A&H

My first personal hearing...

Yes some kind of team representative - secretary or whomever - generally the most eloquent person involved with the club.

The main thing to bear in mind. Get your bit done, walk out, forget about it. What happens next is no longer your concern.

The Referee Store
Got the dreaded letter today for one. My first too, OA game but this one I was on my own, no assistants. Not liking the fact that CFA HQ is almost a 100 mile round trip either!
Look on the bright side ELP !!!! your gonna get to see the new building all your hard work dishing out Yellow and Red cards has paid for!!:)

Look on the bright side ELP !!!! your gonna get to see the new building all your hard work dishing out Yellow and Red cards has paid for!!:)

Hahaha Beezer you never fail you make me chuckle! Got this one then expecting another hearing RE a match abandonment... possibly two in a month. Gah. Get the first one over and done with first though. Just waiting to hear back with a date.

just to clarify, i was under the impression that the 'accused' could only ask you questions via the panel and not directly, as a couple of posts above appear to suggest

As hullref said - match fee + travel expenses.

you never did clear this one up, monkey. was 'match fee' just a slip of the mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do these things tend to last Monkey?

Obviously I understand it depend on offence, circumstances etc.

Have you had to attend many in the past @Supermonkey ?

Would be interesting to get @Brian Hamilton 's opinion on these affairs also?
Ross' explanation covers it all, except you get to claim your travel expenses. I've only been to 3 (one of the benefits of being good at writing reports) and none lasted longer than 15 minutes.

just to clarify, i was under the impression that the 'accused' could only ask you questions via the panel and not directly, as a couple of posts above appear to suggest

you never did clear this one up, monkey. was 'match fee' just a slip of the mind?

The Welsh system appears different to the English systen.

In the Welsh system you get your match fee (whatever you charged for the game) plus travel expenses of 35 p per mile for attending. However, it also seems you have to put in a bit more work than you guys!

My previous club had a great experience. One of our players was charged with making an insulting/abusive gesture to the referee after the game and thus the club were charged with failing to control the player (2 charges in total) so we went through the discipline hearing and were found not guilty for the abusive/insulting remarks but guilty for failing to control the player :confused::confused:

When we asked the panel how they could find us guilty of one but not the other their reply was "Well we think something went down but we can't prove it". ???????????:confused::confused:

As the player was leaving the room at the end of the hearing a member of the panel said to him "and don't cause us any more problems in the future" to which he replied "how can i have caused problems if you've found me not guilty"

The whole thing was a farce from the CFA, if only we had the funds to take it any further into the appeals process :mad::rolleyes:

Is the process any different if I am reported by a manager.

To give a quick summary, one player wasn't happy with when I ended the game, he kept moaning until the handshakes were about to start, so I explained in a respectful but firm manner, to which his manager said I couldn't talk to him like that. I once again explained my decision and he came over and asked my name (he could've got it off the website) he didn't say he would report me but that's the impression I got.

Is the process any different if I am reported by a manager.

To give a quick summary, one player wasn't happy with when I ended the game, he kept moaning until the handshakes were about to start, so I explained in a respectful but firm manner, to which his manager said I couldn't talk to him like that. I once again explained my decision and he came over and asked my name (he could've got it off the website) he didn't say he would report me but that's the impression I got.
The process is identical, if it gets as far as the County Fa charging you jack. I've been there and the case was dismissed due to lack of evidence. The same club however did incur a largish fine for their actions in the same game.

I should add that clubs often threaten to report a referee. Unless you have committed an act of misconduct (similar to something for which a player would be charged), you are unlikely to hear any more about it.

Thanks Brian, I've spoke to the leagues ref secretary and he's said that if he does report me, given what I've said, he hasn't got a leg to stand on

Thanks Brian, I've spoke to the leagues ref secretary and he's said that if he does report me, given what I've said, he hasn't got a leg to stand on

Although what you told the ref sec that you'd said (which you shouldn't have done, by the way), may, of course, differ from what the manager and his player say that you said

Although what you told the ref sec that you'd said (which you shouldn't have done, by the way), may, of course, differ from what the manager and his player say that you said
If a referee can't talk to the secretary who appointed him to a game, about that game, who would you expect him to talk to?

It was an under 10's game, which in these parts is non competitive football (I'll save that rant for another time) so issues regarding referees which are raised by managers are dealt with internally by the league (I'm not sure why but that's how it is).

I messaged the refs sec. to ask a few questions about the incident and he asked for my version of what happens, so he knows incase anything comes of it

what's to talk about, the guy asked him for his name.

jack's 'he could've got it off the website' comment makes me think that the guy might just have a case

sure, jack, it just came across to me as sounding a little arrogant

i can come across as sounding more than a little arrogant from time to time but i would never have that 'website' thought

no biggy

I understand your point Haywain

It was more the point that, every weekend managers get your contact details of the league websites so they can contact you. And they use the website to check their fixtures

Back