A&H

Liverpool vs West Brom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Penalty given to Liverpool after VAR review by referee Craig Pawson having seen the incident himself on a TV screen by the tunnel, West Brom players still not happy with decision. Salah made a meal of it, but he was pulled back. Defenders just don't learn. After a long delay, Firmino hit the bar with the penalty.

West Brom's 3rd goal allowed to stand just before half time after another VAR review.

The Referee Store
Seems to be a divisive topic for the fans and pundits from what I've seen on the BBC and Reddit.

I saw someone suggest teams should have two reviews sort of similar to how it is done in Tennis. I have no idea how that would even work?

Absolute farcical game.

3 minutes plus for the penalty decision, 2 minutes for the disallowed goal......yet only 4 minutes additional time shown......with 2 subs as well......

Then the ridiculous consultation over the 3rd WBA goal......the AR never flagged so the decision was 100% before the consultation.......so are we going to see VAR for every decision that is potentially match changing? Just so the referee can cover their arse?

The penalty.....Pawson had already signalled a goal kick......and was moving away until the Liverpool players appealed for the VAR....something which they are not supposed to be able to do? So, Pawson concedes to their demands and consults the VAR......for nearly 4 minutes.......before reversing his goal kick decision and awarding a penalty.
So now we will see players appealing for VAR at every "contentious" decision.......and you can bet your bottom dollar that the PGMOL referees will go with it because can you imagine the backlash if they didn't and it turned out to be the wrong decision?

Absolutely destroying the game....needs to get shelved ASAP, before football just turns into the UK equivalent of American Football.......a 90 minute game taking 2 hrs to complete.......but then again, they are obviously not adding the time on correctly, so it will just be a 90 minute game with 70 minutes of actual football and 20 minutes of people staring at screens and sticking their fingers on an earpiece.

Of course, it allows the referee to completely shirk any responsibility for making a tough call, because they can just go the VAR and use it to get out of jail.

Pathetic.

The right decision was made and obviously getting the KMIs correct is important, but nearly 4 minutes for the penalty decision seems a ridiculously long time and no matter how many times I have seen it in various leagues, watching the match referee run to the side of the pitch seems very wrong.

Last edited:
Refereeing has survived intact for nearly 160 years in various forms, TV and VAR is slowly killing it in demanding to be involved far too much. Football is a pretty simple game where the joy of scoring a goal, the agony of conceding one is being slowly sucked out of the game. Players and officials aren't perfect or else it would be robots out there. Pawson may as well be in the stand watching a monitor for the use hes been so far,
It should also be a mandatory yellow card for a player to ask for the VAR too....

Last edited:
Absolute farcical game.

3 minutes plus for the penalty decision, 2 minutes for the disallowed goal......yet only 4 minutes additional time shown......with 2 subs as well......

Then the ridiculous consultation over the 3rd WBA goal......the AR never flagged so the decision was 100% before the consultation.......so are we going to see VAR for every decision that is potentially match changing? Just so the referee can cover their arse?

The penalty.....Pawson had already signalled a goal kick......and was moving away until the Liverpool players appealed for the VAR....something which they are not supposed to be able to do? So, Pawson concedes to their demands and consults the VAR......for nearly 4 minutes.......before reversing his goal kick decision and awarding a penalty.
So now we will see players appealing for VAR at every "contentious" decision.......and you can bet your bottom dollar that the PGMOL referees will go with it because can you imagine the backlash if they didn't and it turned out to be the wrong decision?

Absolutely destroying the game....needs to get shelved ASAP, before football just turns into the UK equivalent of American Football.......a 90 minute game taking 2 hrs to complete.......but then again, they are obviously not adding the time on correctly, so it will just be a 90 minute game with 70 minutes of actual football and 20 minutes of people staring at screens and sticking their fingers on an earpiece.

Of course, it allows the referee to completely shirk any responsibility for making a tough call, because they can just go the VAR and use it to get out of jail.

Pathetic.
As far as I know all goals are being checked. Period. So it wasnt a needless check it was required.

Also referees cant request review. The VAR can only highlight a potential error for them to look at again so you can ask all night long the reg has to be alerted by var. Again that is just my understanding.

That being said how were west brom players complaining after the review. Stonewaller.

Hate this process though and agree with much of your sentiment.

Also referees cant request review. The VAR can only highlight a potential error for them to look at again so you can ask all night long the reg has to be alerted by var. Again that is just my understanding.
I am pretty sure referee is the only person who can request/initiate a review. All other officials can only suggest it but the referee can decline the review and say I am happy with my original call (or initiate one).

I am pretty sure referee is the only person who can request/initiate a review. All other officials can only suggest it but the referee can decline the review and say I am happy with my original call (or initiate one).
Fair enough. Maybe I have an idea then ;)

Reactions: one
Sorry do we really have referees amongst us who are not fussed either way as to whether they make the right decision or not!?

