A&H

Netherlands V Ireland under 17s KFTPM

You cannot force anybody to put on a shirt someone else has been wearing!
And we are commenting on whether we at grass roots would flag, or expect an AR to flag, making the op relevant to the majority of us on here?
If we are bring exact, the replacement gk would need to change socks too (if you are referring to this fifa example )

Of course you can force him to change shirt. Say what you like, in this scenario, in a game of this magnitude, he is changing his shirt. Simple as that.

Grass roots then yes, i would use common sense.

The Referee Store
Of course you can force him to change shirt. Say what you like, in this scenario, in a game of this magnitude, he is changing his shirt. Simple as that.

Grass roots then yes, i would use common sense.

My point is, you cannot make him wear a shirt that somebody else was wearing

Sorry but common sense does not come into when you are refereeing in a European Championship. Had he allowed him to keep his green shirt on he would have been hammered by the observer.
I kind of disagree with this. Common sense is used in every game. Your hands are tight in some situations but in some other ones you have more wiggle room. Any observer with a bit of common sense (non-pedantic) would just shrug it off if jerseys were not changed. Its far from being KPI for a hammering.

The reason behind the colours clause for keepers is so that they are "distinguishable from the other players and the match officials". In this circumstance, the fact that he is wearing gloves makes him clearly distinguishable.

Why on the shirt? Common sense?
Where or how can there be a clash and at grass roots, are you really going to demand an outfield player puts on someone elses sweaty dirty, possibly blood stained shirt!? ( yes am assuming the team have one gk top, and even if they have a second its in the changing room five min walk away)
A bib, maybe

Given the referee has just applied a mandatory law to send the keeper off, it seems a little absurd to argue that he should ignore the more obvious mandatory law that the keeper must wear a different jersey!

Was it worthy of a retake? Well, IMO this is where the standard SHOULD be set. He's clearly come off the line (I know the back foot came forward than back, but he's still well in front of the line), and diving to the side makes a difference here.

Given he didn't dive that much, did coming off the line have an impact?
That, and - consistency is always an issue with these decisions.

Of course, we're only talking about it because it's one of those universally ignored laws.

And because the 2nd caution is a stupid law. But does that mandatory law still apply at KFTM?

I kind of disagree with this. Common sense is used in every game. Your hands are tight in some situations but in some other ones you have more wiggle room. Any observer with a bit of common sense (non-pedantic) would just shrug it off if jerseys were not changed. Its far from being KPI for a hammering.

The reason behind the colours clause for keepers is so that they are "distinguishable from the other players and the match officials". In this circumstance, the fact that he is wearing gloves makes him clearly distinguishable.

Ok, so after years of hard work you are selected to represent your country at a major tournament, you do well in the group stages and are given the honour of a quarter final appointment and during KFTPM the above happens and you tell the new keeper, dont worry i am going to ignore the LOTG, you are clearly the new goalkeeper because you are wearing gloves. Go on mate, you go in net wearing your green outfield shirt.

It would look wrong, it would be wrong and you would be on the next plane home for certain, eliminating you from a possible semi final or final appointment.

Ok, so after years of hard work you are selected to represent your country at a major tournament, you do well in the group stages and are given the honour of a quarter final appointment and during KFTPM the above happens and you tell the new keeper, dont worry i am going to ignore the LOTG, you are clearly the new goalkeeper because you are wearing gloves. Go on mate, you go in net wearing your green outfield shirt.

It would look wrong, it would be wrong and you would be on the next plane home for certain, eliminating you from a possible semi final or final appointment.
I take that as being humorous. After all they say sarcasm the the lowest form of humour :) . No i wont tell them anything. If they change, fine by me but if he only takes the gloves, ill allow it.

If we are talking about "mandatory" and "the level of tournament" and textbook refereeing, the referee violated at least two or three competition regulations clauses by making the field player wear the keeper's jersey :)

1526382246272.png
1526382500715.png

I take that as being humorous. After all they say sarcasm the the lowest form of humour :) . No i wont tell them anything. If they change, fine by me but if he only takes the gloves, ill allow it.

If we are talking about "mandatory" and "the level of tournament" and textbook refereeing, the referee violated at least two or three competition regulations clauses by making the field player wear the keeper's jersey :)

View attachment 1955
View attachment 1957

WOW just WOW!!! The fact you have gone to so much trouble to prove me wrong, just WOW!!!!!! Seriously, how much time do you have on your hands to root out and read the competition rules to try and prove me wrong?????

At what point have i been sarcastic? Or Humorous?

All of this because the referee was right to have the keeper swap shirts, which by the way he was, 100% correct in law and did the right thing.

WOW just WOW!!! The fact you have gone to so much trouble to prove me wrong, just WOW!!!!!! Seriously, how much time do you have on your hands to root out and read the competition rules to try and prove me wrong?????

All of this because the referee was right to have the keeper swap shirts, which by the way he was, 100% correct in law and did the right thing.
I work smart, not hard :D. Took me less that 3 minutes to find it. One google search for "uefa under 17 championship 2018 regulations", second link in the results is the document. In the document search for "number" or "shirt" and you get tot he clauses very quickly.

and you tell the new keeper, dont worry i am going to ignore the LOTG, you are clearly the new goalkeeper because you are wearing gloves. Go on mate, you go in net wearing your green outfield shirt.

I have a feeling this debate is becoming counter productive :(

There's nothing wrong with @one doing a bit of digging into the tournament rules. Don't kid yourself. We're all that way inclined to a varying degree, otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum...

I work smart, not hard :D. Took me less that 3 minutes to find it. One google search for "uefa under 17 championship 2018 regulations", second link in the results is the document. In the document search for "number" or "shirt" and you get tot he clauses very quickly.

I have a feeling this debate is becoming counter productive :(

Good for you, well done!!

First thing we agree on today, very counter productive.

Reactions: one
Yip, lets hope even at fifa level every squad player has a goalie shirt handy just in case...
The keeper will have multiple shirts.
Heck, put a T-shirt on if there's absolutely nothing. That satisfies the LOTG and the FA can deal with a competition rules breach, if they choose to.

I find it weird that people on here would allow a keeper to use the same jersey at their team.

Last edited:
The thread has digressed from an incident of interest (the totally inconsistent application of a Law over many years) to a squabble over something much less important

Back