A&H

Liar

Athers

Level 5 Referee
Interesting one as an AR pre-season and be good to get some views on it. Temperature of the game fairly hot throughout, ref was late to the game, had some history with both clubs. As the senior AR, I'd been ready to take over the middle had he not showed up so had already talked to the teams and got a sense of the local rivalry etc. Long story short, had constant blether from the technical area all match doing the benchside line. My tolerance level is usually good but at half-time, I told the ref I wanted some protection as it was getting a bit silly. Ended up being called a liar very loudly by a player - the ref sent him off. I guess it's the same as 'cheat' which no-one would allow I'd hope? No handshakes from the player at the end - very petty - and the accusation was loudly repeated. Being pre-season, I doubt a report went in but...should it have done, and would be a misconduct report, or just writing up the red? I've got the same team in a couple of weeks and wonder if any of it will linger on and affect things?

The Referee Store
Agreed - and never liked that pre-season/ let things slide business. But just report the red for OFFINABUS, or the continued nonsense after the final whistle where the allegation was repeated and the crap around the handshake etc. Would that be worthy of a misconduct write up? Not losing sleep on it, but interested in case similar happens when I'm in the middle.

Agreed - and never liked that pre-season/ let things slide business. But just report the red for OFFINABUS, or the continued nonsense after the final whistle where the allegation was repeated and the crap around the handshake etc. Would that be worthy of a misconduct write up? Not losing sleep on it, but interested in case similar happens when I'm in the middle.
The red card is a standard sending off report. If you believe there was misconduct after the final whistle that is an extraordinary incident report. Not shaking hands doesn't tick that box, but repeating the comment he was sent off for potentially does.

Have you reported it (as the victim and main witness)?

Can you not submit a WGS report as the A/R?

If the referee "forgets" to do his report he will look a bit stupid.
not sure - never been clear on that. I don't usually do WGS as an AR as assume the ref will be doing it. We did chat afterwards and he seemed content to leave it. Not a huge issue, just curious about if others had faced similar as an AR.

I've got the same team in a couple of weeks and wonder if any of it will linger on and affect things?
As you’ve described it, it sounds quite tame. I doubt there will be any ‘fallout’ when you encounter that team again soon. If there is, that’s their own making. If anything, they’ll learn that if they gob off… there will be repercussions. They know where your colleague set the bar, now it’s up to you on your next game whether to adjust it.

With another couple of matches in their legs and brains, doubt they even remember.

not sure - never been clear on that. I don't usually do WGS as an AR as assume the ref will be doing it. We did chat afterwards and he seemed content to leave it. Not a huge issue, just curious about if others had faced similar as an AR.
If the ref shows red he has to put it through.

He cannot just decide that after a chat with you he's not going to bother.

"Last week's ref".

If the ref shows red he has to put it through.

He cannot just decide that after a chat with you he's not going to bother.

"Last week's ref".
Hate this phrase people using it don’t help refs learn at all I saw someone told off for criticism on another post well if that’s not ok how can posts like this be.

Hate this phrase people using it don’t help refs learn at all I saw someone told off for criticism on another post well if that’s not ok how can posts like this be.
The implied learning suggestion is [don't be] last weeks ref.

The phrase exists because it's something players shout at you when you choose to apply the laws. Sometimes it's nonsense, but sometimes it truly is the effect of last weeks ref choosing not to do their job properly.

"Last weeks ref didn't put cards through" - don't be last weeks ref, do your admin properly. And you'll make life easier for "next weeks ref" if they try and do things properly.

When people say "last week's ref" they don't mean about decisions made on the pitch, clubs aren't going to say "you gave a penalty and last week's ref didn't". Well some might, but not really my point.

When they come up to you and beg you not to put a caution in, they will absolutely say "last week's ref agreed to not do it". When they come up arguing after you've called a game off for a dangerous pitch they will definitely say "last week's referee was OK to play on it".

To give a real life example, there was a supply league club near me who played their first two home games of the season. For the third game the referee refused to play as there were huge cracks in the pitch and he said it was dangerous. As a local L3 who had come off that supply league I got asked to go and have a look at if, I did and there was no doubt the 3rd referee was absolutely correct, there was no way it should have been played on. And of course, that 3rd referee got "the last two referees were fine with it, what's wrong with you". Those first two referees then had very difficult conversations with the appointments officer, and the ground was banned from being used for months until they fixed it. Letting things slide for an easy life might seem the right thing to do at the time, but it just passes the buck to one of your colleagues who then have to deliver the bad news.

The implied learning suggestion is [don't be] last weeks ref.

The phrase exists because it's something players shout at you when you choose to apply the laws. Sometimes it's nonsense, but sometimes it truly is the effect of last weeks ref choosing not to do their job properly.

"Last weeks ref didn't put cards through" - don't be last weeks ref, do your admin properly. And you'll make life easier for "next weeks ref" if they try and do things properly.
Don’t agree with its use on a forum like this and will call out what I see as demeaning other referees I work in a profession where I don’t always agree with peoples practices however I wouldn’t publicly demean them I’m the same as a referee.

Don’t agree with its use on a forum like this and will call out what I see as demeaning other referees I work in a profession where I don’t always agree with peoples practices however I wouldn’t publicly demean them I’m the same as a referee.
Any referee not putting in a caution or a sending off is fair game for getting criticised as far as I am concerned.

I quite often get told I'm the first referee this season to insist their earing must be removed, it cant be taped up.

That might not be true, but I see referees not bothering to check jewellery all the time. I saw a referee today wearing jewellery himself.

So it's definitely the case that my job is made more difficult because some referees do not apply laws correctly - even laws which pertain to player safety. Those referees are who we mean when we say "last week's ref" and they deserve everything they get.

Well, that escalated. :) In the end, I was taken off the match through illness so will never know if the numpty who called me a liar still believes this. And not seen the original ref since but hope he's putting his cards through now. cheers all

Back