A&H

'Mine! Mine!'

heedmatt

Level 7 Referee
One I thought i'd share from my first open age game the other week.

Had a player run up to me in the middle of the game (this bloke is at least 30) as the ball is in play shouting 'Ref, he's shouting "MINE!", you need to book him!'. The game was quite end-to-end and I was chasing the play down the field so I heard him but felt pretty puzzled by what he'd said so left it for then. At the next stoppage in play when I was near the complainer, I said 'What was that about "Mine"?', and he said 'He's shouting MINE as the balls coming down from the goal kick, he can't shout that, get him booked!'. Cue much bewilderment from myself and his surrounding teammates. I told him that he can say what he wants provided that it's not OFFINABUS. Sadly for him he got a right good ribbing after the game (see picture below!).

200_s.gif

The only thing I could think of was harping back to my primary school days where it was drilled into us not to say 'mine' and to shout our names when going up for a ball, for fear of 10 press ups.

Anyone else had anything else utterly baffling like this?

The Referee Store
One I thought i'd share from my first open age game the other week.

Had a player run up to me in the middle of the game (this bloke is at least 30) as the ball is in play shouting 'Ref, he's shouting "MINE!", you need to book him!'. The game was quite end-to-end and I was chasing the play down the field so I heard him but felt pretty puzzled by what he'd said so left it for then. At the next stoppage in play when I was near the complainer, I said 'What was that about "Mine"?', and he said 'He's shouting MINE as the balls coming down from the goal kick, he can't shout that, get him booked!'. Cue much bewilderment from myself and his surrounding teammates. I told him that he can say what he wants provided that it's not OFFINABUS. Sadly for him he got a right good ribbing after the game (see picture below!).

200_s.gif

The only thing I could think of was harping back to my primary school days where it was drilled into us not to say 'mine' and to shout our names when going up for a ball, for fear of 10 press ups.

Anyone else had anything else utterly baffling like this?

If you considered the shouts of "mine" as deceiving an opponent you should have awarded an indirect free kick to the opposing team and caution the shouter!

It's not baffling, players believe that it's actually in the laws that nothing other said players name can be uttered when they get the ball, unless of course they are telling you what they think of your last decision.

What's important is if the player is shouting or saying stuff to distract or put off a player.

I should point out that the player clearly wasn't trying to deceive, he was shouting 'mine' as he went up for the ball.

I think what baffled me was that someone could think that was against the LOTG.

I got taught when I played football a few years ago (and I still see coaches teaching it now) that you HAVE to put a name on the ball and nothing else. Of course I believed it up until reading the book myself just before I started my refs course... never seen a ref give a FK for "mine" or anything similar though. Seen them given for screaming at the top of your voice as a player goes through on goal though. Actually spoke with a ref who DOGSO'd somebody for it. Don't think he's reffed since.

As a long-time youth coach, I have seen more than one referee give an IFK (without a booking) for "leave it" or similar when there was no opposition player anywhere near the ball. It's no wonder the players get confused...

You could dogso for it I guess. Any offence which attracts a direct or indirect freekick that denies a goal scoring opportunity. Defender chasing a striker and screams out MISS! at him as he goes to shoot? Is there a better example than that? That seems to fit but is a little weak maybe.

Would be an interesting one to watch (please never put me in a position where this is something I am thinking of doing!) :D

You could dogso for it I guess. Any offence which attracts a direct or indirect freekick that denies a goal scoring opportunity. Defender chasing a striker and screams out MISS! at him as he goes to shoot? Is there a better example than that? That seems to fit but is a little weak maybe.

Would be an interesting one to watch (please never put me in a position where this is something I am thinking of doing!) :D

Hope you're joking monkey. DOGSO can only apply to a penal offence?

EDIT: Oops wrong!! But what IDFK offences could possibly genuinely constitute dogso? :eek:

It's always amazed me how that myth still exists, it comes up several times a season and I don't think I've ever punished a player shouting 'mine'.

Love the Finding Nemo reference :D

Impeding is an obvious one. Playing In a dangerous manner possibly.

Distraction seems very unlikely, but ....

:D

Hope you're joking monkey. DOGSO can only apply to a penal offence?

EDIT: Oops wrong!! But what IDFK offences could possibly genuinely constitute dogso? :eek:

A fair few I guess.... maybe 'high foot', causing the player to stop running towards goal for fear of being hit? ;)

I really don't think any IDFK can be considered DOGSO, if we're putting our actual game heads on here...

How about a substitute warming up and standing off the field of play, throws something at an attacker who is through on goal, about to shoot, next defender is 15 yards behind?

I wouldn't be sending him for DOGSO here but for VC, treating the thrown object as an extension of the arm and therefore an attempt to strike! It's certainly a more serious offence.

Restart would still be an IDFK.

Lol just trying to make something fit, no matter what the stretch of the imagination!

Back to the original point , I think quite a few clever players do play on the limit of deliberately putting opponents off!!

even putting a name on the ball when you are nowhere near the challenge , and when keepers come running out shouting ...KEEPERS BALL !!! when he is obviously not getting it is IMO deliberately putting the striker off ?

Very grey area for me , so I give nothing for names and shouts that are part of the game

On the other hand shouting Bang or your **** or making stupid childish noises when someone is gonna shoot im pretty hot on them ;)

I really don't think any IDFK can be considered DOGSO, if we're putting our actual game heads on here...

Monkey suggests impeding, which, given the right scenario, would be easy to identify and easy to justify and is not difficult to imagine. Perhaps you missed it, ELP, but how could your 'game head' argue against it if it happened.

P121 of LOTG -If a player denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity by playing in a dangerous manner, the referee should send off the player.

As to DOGSO, I don't believe you can give it for distracting as there is no "offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick." If you believe that a player has distracted another you stop the game to issue a caution for USB and the restart is an IDFK; the IDFK is not the penalty for distracting it is just the specified re-start (which is also why any IDFK given for shouting "mine", "leave it" etc is incorrect unless a caution is given to the shouter).

Monkey suggests impeding, which, given the right scenario, would be easy to identify and easy to justify and is not difficult to imagine. Perhaps you missed it, ELP, but how could your 'game head' argue against it if it happened.

Sure, but impeding is a grey area anyway as it stands. I can think of twice in probably hundred games or so where I've given a free kick for impeding, so imagining a situation where a player would be stupid enough to do it in a DOGSO fashion is hard...

I also would think twice about whether impeding would be a DOGSO offence in a lot of cases... impeding generally is a player stepping across into somebodies path, for them to do that they have to be in the rough path of where the player is heading (assuming the ball), so... I'm not sure.

Back