A&H

Netherlands V Ireland under 17s KFTPM

The thread has digressed from an incident of interest (the totally inconsistent application of a Law over many years) to a squabble over something much less important

I couldn't agree more, that is because certain people are never wrong or more worryingly cant allow other people to be right. They would have a debate in an empty room that night was day just with a dark sky!!!!

The Referee Store
I think if you have this in Parks football you’d get lynched. This type of stuff at this margin of error is laughable. Yes there needs to be a law but FFS, this is ridiculously close to being like 99% of other similar penalties where closing angles down is trained into GKs

What next, we go back to every throw in decision and see if anyone has pinched 6’’.... Jobsworth Lino looking to be centre of attention!

And given we know the gk can change places with any remaining team mate in kftpm, would in the extreme case, we make each player don full gk outfit if they changed gk on every kick?

The referee is getting absolutely slated everywhere because his AR threw him under the bus. But, of course, those who understand nothing about refereeing are saying he should 'never referee again'. Then again, I'm not surprised when even an ex-pro referee (Mark Halsey) is blaming the referee on twitter, saying he was 'looking for trouble' and 'should have just played on' - didn't mention the AR.

Reactions: one
Well surely in the name of consistancy we need to apply the same thinking each time?
We dont get to pick and choose when to enfiorce things

Well surely in the name of consistancy we need to apply the same thinking each time?
We dont get to pick and choose when to enfiorce things

You just keep clutching at straws to justify your own ridiculous argument that you are right and lets not bore everyone else with this pathetic debate any longer.

I never said I was right, I said I would let the replacement gk wear a standard top, I did not say anyone who made him change was wrong.

I have no problem with the retake law, but I said at the time the mandatory caution for it would cause problems. Why does the keeper need to be cautioned? They haven't gained and advantage, the penalty is being retaken, and if anything it prevents encroachment from being penalised (although this AR didn't read that memo … :))

Is it absurb to suggest maybe the ref told the AR to flag for the next one?

The Ireland manager says that the ref said that both goalkeepers had already been warned after coming off the line at previous kicks.

Surely the AR wont have actually flagged for this? Buzzers and comms will be in use at this level.

The Ireland manager says that the ref said that both goalkeepers had already been warned after coming off the line at previous kicks.

Surely the AR wont have actually flagged for this? Buzzers and comms will be in use at this level.

Thats the point am making, If there has been prev warnimgs, maybe ref said to AR, flag the next one? ( team work, sold decision?).

And given we know the gk can change places with any remaining team mate in kftpm, would in the extreme case, we make each player don full gk outfit if they changed gk on every kick?
GK shirt, yes. Don't care about shorts and socks.

On a side note, I've never understood why the referee stands up near the kicker. I mean, you only have 3 decisions to make:
- Whether the kicker stopped and started or something like that
- Whether the keeper came off their line
- Whether the ball crossed the line.

Standing near the kicker only lets you see one of those. Standing on the goal line lets you see all 3.

The situation we have is that the AR puts the ref in hot water by calling encroachments - it would be better if the referee was in the position for that to make the big decisions themselves.
IMO the traditional KFTM positioning just doesn't make any sense.

Fifa are, or used to be, huge about gk having diff socks...

I wouls say standing 12 yards out allows you to see encrouchment.

Yeah but that's a competition rule, not LOTG.

I'd agree that the AR should really only be calling ball in/out and the referee should be judging encroachment. But the typical instruction is for the AR to judge it - and it sounds like the AR did call it here, when IMO this should be the domain of the referee and not the AR.

You can just about see from the very first time the kick is played that there's an upwards flicker of something yellow on the right hand edge of the screen. For me, that means the AR flagged it almost out of camera shot, so has made that decision and the ref then can't ignore him.

GK shirt, yes. Don't care about shorts and socks.

On a side note, I've never understood why the referee stands up near the kicker. I mean, you only have 3 decisions to make:
- Whether the kicker stopped and started or something like that
- Whether the keeper came off their line
- Whether the ball crossed the line.

Standing near the kicker only lets you see one of those. Standing on the goal line lets you see all 3.

The situation we have is that the AR puts the ref in hot water by calling encroachments - it would be better if the referee was in the position for that to make the big decisions themselves.
IMO the traditional KFTM positioning just doesn't make any sense.
Irony is in ECL there are three officials crowding it and the ref still has a poor position (unless play continues of course!)

Futsal has it "right" on this... R1 stands on the line and R2 in line with the ball at penalties...

For long 10m penalties (kicks from the secondary penalty mark) R1 on the line and R2 in line with the ball... but this is not really "right" and actually round my way R2 goes to the imaginary line 5m from goal/long penno spot which is the limit of GK encroachment...

Back