A&H

Match Distance

Bombedcoma

Just wondering how far you guys run in a game on average? Currently at Step 5/6 I run around 11km on average. basically trying to work out if this is more than less than others so I can work out if I need to position myself better or get fitter!

The Referee Store
Just wondering how far you guys run in a game on average? Currently at Step 5/6 I run around 11km on average. basically trying to work out if this is more than less than others so I can work out if I need to position myself better or get fitter!
11km sounds excessive
As other discussions have highlighted, there's the potential for significant discrepancy between different GPS watches so hard to compare apples with apples. Personally, I don't think it's possible for me to exceed 10km at Step 5, even on a caged 4G pitch, because the ball is not in play enough

I've scored very well on Positioning & Movement without exceeding 10km (Garmin Tactical), so I wouldn't think about your mileage too much
Besides, I think there's potential to run excessively just to please the observer. Which may end up looking erratic and counter-productive

Thank you good to get some clarification! I did wonder if that was the case. I am not very quick but usually make up for it with work rate. I usually take it that to position myself better I need to 'work harder', but seems maybe I need to 'work smarter'!

Obviously every game is slightly different.

My average last season was 8.58km, so far this season it's 8.78km. Only done over 10km once this year and once last year. So from my own personal experience, I would agree that 11km is too much!

I'm Level 7, but always doing 18s,21s or mens. I hit 11km once this season, on a game that went on forever with a mass con and ect, and I think that probably recorded me over a KM over. Currently averaging around 7.5km, and that's with me adjusting for error in my watch

After 19 middles this season so far at mostly step 5/6 this is my average.
11km seems a tad high, as you’ve already alluded to it may be a case of working smarter and anticipating play a little more rather than reacting to it and then putting more miles in the legs that’s you need to.

5674422C-D6EC-4691-99A1-319ADE36B049.jpeg

Average so far for me this season is 8.2km. that's covering broad range from step 3 to step 6.
As big cat eludes it's very difficult to compare unless we all use the same device.
I've never gone over 10km in a game and very rarely get to 9. Max this season is 8.78.
Regularly get complemented on fitness as a strength so I'm not worried.

After 19 middles this season so far at mostly step 5/6 this is my average.
11km seems a tad high, as you’ve already alluded to it may be a case of working smarter and anticipating play a little more rather than reacting to it and then putting more miles in the legs that’s you need to.

View attachment 6251
Lower running in 2nd halves?? 🤔🤣

Regularly running long distances can sometimes be a bad thing as opposed to a good thing, as it can mean you are being reactive rather than proactive, and / or your starting positions need work.

Regularly running long distances can sometimes be a bad thing as opposed to a good thing, as it can mean you are being reactive rather than proactive, and / or your starting positions need work.

Or you can have the misfortune of doing a game that consists of excessive amounts of "kick ball"!

More seriously, if you watch some very experienced refs who's legs are past their "sell by" date, you can be amazed by how often they are where they need to be even though they are slower than molasses. By reading the game better, they reduce their need to run radically. (And they have a habit of moving toward plays as they make important calls, so it often looks like they were closer than they were.) I hope to be one of those sneaky old dudes sometime down the road.

More seriously, if you watch some very experienced refs who's legs are past their "sell by" date, you can be amazed by how often they are where they need to be even though they are slower than molasses. By reading the game better, they reduce their need to run radically. (And they have a habit of moving toward plays as they make important calls, so it often looks like they were closer than they were.) I hope to be one of those sneaky old dudes sometime down the road.

I've said this before, but Bjorn Kuipers in the last Euros was a master at doing these things. Very, very rarely did he ever seem to break more than a moderate jog, yet he never seemed to be out of position. His experience and ability to read the game meant he was able to be where he needed to be without an excessive amount of running. It was impressive to watch.

Back