A&H

Man C v Wolves (another VAR offside decision)

Whoa there - thought we decided a long time ago that with VAR there ARE different rules for VAR and non VAR games.

In this exact thread, as someone claims, there is no 'level' in VAR land, when I have the flag, I am surprising good at calling an attacker 'level' ;)

On a general more serious point, myself and others have been 'called out' many times for pointing out laws and interpretations that are different at the top to grassroots, to use that as a reason for not tweaking with VAR, just doesn't wash with me.
I don't know "level" is a different rule, so much as different precision. Level really means that it isn't possible to distinguish who is closer to the goal line. That's a lot easier to be precise about with VAR (for better or worse) than live eyes. But its also true that the precision on that varies by the AR. I'm going to be able to discern distinctions that a newbie cannot; and a top flight AR is going to be able to discern distinctions I cannot. VAR is more about degree of that difference than the existence of a difference. (But that doesn't defeat your point that we could have different actual rules that apply when VAR is in place--especially when it is things that really fall within the margin of error in non-VAR games. I'd still rather just dump VAR, but that's not going to happen.)

The Referee Store
I don't know "level" is a different rule, so much as different precision. Level really means that it isn't possible to distinguish who is closer to the goal line. That's a lot easier to be precise about with VAR (for better or worse) than live eyes. But its also true that the precision on that varies by the AR. I'm going to be able to discern distinctions that a newbie cannot; and a top flight AR is going to be able to discern distinctions I cannot. VAR is more about degree of that difference than the existence of a difference. (But that doesn't defeat your point that we could have different actual rules that apply when VAR is in place--especially when it is things that really fall within the margin of error in non-VAR games. I'd still rather just dump VAR, but that's not going to happen.)
As you will have gathered, totally agree with that last sentence!

Reactions: es1
Whoa there - thought we decided a long time ago that with VAR there ARE different rules for VAR and non VAR games.

In this exact thread, as someone claims, there is no 'level' in VAR land, when I have the flag, I am surprising good at calling an attacker 'level' ;)

On a general more serious point, myself and others have been 'called out' many times for pointing out laws and interpretations that are different at the top to grassroots, to use that as a reason for not tweaking with VAR, just doesn't wash with me.
But as with my previous response to @bloovee , what you're talking about are different interpretations of a law that remains the same in writing.

Bringing GPS (or some other more accurate) tech in would require you to pick a set point on the body and draw the line from there ever time - which is literally changing the definition of what is and isn't offside. Those are different things - one of which I think can be quietly looked the other way, while the other is I think less palatable to FIFA.

But as with my previous response to @bloovee , what you're talking about are different interpretations of a law that remains the same in writing.

Bringing GPS (or some other more accurate) tech in would require you to pick a set point on the body and draw the line from there ever time - which is literally changing the definition of what is and isn't offside. Those are different things - one of which I think can be quietly looked the other way, while the other is I think less palatable to FIFA.

Thinking about it, the change is even more radical, depending on where the monitor goes (assuming precision can actually be accomplished--about which I remain dubious). If the monitor is on a player's back, then the attacker can be appreciably ahead of where he could be today and still be on. Conversely, if the monitor is on the player's front, what is level today would become OSP. (When players are facing opposing directions as often occurs when crossing the defensive line.)

I don't think the Game is anywhere close to being willing to make this radical of a change.

If by 'different interpretations', you mean 'ignore completly' then I agree with you :rolleyes:

Back