A&H

Mass Confrontation

Would you like regular clips for discussion on this site?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

micky2001

I uploaded a clip yesterday for discussion. If this seems to be liked, I would consider trying to find a few more clips and post them weekly to encourage debate and experience from other members.

Use the vote to let me know if it's something you would be interested in. If @Ross has any objections or comments etc I'll be more than happy to listen.

Two clips of the same event but from different angles. For discussion -
1) Actions of the Ref and ARs in dealing with the incident e.g. reactions, positioning, range of vision, dealing with cards, dealing with other players
2) Agreement or not of the sanctions given
3) Any other points you wish to make about the incident

Last edited:
The Referee Store
i thought red 2 and GK should also have walked. maybe he should have waited till things calmed down before issuing cards. but it seemed to have worked

My only concern would be the way he dived in and laid hands on players. He could quite easily have received a whack for his troubles. Getting that close up prevents seeing the chaos on the periphery.

The keeper should have walked too. The chap that was walked didn't do much other than challenge then get wrestled. The keeper kept at it throughout.

Yeah, I'm not convinced by a lot of that. The attacker that got sent off seemed to be going for the ball and maybe should have seen yellow for that, but I don't think the challenge was worth straight red on it's own and don't think I saw anything he did after the challenge that would cause that to be upgraded. Agree with Pankae that it seemed to be the OTT reaction of the defender and later the GK that caused it to flare up, at least one of them should have gone, probably both.

Also, that's a lot of faith the referee showed in his assistants to pick up on anything worthy of further sanctions after he gets the attacker to one side to send him off. His back is turned to a still ongoing confrontation when he shows red and the attacker's reluctance to go means the referee spends quite a few seconds not looking at the fight as it happens. Anything could have happened at that moment and he would have been wasting an angle by literally looking the other way.

From the angles there, I don't think the attacker does a lot wrong, the ball has been crossed and he's running forward to meet it. The keeper should be expecting a challenge in that area. Now, judging by the red's reaction, something must have happened that I can't see on my phone. It's either that or he's a bit of a firecracker.

Personally, that's not how I'd have got involved in a Mass-con but it seemed to work for him and the assistant on this occasion. He tried to take control of this situation, which isn't always easy. The incident was over quite quickly so that's obviously a good thing. Was the red justified for the attacker? I don't think so, not just from that challenge so I'm going to guess that I've missed something on the video because the referee has seen/heard something that I haven't. Keeper reacts and grabs the player by the throat. He could have easily walked.

I'd have definitely booked the instigator - the defender. His actions was the flame to the fuel.

It's not a textbook way of dealing with it, but it worked on this occasion.

It's difficult to see but I think that the attacker kicks out at the keeper when they are both on the ground so should definitely have been shown a red. Keeper and defender 2 could also quite justifiably seen red.

That's just it, we have a couple of angles and can't be sure what we have seen, I can't believe the ref had a better view. The attacker appears to have been sent off for the keepers reaction rather than anything he may or may not have done. But without seeing his report who knows. The keeper should have walked regardless- grabbing anyone by the throat is VC in anyone's book.

I'm surprised how quick he was to show a red when so much was still going on.

For me gk was the one who needed to have action taken against

Unsure on the initial red, but if he walks the White striker, he has to level it with at least one Red. Keeper seems the obvious one, he had completely lost the plot.

Did the Red keeper throw a half hearted head but or spit during phase 2?

Back