A&H

LOTG Exam Phrasing

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
What do people think of the LOTG exams in general?

I've just done one for the 6-5 promotion and I have to say that once again, I struggled to decipher the wording of some of the questions more than I struggled to recall the applicable law. With 3 possible multiple choice options, it can't be easy to write nuanced questions (especially when the question often has to include the words careless/reckless/with excessive force and the 3 options are DFK, DFK+YC and DFK+RC!), but at the end of the day, I'd rather just be asked straightforward but "difficult" questions, rather than ones that try and hide the correct answer in wordplay.

Without wanting to go into too specific details, one question today appeared to hinge on the question of if an assistant "must", "may" or "shouldn't" involve themselves in the placement of a wall for a DFK, while another required quite a few re-reads to clarify if a replacement goalkeeper had come on as a sub or simply swapped with an outfield player - I knew what the appropriate action was in each situation, but in the writer's efforts to not make the answer too obvious, I thought the phrasing could have been interpreted either way.

Does anyone else recall having similar issues with these tests in general, or is it just the way my slightly tired brain was reading the questions tonight?

The Referee Store
They shouldn't really provide an issue. There are only a few silly trick questions and the rest are pretty simply. There's enough very simply ones to get a pass. An AR may get involved in the placement on a wall, they aren't forced to or forced not to though.

I don't feel like it was enough of an issue to cause me to fail, but it just felt a bit off. I didn't realise that being able to solve riddles was a part of being a referee!

Think yourself lucky, these are on the LOTG.

At L3, there use to be a test on the different league rules (as you could referee in various league at Contrib). So the test was on such as:
  • time you had to at the venue;
  • time timesheets handed in and whether together;
  • kick-off times etc

Back