A&H

Match brawl

Verbal abuse is safeguarding I agree. Swearing isn’t. Just as swearing during a match isnt a straight forward dismissal. In the scenario from this thread we don’t even know what was said in what time or context. If we think every swear word to a child is a safeguarding concern then the safeguarding teams will be working around the clock
We agree, largely, then.
As I said in my earlier post, swearing in front of, no issue.
Swearing at, as in directed at, almost certainly is, and is at .minimum report worthy.

I can't emphasise the "at" enough in my post here.

The Referee Store
We agree, largely, then.
As I said in my earlier post, swearing in front of, no issue.
Swearing at, as in directed at, almost certainly is, and is at .minimum report worthy.

I can't emphasise the "at" enough in my post here.
Even at someone 16+ or 14+ if playing OA yes it’s allowed would be grey area in the safeguarding teams mind given the laws.

I covered my own backside and reported what I saw. Let the powers of be decide if that is enough to take further or is not relevant.
Exactly what needs to happen. Where safeguarding falls down is when people assume that it's a one off, so don't report it. What then happens is the pattern of behaviour is missed. This has been the failing in many of the most prominent social care incidents. The policy in schools is that you log and report everything.

It’s wrong, inappropriate and certainly misconduct. But I’m sorry it isn’t safeguarding. Safeguarding us about keeping the children safe in the main, it could be at the younger age groups but not at a 17 year old. There is a difference between safeguarding and misconduct. Don’t suppose we’ll agree on this well know we won’t, just differing opinions
Culturally we all know that swearing at football happens, and there is a difference between swearing at a 9 yo and a 17 yo. Safeguarding is a policy though, and like legislation doesn't draw a distinction between age groups but focuses on adults and children.

So, also like the law, where the age difference does come in will be in relation to any action taken. The offence is made out regardless, but the reaction/sanction may differ depending on the circumstances and context.

Schools log everything safeguarding related due to their statutory duty to do so under ‘working together to safeguard children’ and ‘keeping children safe in education’. From a referee perspective we follow the laws and child protection guidelines issued by various county Fa’s. I’m not swaying away that but still maintain swearing to a child is not an automatic safeguarding concern. Question then, u18 match, 17 year old has an awful game, he comes off and coach says, Johnny you were **** in that first half. Do you seriously believe that is a reportable safeguarding concern?

Schools log everything safeguarding related due to their statutory duty to do so under ‘working together to safeguard children’ and ‘keeping children safe in education’. From a referee perspective we follow the laws and child protection guidelines issued by various county Fa’s. I’m not swaying away that but still maintain swearing to a child is not an automatic safeguarding concern. Question then, u18 match, 17 year old has an awful game, he comes off and coach says, Johnny you were **** in that first half. Do you seriously believe that is a reportable safeguarding concern?
Yes because what we allow ourselves to do in public is a tuned down version of what we do in private. You don’t know he goes into the changing room after and starts calling kids useless w*nkers. A sign is a sign that’s worth a report because even if 100 are nothing, it’s better than the rampant abuse that football had at youth level for decades until it was exposed in the last few years.

When a losing team scores a goal, it is always a flash point. It helps to be alert to this (I'm sure you will be in the future) and make sure that you get close to it as soon as possible, blowing the whistle and shouting at the team who just scored to leave the ball and get back to their half. Then you can usher the ball quickly to the centre point for a kick off. Here is a self-congratulatory example of that from a match that I refereed recently:

Back