A&H

Match called off during pens?

The Referee Store
What needs to be done…?

Well, we don’t know if the ref briefed the AR about the GKs… but I thought 3 of those saves were outrageous. Starting with the second pen I’d want to flag. Maybe if more pens were scored the atmosphere might have been different.

Otherwise you can’t control that kind of behaviour sadly.

Well, we don’t know if the ref briefed the AR about the GKs… but I thought 3 of those saves were outrageous. Starting with the second pen I’d want to flag. Maybe if more pens were scored the atmosphere might have been different.
Yeah, the AR here looks young so not to say that means he's out of his depth but seems pretty clear he didn't know the rule about GK having to stay on the line until the ball is hit. Also clearly he wasn't briefed by the CR.

Otherwise you can’t control that kind of behaviour sadly.
I totally understand this. One question I do have about potentially avoiding this scuffle breaking out is what is the responsibility/positioning of the 4th Official during penalties? Are they in the center circle between the 2 teams? Honestly asking because I have no idea but if they were present and commanded the area well, it might have stopped the teams from getting into it.

Can almost guarantee 2 things.

1) the referee probably set a parameter that these offences fell within. Often referees will say is has to be shockingly bad, and often use the phrase "6 yard line" 🤬

2) had the AR called these offences the same ppl moaning on twitter would be saying the 'linonwas busy'.

As for the bust up, we're done, going home. Let the FA and competition sort it out.

Players fighting..spectators on fighting. There is no promise that situation can be brought under and then remain under control.

The only other way I can see a resolution is to suspend the penalty shootout, have spectators removed from the ground and come back out for pens.

Yeah, the AR here looks young so not to say that means he's out of his depth but seems pretty clear he didn't know the rule about GK having to stay on the line until the ball is hit. Also clearly he wasn't briefed by the CR.

I totally understand this. One question I do have about potentially avoiding this scuffle breaking out is what is the responsibility/positioning of the 4th Official during penalties? Are they in the center circle between the 2 teams? Honestly asking because I have no idea but if they were present and commanded the area well, it might have stopped the teams from getting into it.
Only the top few levels in England have a 4th official. Usual approach is one AR to act as goal judge/possibly keeper movement judge, the other to be in the centre circle managing the players and sending the next kicker to the penalty area, including recording the numbers of the takers.

Only the top few levels in England have a 4th official. Usual approach is one AR to act as goal judge/possibly keeper movement judge, the other to be in the centre circle managing the players and sending the next kicker to the penalty area, including recording the numbers of the takers.
Understood and makes sense. Thanks!

If you were the AR in the center circle in a situation like this and starting to feel the temperature rise, obviously you're trying to manage things yourself. But is there a point when you get the CR to pause penalties and come over and continue to deescalate the situation? Just wondering what steps (if any) could have been taken to deescalate before it boiled over...

As for the bust up, we're done, going home. Let the FA and competition sort it out.

Players fighting..spectators on fighting. There is no promise that situation can be brought under and then remain under control.

The only other way I can see a resolution is to suspend the penalty shootout, have spectators removed from the ground and come back out for pens

I'd support any referee who opted for abandonment in these circumstances.

If you were the AR in the center circle in a situation like this and starting to feel the temperature rise, obviously you're trying to manage things yourself. But is there a point when you get the CR to pause penalties and come over and continue to deescalate the situation? Just wondering what steps (if any) could have been taken to deescalate before it boiled over...

Sure. The R is the guy in charge, and the AR can always bring him in to manage. Sometimes it can help, and sometimes it doesn't. Easier to bring the R over if there are cautions needed, but doesn't have to wait that long.

Agree with what has been said, some of those penalty saves just cannot be allowed. Doesn't really matter if the AR is inexperienced, the keeper is so far off the line for many of them the referee must be able to see it himself.

Once it all kicks off, there is no way they can restart the penalties and it had to be abandoned, just isn't worth the risk trying to restart, let the CFA and competition sort it out?

Anyone know what level it was? My first guess was a frass roots cup final, but there are a lot of people in the crowd.

Understood and makes sense. Thanks!

We can’t see from the video as there’s an edit before the handbags. Looks unlikely to be any of the players in the centre circle that have kicked off. Looks more like hangers on, fans, maybe benches.

As a ref I want safety first and I would not expect my AR1 to try and prevent what looks like a fairly violent pitch invasion.

I’ve always been told that you can give one slight step as the benefit of the doubt - but as @santa sangria and @RustyRef have said, at least 2 of these saves are two clear steps/leaps before it is kicked.

In regards to the match abandonment - no argument from me. Woeful behaviour and not referees responsibility to break up fights.

I’ve always been told that you can give one slight step as the benefit of the doubt - but as @santa sangria and @RustyRef have said, at least 2 of these saves are two clear steps/leaps before it is kicked.

In regards to the match abandonment - no argument from me. Woeful behaviour and not referees responsibility to break up fights.
Be careful of “always been told” on GK encroachment. U til a few years ago, GK encroachment was hardly called at all at the top levels. Now it is called for a centimeter off the line with VAR. IMO, the key now is certainty. We have to be certain the GK had both feet ahead of the line before the ball was kicked to make the call—we don’t have the benefit of a freeze frame that VAR gets. I don’t see that so much as how many steps, but as can I clearly tell that the second foot was ahead of the line before the ball was kicked. And that’s what I tell my ARs before the game, as I want them both thinking the same way. (Without ARs, I would imagine that essentially the GK is going to get a bit more latitude, as without being on the goal line it is going to be harder to be certain the GK is off the line.)

It looks bad re the GK encroachment. If the ref had stepped in after the first one and spoke to the keeper before the next one it may have prevented this. Assuming he hasn't spoken to the GKs, which is the absolute minimum reply with that amount of encroachment going on

Game abandoned due to a fan assaulting a player during the penalty shootout, they're just going to replay the shootout.
The League wanted the game replayed in full but Birmingham County FA overruled.

Supply League Cup game

www.hinckleyafc.co.uk

Atherstone shoot-out to be replayed - Hinckley AFC Official

The penalty shoot-out in Hinckley AFC’s League Cup semi-final tie against Atherstone Town will be replayed. The last four clash at Sheepy Road last week was abandoned with the shoot-out level at 1-1, following a 1-1 draw between the sides over 90 minutes. Because the 90 minutes was completed...
www.hinckleyafc.co.uk
www.hinckleyafc.co.uk

Back