A&H

match off but pitch fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I got a text at 9pm last night saying the pitch was unplayable for today.

I was surprised as i reffed there yesterday morning so i went to the pitch at 9am this morning. Pitch was absolutely fine.

I took some pictures of the two goalmouths and a few more and submitted them to the league. I believe the venue belongs to the parish council.

I was told the league offered this team a different venue "but they didn't respond".

I've suggested the team are fined for non-fulfilment and i am paid my match fee.

I await a response from the league.

The Referee Store
I'm not really sure why you'd go to the ground and check. If the club, league, council decide the game is off, then it's off.

If the parish council have said the game cannot go ahead, then that's the answer. Ultimately it belongs to them.

You could maybe ask what pitch inspection was carried out to come to the ground being deemed unfit, but I think you've gone a tad too far in your responsibilities.

I went because i knew something wasn't right. I was there yesterday morning.

When they last played the away team they lost 12-0.

The text was from the home team - 'i'm sure the parish council don't call off games at 9pm the nigh before.

I await the league's response.

I have never gone this far but in my league this weekend games are being called off all over the place because of the 'weather'. It hasn't rained here for at least 3 days!

Something suspicious may well be going on, but it's not really your business to look into it. Your job is to referee a football match. If you're asked to perform a pitch inspection, that's fine.

But if it is called off by other parties, then you just have to get on with it. The council pitches near me were called off on Thursday, yet we haven't had any rain since about Wednesday. But saying that, the grass still looks quite wet as we had so much rain. So pitch preservation could be what is happening.

I went because i knew something wasn't right. I was there yesterday morning.

When they last played the away team they lost 12-0.

The text was from the home team - 'i'm sure the parish council don't call off games at 9pm the nigh before.

I await the league's response.
Why would the home team get a non-fulfillment fine when they text you to query the game being called off?

Thanks for your helpful replies.

The league will decide what happens.

This team didn't fancy playing and I could of reffed other games.

Sounds like some on here believe all they are told.

Something suspicious may well be going on, but it's not really your business to look into it. Your job is to referee a football match. If you're asked to perform a pitch inspection, that's fine.

But if it is called off by other parties, then you just have to get on with it. The council pitches near me were called off on Thursday, yet we haven't had any rain since about Wednesday. But saying that, the grass still looks quite wet as we had so much rain. So pitch preservation could be what is happening.
Did you read my op?

I reffed there yesterday and it was fine.

Confused.
You said the home team text you, seemingly perplexed as to the game being called off by the parish council. But then you said you suggested they be fined for non-fulfillment

Thanks for your helpful replies.

The league will decide what happens.

This team didn't fancy playing and I could of reffed other games.

Sounds like some on here believe all they are told.
It's not about believing all what you are told. More that it isn't really any of the referees business. If the league believe the club have done this for reasons other than an unfit pitch, its for them to deal with.

Yes it's an inconvenience to you as it means you miss out on a game, but that's happened to all of us.

The home team called the game off at 9pm. They are no perplexed.

The league offered another pitch but they declined.

The above reads to me that the home team seem quite perplexed by it being called off. I could well be reading it wrong of course

If it's off, it's off. We know as refs, the nature of our work during winter makes it unreliable, and not a stable source of income at any time, but certainly Nov/Dec/Jan.

If it's off before the day of the game, it's off, why meddle?

If there's something dodgy, leagues will often pick it up, and regardless of that, they will have to play that away team at some point, and face another 12-0.

The above reads to me that the home team seem quite perplexed by it being called off. I could well be reading it wrong of course
you misundersttood what i was conveying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back