Note to any site moderator who may be reading, someone reigniting the flames of a closed thread is clearly just on here to cause a fuss inbetween their next carer visit

Sorry do we really have referees amongst us who are not fussed either way as to whether they make the right decision or not!?
No less fussed than those who are not fussed about taking the game to the point of possible irreparable damage in the name of 'getting the decision right'. Every referee wants to get all the decisions correct, but not at the cost of destroying the game.

This format of VAR may be giving us a higher percentage of correct decisions but will drive fans away. A price too high to pay. FIFA/IFAB must find a better way.

Each to own, as ever. When I go out to officiate, or watch a game, I want the correct calls to be made. I care not if (ideally) the referee gets the call, or he gets direction from AR, 4th, or in this case, a man in a truck.
If we are going to sit through 8 week class, countless mentors, monthly meetings, endless practise clips and so on, the least we can expect is to make the correct call at our game. Fans? Nobody cares. (for now, as things stand)
Tv and sponsors call the shots and wait till (i think is as in Australia) Mcdonalds sponsor the var delay break.
I wish fans mattered. Of course, I am one too. Regardless though of whether I go to Ibrox next week or not, the game goes ahead...

Each to own, as ever. When I go out to officiate, or watch a game, I want the correct calls to be made. I care not if (ideally) the referee gets the call, or he gets direction from AR, 4th, or in this case, a man in a truck.
If we are going to sit through 8 week class, countless mentors, monthly meetings, endless practise clips and so on, the least we can expect is to make the correct call at our game. Fans? Nobody cares. (for now, as things stand)
Tv and sponsors call the shots and wait till (i think is as in Australia) Mcdonalds sponsor the var delay break.
I wish fans mattered. Of course, I am one too. Regardless though of whether I go to Ibrox next week or not, the game goes ahead...
If its each to their own and the rest of your post, then it is unfair to criticise those against VAR by saying they are not fussed with getting the right decision. It shows a lack of understanding of their argument.

Here is another example of VAR in A-league. The challenge was originally resulted in a yellow card to the astonishment of some orange players and most fans.
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/28/brama-awaits-fate-x-rated-tackle-gameiro

I can't see how it could have ever been anything but red. Clearly the referee has seen it (and the AR too). I can only speculate but i think the referee relied on review to change his decision and its less controversial to change a yellow to red than a red to yellow. Yes the correct decision was made after a few minutes of deliberation but the whole process left the fans and players very frustrated.

Last edited:

You are a fraud.

"I want the correct calls to be made". You are probably the guy in my gym who reports other members for lifting too heavy or making a small grunt.

If the game could referee itself by some sort of magic and every call be correct in normal decision making time by a referee, then brilliant. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I'm a firm believer that those who are behind VAR in its current format are people who aren't emotionally invested in the game as a player, coach or "football loving" referee. It's smacks of the "everyone's a winner generation" or "everything has to be correct". I mean, you want every decision to be correct and as a result fundamentally changing the game so every decision can be correct in a game that you've ruined by bringing in VAR as we've seen? Why not just create a new sport and make up your own rules? And then you have the fans. The spotty teenagers who say "but if you don't want VAR, what if your team concedes a "wrongly" called penalty and you get relegated". Well my friend, football and league positions are a result of thousands of tiny small decisions and incidents that can affect the outcome. What's that, oh, you want VAR because you think it's going to help your team? Ridiculous. If you get relegated because of a 'bad call", I'd first look at what put you in that position in the first place.

As a player, I've been on the end of a harsh decision, sometimes it costs you, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it ignites a fire and you rally and make up for it, other times you lose a game, other times you get out with a draw thinking "we got lucky there lads". It's football, it's life. And actually, I have a feeling the really strong advocates of VAR are the Twitter nerds who don't actually go to games and want every decision to be correct because they feel that their team is always getting dodgy calls. You know, I've been to games where the fans are absolutely mental, sometimes the decision is correct, sometimes not, they shout and boo, then two hours after the game it's forgotten. What happens when you're striker misses a golden chance which he should have scored that costs you the FA Cup? Should you bring the game back or put robots on the pitch. This isn't a computer game, and that's what makes it great.

As it stands, most pundits are very weary about saying anything negative. Good on Pardew and Howe for calling it out. Good on Shearer. I've seen a number of low profile pro players on Twitter say it's no good, like Hogan Ephraim and Josh Windass and a lad who plays for Notts Forest.

Pick VAR up and stick in a bin. Bring in officials behind the goal, make the fourth official a little more involved. And if you feel you get a bad decision against you, you are allowed to react, you are allowed to moan within reason and then you move on. If the decision is wrong and it's acceptable which the majority are, then there is no issue. If it's a glaring error by the ref then it needs to be addressed by the relevant body.

VAR in it's correct format makes the game much much worse at the expense of potentially getting the odd decision correct.

If refeering is not about right or wrong decisons then its pointless any of us packing our kitbag this afternoon far less claiming a match fee. (From a club who rely on you to make the right calls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back