieces and shot ourselves in the foot with the second goal. Guardiola plays football the Bielsa way with players Bielsa could only dream of having at his disposal. Great night. Just bought a ticket for my first away game in 18 years. Heading to Cardiff in the FA Cup :)

I also predicted 1-3. Thought we'd get an early goal then have to endure an onslaught. Instead we were just passed to pieces and shot ourselves in the foot with the second goal. Guardiola plays football the Bielsa way with players Bielsa could only dream of having at his disposal. Great night. Just bought a ticket for my first away game in 18 years. Heading to Cardiff in the FA Cup 

Stay safe!

Back