A&H

MNC vs CHE red card Greenwood

• Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

What do we think about the time wasting 2nd YC leading to dismissal for MNC captain Alex Greenwood?

Seemed harsh and a bit prima donna refereeing for me? At least the ref was consistent and gave a second RC for dissent based on the first one plus a clear YC challenge

The Referee Store
Yeah it seems harsh in the clips I’ve seen, I can only assume there’s been prior warnings. In isolation it certainly seems unnecessary

Yeah it seems harsh in the clips I’ve seen, I can only assume there’s been prior warnings. In isolation it certainly seems unnecessary
I watched the game ... ref didn't appear to issue any warnings... but it's hard to be sure! Certainly no warning during the incident

Nearly 30 seconds to take a free kick that included an attempt to take it then the player dropping back as if she’s going long, then a stuttered run up followed by a circular run up that looked like she was running away from the ball, perhaps for someone else to take it. I’m not surprised the ref considered it timewasting.

However is it worth a second caution? Probably not. If you watch it closely the ref pulls yellow card from her shorts pocket, flashes it at at the player, then looks at the card to notice that the player had already been cautioned. I think in that moment she hadn’t realised it was a second caution, but once the card was shown there was no going back.

Later in the game when she issues another 2nd caution she pulls both cards from a shirt pocket, maybe again showing that in the first sending off she hadn’t realised it was going to be a second caution.

I watched the game ... ref didn't appear to issue any warnings... but it's hard to be sure! Certainly no warning during the incident
There was a whistle that I thought might have been the “get going” warning before the card—but on the clip I saw the R wasn’t in the screen, so hard to tell.

As an isolated incident, hard to see why the caution, but without prior context and seeing the actual R during the lead up to the card, I’m not quite ready to say it was wrong. But I certainly can’t say there is enough evidence to support it as a good call, either.

Surprised it's taken this long for someone to mention it.

Pundits and social media are loosing their minds over this, with the majority ripping into the referee and yet none of them seemed to have stopped and asked the question why is she taking 26 seconds to take a free kick in her own half? Brought it on herself especially when she stopped and stepped back from a half hearted run to then play the ball short.

Absolutely zero sympathy. What we need now is a men's Premier League referee to have the balls to do the same and the message might finally start getting through, but I doubt it as the clampdown on timewasting still appears to be inconsistently and selectively applied.

Pundits and social media are loosing their minds over this, with the majority ripping into the referee and yet none of them seemed to have stopped and asked the question why is she taking 26 seconds to take a free kick in her own half? Brought it on herself especially when she stopped and stepped back from a half hearted run to then play the ball short.

Absolutely zero sympathy. What we need now is a men's Premier League referee to have the balls to do the same and the message might finally start getting through, but I doubt it as the clampdown on timewasting still appears to be inconsistently and selectively applied.
Fully agree. Saw comments from the City Manager and pundits who were pretty critical of the referee. But 26 seconds or so to get the ball back into play is taking the p*ss.

We even got the standard ‘never played the game’ from some. Think the City Manager was saying that before you play the ball, you look in every direction before playing it. Whilst that is correct, surely it shouldn’t take a professional footballer 26 seconds to make a decision.

But it just goes to show that no matter what referees do, we will never win. You try to speed the game up and ensure the ball is in play for the longest time possible (see this and also the added time) but then people still moan. Think the worst arguement I’ve heard out of all of this is the ‘player welfare’ arguement. Absolute load of tosh.

I feel that it's difficult to comment without an uncut clip of the incident from when the free kick was awarded. However I'm fairly sure that if this was not a second caution there would have been universal acclaim for the referee. I would like to see the caution more consistently given, including when it is a second caution, to set the right expectation that the law will be enforced.

EDIT - the full incident is on iPlayer - go to 54:00 mins on the video timer or 36:50 on the match timer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001rcgf/womens-super-league-202324-manchester-city-v-chelsea
I'm definitely happy with that caution.

Last edited:
Yeah, in the full clip it's a very clearly slow restart - alarm bells would have been ringing after the first aborted run-up, no issues with this at all.
Yeah, agreed. The full clip shows all the relevant context. Player stands still with the ball for a good 7-8 seconds before even looking like they’re attempting to play… (and that’s where the twitter clips start).

A caution 🟨 is meant to be exactly that. “You’ve done something silly, don’t do a silly thing again” and then the player… does something silly.

If that was the player’s first yellow, no one’s moaning.

26 seconds is ridiculous, some pundits moaning the average is 30 seconds (which includes from the whistle being blown) but the point is to get that down to a reasonable amount!

I think it's because this forum rarely looks at women's football which is why I raised it. I think she went out on a limb as consistency is not present here on game delaying YC in both the WSL and EPL. In particular the closing down of corners and free kicks to stop a fast one. I'm all for YC here but consistency is key and this was so isolated it gained the heat for the commentarati.. and raised my comment.. if it was an instruction to WSL referees then the weekend games I saw highlights of contained at least 6 other instances of delaying restart YC infractions......

We even got the standard ‘never played the game’ from some. Think the City Manager was saying that before you play the ball, you look in every direction before playing it. Whilst that is correct, surely it shouldn’t take a professional footballer 26 seconds to make a decision.
The referee, Emily Heaslip, is a former professional player who played in the women's Championship and the WSL!
Kind of puts that argument to bed 😂

"She's not purposely time-wasting. She's allowing her teammates to move up the pitch, to get into position. If you're a footballer, an ex-footballer, you know these things"

The usual 'players know more than officials' drivel from the commentator.

I've nothing wrong with the approach per se, however a standardised set of examples of acceptable/unacceptable movements or expectations, or times would be good...it all feels ad hoc and penalising this is dependant on how the ref feels at any given time.

How restarts works in futsal is great, not expecting or hoping for the same thing here, just something that can ensure consistency. I bet this wasn't the longest example of 'delaying the restart' from the game...

I think we'd all prefer a loud blast on the whistle and a 'get on with it', but we all know that would have just left to 'gee, she loves her whistle'

I think we'd all prefer a loud blast on the whistle and a 'get on with it', but we all know that would have just left to 'gee, she loves her whistle'

She does blow her whistle at 54:14 (13 seconds after blowing for the foul at 54:01) and it's another 15 seconds before she blows again for the caution.

Exactly. They love their whistle and want to make it all about them.... that's what would be said.

Considering where the FK is being taken from, I'd imagine that the referee is shouting to get a move on, as well as the AR. I'd be very very surprised if this was done with no word of warning

Back