A&H

Make the Forum Rules easier to find

FinalWhistle

Armchair Referee
As a new user here, I wanted to familiarise myself with the forum rules so that I don't accidentally put my foot in it.

As a fellow forum owner running the same XenForo software, something jumped out at me when I looked for the forum rules. Clicking the Terms and Rules link at the bottom of every page just takes you to the boilerplate Terms and Rules that come with XenForo. I knew that there had to be a specific set of rules somewhere, so had a browse and found them here:

Having to hunt for them means that finding them isn't clear and obvious to any random user, many of whom can be quite technologically challenged. Hence, I suggest making another entry under Help in the Terms and Rules section called Forum Rules that links to the above thread. This will help to prevent members from unintentionally breaking the rules through ignorance and make the moderators' lives easier with less work to do. Waddya think?

The Referee Store
As a new user here, I wanted to familiarise myself with the forum rules so that I don't accidentally put my foot in it.

As a fellow forum owner running the same XenForo software, something jumped out at me when I looked for the forum rules. Clicking the Terms and Rules link at the bottom of every page just takes you to the boilerplate Terms and Rules that come with XenForo. I knew that there had to be a specific set of rules somewhere, so had a browse and found them here:

Having to hunt for them means that finding them isn't clear and obvious to any random user, many of whom can be quite technologically challenged. Hence, I suggest making another entry under Help in the Terms and Rules section called Forum Rules that links to the above thread. This will help to prevent members from unintentionally breaking the rules through ignorance and make the moderators' lives easier with less work to do. Waddya think?
90% is common sense 10% is understanding the Mods.

Thanks for the suggestion. How do you think we can make them easier to find though? We can't change what the Terms and Rules link points at as that is for the hosting software rather than our forum. And the rules are a pinned post in the Announcements section.

Generally interested in any suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion. How do you think we can make them easier to find though? We can't change what the Terms and Rules link points at as that is for the hosting software rather than our forum. And the rules are a pinned post in the Announcements section.

Can you pin a post?

Make a post that is just the rules, pin it and lock it out before people start debating Zidane's headbutt in 2006 is the younger generation being too soft in the comments.

Can you pin a post?

Make a post that is just the rules, pin it and lock it out before people start debating Zidane's headbutt in 2006 is the younger generation being too soft in the comments.
That's exactly what we have done. It is a post that is just the rules, it is pinned, it is flagged as important, and it is locked.

Yer welcome, RR.

You can actually add it in the styles / templates to the menu. I've done it on my forum in the Help section, for an example. This way you don't change the Terms and Rules link, but add another for Forum Rules like I've done (no limit to how many menu items you can add). When clicking on Forum Rules, ignore the wrong-looking blue colour appearing randomly, that's a weird HTML glitch that I've not gotten round to fixing yet.

You can also add a Forum Rules link to the template so that it appears at the bottom of every page, even easier to find.

Yer welcome, RR.

You can actually add it in the styles / templates to the menu. I've done it on my forum in the Help section, for an example. This way you don't change the Terms and Rules link, but add another for Forum Rules like I've done (no limit to how many menu items you can add). When clicking on Forum Rules, ignore the wrong-looking blue colour appearing randomly, that's a weird HTML glitch that I've not gotten round to fixing yet.

You can also add a Forum Rules link to the template so that it appears at the bottom of every page, even easier to find.
Thanks @FinalWhistle

Tagging @Ross as this is far more his bag than mine.

Back