Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Middle Referee

Votes: 30 62.5%

• Total voters

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Simple question which is easier?

Not be be confused with which one you prefer!

Someone earlier posed the question....

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Obviously line is easier, purely by numbers - as an AR, you sometimes only have to make 1 or 2 significant decisions in a half, as a ref that's probably double figures on a quiet day. But I'd still much rather do the middle - partly because it's more interesting, and partly because some of the worst days I've had as a ref have been when I'm on the line and have been hung out to dry by the ref. It's just not in your control and I can't say I enjoy that.

Line every time. Line is harder, total concentrating needed, can be on ball for 90 mins then boom, you lost the line
Your position is also dictated by the defenders, not you
And no matter what anyone says, on line, your just a gimp for the ref
Try being in hotel hours before kick off when everything is, ref this, ref that,from the waiter to the match delegate to the chauffer.
your also stuck with the full back(s) per half, nowhere to go
And, you are the special sock for everything, first question asked in a debrief of the ref, is, oh, could the AR have helped?

ref you can dictate the pace of the game, you can spin round 360 degree, you have all the players to engage with, and in reality, you are the main man and what you say goes........ "doing nothing", brain gets fried then whoosh, your starting back into action from cold...
you might only have 1/2 big calls to make on the line, but, you simply have to get them, 1st min, last min, or the rest of your game is gone. No recovery.

Last edited:
I agree with @GraemeS here, as an assistant you will most probably have few "quieter" moments where nothing happens, and as a ref you really don't. Also at least I seem to run little less when on the line.

I don't think it is possible to say. On the line you have less to do, but when you are called into action the decisions are often harder and, especially in the case of offside but also ball crossing the line, more black and white. You are right or wrong, no middle ground, and can't hide behind in the opinion of the referee like the man in the middle can.

I can't say I enjoy that.

Also sucks when you're on the line and the referee is having a bad day. Can't really do much to help in those situations.

Anyway I agree with @GraemeS though, I prefer middles more now as I'm older. When I was younger and starting out I didn't mind where I went.

That must get quote of the month award surely!!!

Sorry its the best description I could think of, and on reflection, its perfect. I might start using it on my games...."welcome to my show gimps..." upon meeting my ARs...
No sure it tops my "whilst she gets her shopping list out" on the DOGSO/Wrong person sent off, one yesterday, but, must be close...

Back to topic but when you know stories of refs getting their ARs to carry their kit bags out of the car and, another who demanded that when walking about places, he was in the middle, with the other 2 by his side...you do start to question your purpose...

Back to topic but when you know stories of refs getting their ARs to carry their kit bags out of the car and, another who demanded that when walking about places, he was in the middle, with the other 2 by his side...you do start to question your purpose...
Good job I didn't "assist" them....if I had it would be with my boot....

Tough comparison. On the whole AR is easier because ref has more responsibility. But AR is more mentally draining. Long periods of concentration and all your primary tasks are factual decisions. You are expected to be the backup for referee decisions (if ref misses a close one you should help him). But refs are not expected call any close offside positions or close ball in/outs so you don't have any back up.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but to give it some context. As a player or manager, would you rather have an excellent ref and two average ARs, or one average ref and two excellent ARs?

For me, it's a no-brainer.

At the level I "line" at, I'm expected to flag free kicks, throw-ins, goal kicks, corner kicks, offside, etc. I'm pretty much expected to do everything that the ref in the middle does (in case he misses it) yet have no whistle and no cards. That's why I'm called the "assistant referee" rather than just the "linesman". ;) Hell, I even get paid less than the guy in the middle.

No, being in the middle, for me, is always easier - especially if I've got a decent lino. ;) :p

Would also add, being in the middle is much harder if you have no NARs - expected to be able to be in a perfect position to call everything, which is just impossible

Back