A&H

Need more challenging games

How many games have you done?
Age group distribution of the games? Many Division 1 games? You must be 18 or just over, right?
Turned 18 in the summer and I’ve probably done around 6 or 7 middles and about the same amount as AR. I try to get a game every weekend but I’m limited as I don’t drive yet [EDIT] and no I haven’t got many div 1 games. Had a County Cup first round but that was THE easiest game I’ve ever had

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I did around 2 years at the junior levels. No issues with the players really, just over enthusiastic coaches and nobby parents.... Learn your craft slowly and move up in good time, baby steps. If you run before you can walk and it may end in tears!! Some great advice on here usually.....Have a read!

If you wish for an elephant - make sure your back garden's big enough. ;)
Hahah, obviously I don’t want anything that I literally can’t handle but just a little bit of dissent, maybe a DOGSO too...

Hahah, obviously I don’t want anything that I literally can’t handle but just a little bit of dissent, maybe a DOGSO too...
Opportunities must be limited without a car (or bike?)
Keep in mind also, that every other ref at the disposal of your league(s) will be higher up the food chain. It take's time to get up and running

Opportunities must be limited without a car (or bike?)
Keep in mind also, that every other ref at the disposal of your league(s) will be higher up the food chain. It take's time to get up and running
There are quite a lot of teams on the train line but I usually catch the train and get a taxi for a few quid

There is no guarantee that the higher up you referee or the older the age group that the games will be tougher or more challenging.

Some of the toughest ones ive had have been U13/14 games.

There is no guarantee that the higher up you referee or the older the age group that the games will be tougher or more challenging.

Some of the toughest ones ive had have been U13/14 games.
I’m not having it that an U13 game is technically harder than a game at U16-U18, you may get the odd one but it shouldn’t even be comparable. Wait till you get to OA! 😂

Reactions: JH
Bear in mind parents....it can make a tough 13s tougher
Agreed, but the actual game stuff shouldn't be harder, the players are still learning, By 18 some could play at OA and have all the tools!! The fouls are a bit more meant and they understand formations and tactics etc. The gobs are also fully developed!!

Agreed, but the actual game stuff shouldn't be harder, the players are still learning, By 18 some could play at OA and have all the tools!! The fouls are a bit more meant and they understand formations and tactics etc. The gobs are also fully developed!!

Yes and no, least when you sorting out a 18 you are dealing with one , but with a 13 you got parents going, awwwww you cant do that...

Yes and no, least when you sorting out a 18 you are dealing with one , but with a 13 you got parents going, awwwww you cant do that...

I sacked off refereeing my sons teams parents in the first season...... They wanted a homer and they employed the wrong bloke!!! Learn to have the lah, lah, lah ears!!

One of the best goals i've ever seen scored refereeing was in an U8's game, 35 yard sweet volley, you just had to stand and clap!!! If he's not a professional now I'd be surprised!! It was a parental invasion from one side.. LOL!!!!

If you apply for promotion, they'll throw you some difficult ones to see if you sink or swim. :)

If you apply for promotion, they'll throw you some difficult ones to see if you sink or swim. :)
Surely there must be a way to get more challenging games to practice otherwise I probably will sink if I haven’t had tough situations😭

Surely there must be a way to get more challenging games to practice otherwise I probably will sink if I haven’t had tough situations😭

They will come with doing more games though. How many middles did you say you’d done? 10? Hardly representative, the more you do, the more tougher ones you’ll get

Back